Olympus D-40 Zoom (C-40 Zoom)

Announced Sep 2, 2001 •
4 megapixels | 1.5 screen | 35 – 98 mm (2.8×)

At top resolution, the files produced by this camera are massive, but its worth it, 'cos the image quality is breathtaking! Easy to use, from the start, but the menus take longer to navigate. Odd that at this price, the smartmedia card is of the older pull-it-out-yourself type, not the sprung version. Also, memory slot not well placed on underside. The chunky shape satisfies and it looks good. A very desirable fashion accessory. Problems: SM slot position, menus, etc.

I really like the look oof this camera and my only reservation about buying it is that I want a camera that I can use with Apple's iphoto software. This camera is not listed on Apple's iphoto compatability list. Is anybody using this camera with a mac succesfully ? jon_bailey@mac.com

I have had my D-40Z for 3 weeks and find it easy to use. Menu system is simple compared to many other manufacturers' cameras. I like the sound option on stills and video. Lens quality is good and having manual control important to me. Having lots of fun. I sell digital cameras for a living and consider the D-40Z to be in the top 5 for my needs. Problems: Viewing screen gets greenish banding on it when shooting toward the sun or in snow. The picture does not show the banding though when ...

Is this cam really so good? I've been using fujifilm 40i for a over a year now, compact yes, light-weight yes. I've been reading reviews and opinions for some time now but I still can't make my decision. I read that this c40 startup time needs a 5.8sec. Any of you whine on this? (My current one is 1.8, I'm not sure how big a difference that 4secs will count for me....) And is this really light enough to carry around your shirt pocket/purse all day? everywhere? It is a 270g..... Other cam ...

I love this camera.......almost bought a larger camera but I'm glad I picked this one...(after some online research)....."oh"....you guys giving bad ratings because of power drain....just read the instructions....Ni Me Hy....rechargables work fine. Problems: could use some better "grip surfaces"....I don't wanna drop this baby

Oh no... :( My camera stopped working yesterday...I picked accumulators to recharge them. When I put them into camera after recharging, camera didn´t work. Monitor doesn´t work, and lens too. Only LCD display is working... Problems: Camera doesn´t work.

Good as a spare camera--slips into pocket easily but the zoom is so inadequate for REAL photography. Problems: very hard to set functions quickly with out the manual in hand

need to read the manual to get the best results. Problems: none

Bought my c40z in November 2001 and immediately fell in love with it. Light easy to use and great pictures. Add the pics to Ulead DVD and play them through your TV for £20. Marvellous! Currently have taken over 4,000 pictures and no problems. Only use NMH batteries and they get better with use. Cant imagine anyone feeding them none rechargeables!!! Problems: Zoom lever has become sticky and currently in for repair but great service from Olympus!