Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR

Announced Feb 18, 2003 •
Zoom lens | Nikon F (FX)
BigJohnno

Yuk! I got this lens bundled with my D700 and although it's handy for snapshots, it's completely unusable for anything serious. I found it soft throughout the focal range, more especially at the long end, even sitting on a tripod it was awful. Once mounted to my D800 it showed it's ugly flaws even more. I couldn't wait to get rid of it once I replace it with the 24-70 2.8.

zanypoet

I've had this lens for about a year now. I bought it over the newer f/4 model because it was so much cheaper. I figured it's a Nikon, how soft can it be? I expected maybe slight edge softness at wide open aperture but at f/2.8, even the center looks soft! And the edge softness doesn't improve until about f/8. Outside on a sunny day, the images look acceptable with smaller aperture but it's a dog when taking photos indoors, even when using an external flash (SB600). The build quality is ...

Bonsainz

I have just got this lense instaed of the kit lense with for my D600, find it is not what some have said taken some very good photos, and doing all I ask. the reach is much better the the kit 24 to 85. Problems: Only thing I dont like is as some other have said is the lense hood.

marzal

I recently bought this lens for my brace of Nikons (F6 and D700) and have never looked back. I bought the f3.5/5.6 version cos it was going cheap. It never off one of the bodies, the size and weight are ideal, focussing is quick with either bodies and is much sharper than the older model which did make me think twice at first. Now I have no problems using it for 90% o my work. I fully recommend it

Purchased in a D200 package; and used for the last two years with my D300; and expect to use it with incoming D800. Is carefully used and has always been reliable I find absolutely nothing wrong with this lens; although I would say that I use it along with the Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D lens which is my 90% usuage and is the 'best thing since sliced bread' Problems: No probs ever

HKR

Similarly to the only other post on this lens, I too purchased it as the ideal OSFA (one size fits all) with my F100. It took a rest while I dipped a tentative toe in the digital lake with the D70 but has come back into its own with the upgrade to a D700. Sure, when I'm doing an event or on a 'mission', I'll take the full 2.8 kit with me i.e. 14-24, 24-70 & 70-200. BUT, when I want to travel light as I did about 3 years ago to Phuket, the 24-120 excelled and save my back. Pixel-peep at ...

I have had this lens since 2005, using with my Nikon F5 and now D700. I am very pleased with this lens. It is the lens I usually reach for. I purchased with some concerns arising from negative reviews and comments. Ultimately deciding that "ON PAPER" it was everything I wanted and need, and deciding that if it was as bad as the reviews suggested I could afford to dispose of it or keep for occassional use. Perhap it is me, or I am lucky and "GOT A GOOD ONE" but I consider the build quality, ...