Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/4G ED VR

Announced Oct 24, 2012 •
Telephoto zoom lens | Nikon F (FX)
thelenspainter

For my uses, on a D600, I can't actually find anything to fault this lens on whatsoever - it is as close to perfect as I'd dare ask for. The VR is almost freakish - I've managed sharp handheld shots at 1/4 sec at 200mm! This is truly one of Nikon's best lenses.

Mizee

I'm a photo enthusiast, not a pro, and I have a Nikon D7000. I love this lens. Its size and weight make it a good traveling companion; however, that's not really what I love the most. It's the sharpness of the lens, even when hand held at maximum focal length... Even when cropped. I did a side by side for sharpness with my Sigma 120-400, on a tripod . I shot a church from about 3/4 of a mile away. The clarity was significantly better with the Nikon just in the viewer. When I unloaded the ...

Excellent lens both optically (tack sharp throughout) and ergonomically (well balanced for handholding). Also love the close focusing capability. I did have to try two units though as the first one was not convincing at the 70mm end. I use it with my D5200, which gives me 105-300mm equivalent and covers 95% of my tele needs. The one stop loss compared to the f2.8 is certainly more than made up by the lower weight and bulk, making it a great lens to carry along all the time. I's unfortunate ...

Jan Kager 01

Love this lens...images are crisp-clear,color toning is Sublime! in bad situations, he still shows details.. Jan

DavidPonting

Ignore the blithering idiot who has managed to give this two zero-star reviews (which is why I, who don't normally post reviews, am posting this to try and rebalance - but I'd give it 5 stars anyway) If you need f/2.8 (sports, film or you need a lens that doubles as a blunt instrument), then buy the f/2.8 lens; in all other situations this is the lens for you! I sold my f/2.8 VR1 to buy this. Why? (1) Solid plastic build makes it sturdy yet light and hand-holdable for long periods of time

xelarox

excellent in every way:-P-- xelarox

cendrowski

I bought this lens in Nov.2012. The second lens (after micro 60mm) I'm using, which has sufficient resolution for D800, It is incredibly sharp and the VR works great! The upgrade from 80-200 f/2,8D ED is very visible. Problems: none

cendrowski

best rating !! replace please my previous post!!

Would get five stars if the collar came with it. Wonderful addition to the pro-level (without designation) f4 VR lineup. Like the 24-120/4 VR, this lens fills a gap that Canon has had solutions for for years. I personally, except from a financial standpoint, don't understand why Canon chose to have four variations of the 70-200 focal length, but I've always been impressed that they do. I've owned all of them, some twice. When I moved to the Dark Side in 2008, I immediately missed my f4 L ...