Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D

Wideangle prime lens | Nikon F (FX)
Rob Spanjaart

My experiences are quite out of line. Either I have had 5 bad copies or other people are easily satisfied. The only 20mm I had for quite some years was the 2.8 AIS version, which was a pleasure to use. Sharp, contrasty and a gem with the Nikon circular polariser I. Otherwise the AFD 20mm have always lacked sharpness on any of my camera's and as mentioned I have had 5 samples over 10 years.

Jeff Chastain

This sharp wide angle lens is brilliant on my d800. Focuses fast and fairly quiet, too. Bought it used and in fantastic shape for about 300. Making great images with it.

David195

A nice compact lens. Disappointing it is not sharper wide open as the sides are very soft. Stopped down to 5.6 or below it is very sharp. Focus is very fast.

Tzim

If you're looking for a wideangle option that takes very little space in your bag, look no further. Compared to the massive zooms (I'm looking at you, 14-24 f/2.8 and 16-35 f/4), this diminutive optic renders comparable performance once it's stopped down a notch or two. It's hard to beat the low profile of the 20 f/2.8, both in terms of it's low 'attention' factor, weight, and balance on mid range bodies. I can shoot all day with this lens and hardly know it's there. The optical design is ...

Summi Luchs

The Nikon AF-D 2.8 20mm is a nice, lightweight ultrawide for landscape, indoor etc. on FX cameras. On DX it is a boring lens, its focal length is covered by all DX standard zooms and it doesn't provide any significant advantage. Optically it is a good lens, sharp in the center at full open aperture and sharp from corner to corner stopped down to f 5.6 or f8. I am quite happy with the results on my D600. Brick wall shooters might complain about corner performance at 2.8 but under real ...

This is a excellent lens, especially considering the price. It focuses closely, has minimum barrel distortion, and has great sharpness(at least for me) even wide open. The only downside is the plastic barrel,which makes the build quality a little suspect.

Used along with F3, F4, D100, D200 and currently D300 and looking forward to a good marriage to the forthcoming D800 the Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D lens which accounts for my 90% usuage and is the 'best thing since sliced bread' It suits my work so well Always reliable and no faults ever