Nikon D1

Announced Jun 15, 1999 •
3 megapixels | 2 screen | APS-C sensor
NeiljohnUK

Bought 2 a year apart secondhand. The first by serial number is in the first 250 made and is in almost unmarked condition, however having taken a fall and it stopped working I bought a much later one which had been very used (and abused), this ones now playing up but is still usable, the first I repaired and is still going strong. Image wise the D1's allow me to capture fast action like cricket and passing steam loco's and print them A3 size without issue, once the w/b is corrected the ...

Captain_K

this is the 2nd D1 I have owned in the last 3-4 years. Bought it for 200.00. It's a real clean camera that was overhauled by Nikon in 2007 for use in a movie. Works like a charm and super value. Problems: none

AvanEijk

Bought a used one for only 250 euro. As a backup for my D1X, which is also a used one. In my opinion a bargain! I love the picure quality. Considering the age of the camera it is phenomenal. Problems: So far....none

bmwgsscotland

Purchased pre-used as a back-up for my D100. Extremely well made, far better than the D100. Easy to use, apart from the unnecessarily complex menu system. Image quality for a 2.7 mp camera is very good. No magnification on image preview is one shortcoming, but then again, is it really needed. Am now considering selling the D100 and getting another D1 or a D1X. No sign of any rubber falling off as yet. It may be 5 or 6 years old, but it's still like new. Problems: None, apart from the ...

fastoys2nv

this camera may by 5 years old but it still kicks you know what. Built like a tanks and I find it easy to use. It may only be 2.7 mp but it producing great images for me. I got it about 1 month ago a what I consider a super deal and haven't though twice about it.

echoben

Great used buy at $500, controls are very similar to F100, great image quality in NEF using Capture 4.2. Don't need more MP since I usually only print 4x6 or 5X7. Build spoils you quickly, anything less feels like a toy. Problems: Noise in low light can be problematic, rubber grip over CF door falls off quickly, and batteries don't last (carry two).

Chuck Steenburgh

Built like a tank, definitely a pro-level camera. Problems: Flash system sucks! To get good color you must understand and properly use color management and profiles -- assign NTSC (1953) color space and then convert to sRGB or Adobe (1998) depending on your intended use and color is fabulous.

Julio

I purchased one on the used market and can say that it can still hold up its own in the world of 6-8MP cameras Solid build and feel Image quality comparable to a modern 4MP prosumer camera. Good job Nikon! Problems: No problems. Wish it used AA's

Richard Owen

I purchased a used D1 in Nov 2002 and have been using it for several commercial/portrait and photojournlism assignments. I have found at the low ISO (200/400) it is an excellent camera. I also recently picked up Genuine Fractals software and can enlarge the files dramatically without loss of resolution. The combination of the two work very well. The one problem I have is at the high ISO settings, expecially 1600. I shoot a lot of high school sports and the banding is bothersome. Using "Dust ...

jhnicholson

I have my D-1 for several years and it continues to be a workhorse in my lab. I even use it as a slide scanner to convert 35mm lectures to PowerPoint. Other than replacing the battery pack (after two years), it hasn’t given me any problems whatsoever. In fact, it is so good that I have decide to postpone getting a D100 and may wait for the next generation.