Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR

Announced Aug 9, 2006 •
Telephoto zoom lens | Nikon F (FX)

I have used the Nikon AF-S 70-300mm F4.5-5.6G VR (FX format lens) with my Nikon D7100 (DX format camera) for a couple of years now, and I am quite pleased with it. The lens has primarily been used at indoor swim meets, and I have had some good results. Due to its plastic construction the lens is light, it is fast focussing, and it is pretty sharp in the mid-range (100-200mm)! The zoom is a tad sticky, and I have had the lens occasionally search in auto-focus, likely due to low (indoor pool) ...

cloudnine

Pretty sharp for portraits. Compact for the focal distance 300mm. Even though, it becomes softer at longer zoom distances. Very soft beyond 200mm. I've pushed myself to use this lens not once. Nevertheless, I've found that the combination of Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm + Sigma (macro)105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM + Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF is much more useful and flexible for me.

The Ampro

I am so impressed with this lens. Took lots of pictures of an airshow and was amazed.

depscribe

There are probably -- certainly -- lenses that will more satisfy pixel peepers. I know of no lens, though, that will more satisfy the photographer. The sheer zen of using it is remarkable. It is not too heavy, but it is heavy enough that carrying the camera by the lens feels fine. It is quick in use. It is for all practical purposes, plenty sharp. It is not fast; on the other hand, on a DX body at the long end it is a 450mm f5.6, which isn't bad, especially for those of us who grew up with ...

Hi there, Just bought this lens on recommendation of Ken Rockwells site. Couldnt be happier with the initial results. Took it out for a day at the Zoo in Perth, Western Australia. Was astounded at the clarity, and the autofocus! See the included pics. Martin Eloury Tiger - Perth Zoo , Western Australia, 21st April , 2013. Nikon D7000

meloury

Nikon D7000 , 70-300vr lens , f8 at 1/80th sec at 210mm Just bought the lens. Very happy with the quality! Nikon D7000, Nikon 70-300mm VR lens f7.1 at 1/160 sec , ISO 720 , 300mm Nikon D7000, Nikon 70-300mm VR, f7.1 at 1/160 sec, ISO 250, 300mm

Jim Forever

this lens is a delight for budget users!! i have shot this indoors as well as widlife and it handles both the situation pretty well. the lens is a bit heavy when i use with my D600 bu the extra weight is soon forgotten by the handling. it focuses very quickly and it has very effective VR. a very good budget zoom lens till i can afford 70-200 or any fixed prime zooms from nikon:)

Given the price, an excellent lens, very sharp even on FX, up to 200 or 240 mm. VR is outstanding: I have tracked birds in flight and obtained superb shots. As you get closer to 300, softness creeps in. I did get some sharp shots at 300, but everything had to be exactly correct, but still not as sharp as 200. A great, cheap way to get VR and 200-250. It loses a star because of performance at 300. Problems: None

nunocm

Just great, combining this lens with my kit lens the 18-105mm. The bokeh is fantastic, a very fast focus, with very little distortion all over the focal range. Perfect to take photos of the kids, sports (i use this one for motorsports photos) and a lot of other events. Don't forget it's a DX lens compatible lens. Problems: The weight, but who cares?...

4Motioner

I think this is a terrific tele zoom for general use! Very good picture quality, well made and quite cheap. The size is manageable even on DX, even with the lens hood attached. You can find my complete review of the lens here: http://juhoaj.blogspot.com/2012/03/nikon-70-300mm-f45-56g-af-s-if-ed-vr.html Problems: Too slow for sports