Nikon D1

Announced Jun 15, 1999 •
3 megapixels | 2 screen | APS-C sensor
Chuck Steenburgh

Built like a tank, definitely a pro-level camera. Problems: Flash system sucks! To get good color you must understand and properly use color management and profiles -- assign NTSC (1953) color space and then convert to sRGB or Adobe (1998) depending on your intended use and color is fabulous.

Julio

I purchased one on the used market and can say that it can still hold up its own in the world of 6-8MP cameras Solid build and feel Image quality comparable to a modern 4MP prosumer camera. Good job Nikon! Problems: No problems. Wish it used AA's

Richard Owen

I purchased a used D1 in Nov 2002 and have been using it for several commercial/portrait and photojournlism assignments. I have found at the low ISO (200/400) it is an excellent camera. I also recently picked up Genuine Fractals software and can enlarge the files dramatically without loss of resolution. The combination of the two work very well. The one problem I have is at the high ISO settings, expecially 1600. I shoot a lot of high school sports and the banding is bothersome. Using "Dust ...

jhnicholson

I have my D-1 for several years and it continues to be a workhorse in my lab. I even use it as a slide scanner to convert 35mm lectures to PowerPoint. Other than replacing the battery pack (after two years), it hasn’t given me any problems whatsoever. In fact, it is so good that I have decide to postpone getting a D100 and may wait for the next generation.

The Design Crew

I have used the D1 for three years now and it has exceeded expectations. I have been very impressed with Nikon. So much so, that I have since purchased the D100. The D1 has definitely paid for itself and then some. I would highly recommend it. The one I have now is for sale, if anyone is interested they may inquire to info@thedesigncrew.com. Problems: None

jbryan

Very well constructed camera. I have used Canon EOS digitals and was impressed but I like the feel of this camera better. Also the ability to use any Nikon lens is a plus. I have had no problems with the rubber falling off as some people have noted. I have a late model D1 it's possible that Nikon fixed the problem in the later models. Highly reccomend this camera for anyone who is a pro. Problems: None.

LNash

Great tool. Mostly happy with the pictures it makes. Have used the camera for two years and rarely have the need for "film" anymore. This is the only digital camera I've had any serious experience with. Use it for several professional publications and a website. Problems: Very unhappy with rubber falling off. After replacing several times, just left it off. Not just the thumb rest, but also the rubber pad on the bottom. Also, TTL flash with SB-28DX doesn't work very well at all. Now ...

Simon Malisse

This camera is amazing. I took 2000 photos in one week with it, including a massive 820 on one day, on one battery. This is beyond any doubt the best sports photography camera on the market !! A++++++++++ ;) Problems: The camera was really "used" by the previous owner. I brought it in for a complete overhaul, so it's like brand new now with new rubber grip and all the faulty bits (flash shoe) replaced. No problems since

Jonathan Brownlee

It is now January 2009, and I have shot with and compared the D-3, D-700 & D3x. At first impression the results looked pretty much the same from all cameras, when printed 20 x 30 inches. I than printed a 36 x 48 & a 48 x 60 and compared the results..The D3x blew the other cameras away, there was no comparison, the D3x was so sharp, the resolution was so tight that I was awe struck. The D3x is up there with the best medium format camera's and backs, at a fraction of the cost of medium ...

M.R. Mulder

The first Digital Reflex for a reasonable price (Compared to Canon/Kodak), but it feels not so good you need to buy a lot of extra stuf like chargers, batteries and software. Problems: A lot of shutter-problems (within a range of about 300,000 pictures the shutter has to be replaced 3 times). Of course the problems with the rubber.