Nikon Coolpix P50

Announced Aug 30, 2007 •
8 megapixels | 2.4 screen | 28 – 102 mm (3.6×)

Nice handling. Decent macro and it can even lock on right object unlike some previous Coolpixes like the 5400 and 990 which could struggle woefully in that regard. Normal AF speed is not too slow. Watch out for bad sample variation of the the lens, Dpreview had a faulty unit with soft left side. I was one of the very first to get my P50 on this forum back in the day as I had mine on preorder before the release and I posted some findings in the forum but thought that I might post a short ...

Prem4

I bought his model in a clearance sale for USD.100/- which is steal. I own Nikon P5000 too but P50 is no match to that. I think this is the only camera with 28mm wide lens comes with AA battery power. Picture quality is average and satisfactory. Only advantage is wide angle photography and anywhere anytime available batteries. I think I am going to keep this camera for long. Problems: hmmmmm.....nothing so far.

halotheracer

I have a DSLR camera but its bulky to use it in some situations. I need to take pictures sometimes at work. So, I got this camera to carry everywhere. Good camera overall , lots of adjustments. It has also Timelapse recording feature but you can not see at the DPreview P50 page. It has timelapse video recording too. (See User Manual page:92 for more info) Problems: Low light sensitivity is not perfect but its a P&S, so this is normal IMO. Transferring the pictures to PC is could be more easy.

idnab

Good image quality on computer screen. Lens distortions are evident especially around edges, at various focal lengths. Managed to produce excellent 8x10 inch prints, even from cropped frames.

Baad image quality. Grainy pictures even at low ISO. Inconsistent results. The name Nikon sounds pretty good though. Returned back to the store for full money refund. Problems: Low battery life.

John Anthony

Excellent image quality, great dynamic range, easy to use. Unbeatable value for $160Canadian dollars. Nice LCD, even in bright sunlight. Problems: None

mmditter

I decided to wait awhile after getting this camera before posting my observations about it to make sure that I got a chance to get to know it well. I have been searching for some time to find a replacement for my aging Olympus C-5000, a camera that can take excellent pictures, but is just way too slow. I bought and used a Canon A-530 for awhile, but sold it. I then got a Canon A-550, but sold it even faster. I got the P50 because it looked and felt really nice for the price and because of its ...

Gorpalm

Really wanted a wide-angle compact, and after searching high and low, chose this one. No regrets. It has a workable combination of wide-angle lens, some manual control, face detection, decent IQ, now at an excellent price. Reading reviews it seems like it sits between its nearest rival(s) in this price bracket: Canon A570 and A720. Both the latter with longer lens reach and very competitive IQ but no wide-angle. Drums the likes of the Olympus FE290 out of the ring. Low light non-flash ...

drpythagora

Though I do have experience with classical cameras, I'm new at digital ones. I purchased the P50 to use occasionly instead of my Nikon FM3A. I have P50 since one week and I am pretty pleased with it. Pretty good image quality at good conditions, appropriate AF, good flash, pretty wide angle lens, very easy/intuitive navigating system, excellent ergonomics, compact, pretty robust construct, AA battery powered. Problems: not very good for photographing moving objects

The P50 While it is only $199 or lower,take good pictures up to Iso 400. Abouve Iso 400 there is alot of noise,but at 28 mm F2.8 you can take pictures in verry low licht. De pictures look atleast above Iso 400 like true an mirror. nibling detail from the pictures,and put some noise reduction artifacts. At Iso 64 the pictures look just fine,seeing some artifacts to when you view at 100% Super fine is not super fine enouch,at the prise SD cards cost. But for the prise you pay,I think you won't ...