Nikon D1

Announced Jun 15, 1999 •
3 megapixels | 2 screen | APS-C sensor
Craig Incardone

I have to say I'm heartbroken that I upgraded from my D1 to a D100. I love the D100's image quality, but the D1 was so rugged and felt better than any camera i've owned. I bought the D1 (used) in Dec.2002 and paid very little for it. Image quality was good but could'nt keep up with the higher rez cams. I wish they can come up with a plan to upgrade the D1's internals, it seems a waste to let these cameras become dinosaurs!!!!

Steve Grunberger

I bought a D1 second hand (In perfect condition) I am over the moon with this camera, I have had 'Toy' digital cameras (6 in total in a year) only to be happy with this one. I have had 20x30 inch prints done from the camera with awesome results. Can't wait for the D2. The D1 is a PERFECT starter Pro Digital Camera Great battery life too !! Problems: Once you work out the colour problem it's fine. Thank God for PhotoShop (If only it could use the RAW format, but that's another issue)

Martin

Crap...My company bought 60 of these and as far as I am aware, nearly all have been back for repair at some point or another. Nikon's service is nothing short of appauling (nine weeks to repair a camera with no respones to emails & phone calls!!) I have found one good use for the camera..an extremely expensive paperweight. Problems: God! Where do begin!

jules1

Been using the D! for over 18months, almost 200 000 frames, actual cmaera great to work with but build quality C&@p rubbers continuously falling off (replaced what available 4 times already after 2 weeks already peeling) and supplier stock always problem for replacement. Also body rust/corrosion on grip and memory card door from 2 months old and taken Nikon this long to agree to sort it out. Bombed 1 sb28dx already "to erratic to find problem" new one almost as bad. YES IT WORKS HARD BUT ...

Unknown user 83431

Overall I really love my D1 Problems: Overall I really love my D1 but the poor construction quality of some parts (e.g. rubber falling off) are not what I expect from a camera with this price (especially with the Nikon logo printed on). The ease of use rocks and eventhough 5.x megapixels are common now I really enjoy the quality of the pics.

pano

I have my D1 now for 1 and a half year and its the second time that nearly all rubber is vanished, its simply fallen of... I (and a lot of collegues i spoke to) have a neverlasting trouble with exposuring when i use the flash, the anti-alias-filter is a dust magnet, the sharpness of the pictures is just a random thing, its much too much money for this quality, the printable size for magazin-pictures is too small, colours are not very differenced in dark situations, i still prefer my F100. Pr ...

jasmine

Construction Quality speaking, this the worst SLR Nikon ever made. The external rubber started falling apart 1 month after I bought it. I use it inside an airconditioned studio! Been using my D1 for almost two years now. I think I'm one of the first D1 owner in my country. Image quality speaking, this is a very nice camera. Until about 4 months ago , I still think this is a very nice camera. it started to have problems 4 months ago. Sometimes it cannot capture any picture.Just blank images. I

allen graf

have owned d1 now for 10 months now and i love the camera and features Problems: dont like the shutter lag because i do alot of nite time auto racing and shutter lag is a problem.

Unknown user 62818

Have used the D1 in the newsroom of a regional newspaper for over 12 months. It has been sensational in the sense that a number of journalists use the camera along with a weekend photographer to do the bulk of our photographic work. It is tolerant and provides excellent quality. The D1 has had an enormous positive impact on the photographic costs of the editorial department and it handles our entire range of photographic requirements. Problems: Apart from the CCD getting dirty because of the ...

George Sinesios

Just have to agree with the other users opinions on the D1. What a tool! Combined with an Epson 1270 printer on Epson Premium Glossy Paper, the resultant prints (up to 12"x18"!) are stunning! And, No running back and forth to a lab! What else can I add? Anyone with a D1 (and even the new D1X and D1H) definitely needs the Capture software if they want to run the camera tethered and/or needs the ultimate quality of the raw format D1 nef files. Just don't forget Qimage Pro at ...