Nikon Coolpix 800

Announced Sep 27, 1999 •

For the money I paid(EBay) for a NEW camera, and its generation the Coolpix 800 is great, especially for outdoors and still pictures. Great macro pics, good color saturation and easy to work with. Manual is rather simple to learn. Problems: When it comes to take pictures at night, however, the results are simply poor. The flash is too small or weak to cover certain areas. Did not take pictures in action though.

Picture quality was excellent for for a 2 MP. Shutter slow to react, but managed to get timing down. First Nikon purchase after 20 years of Canon. Problems: 15 months after purchase began getting an err message on screen while lens continually tried to focus. Found out reapir would cost more than replacement. Will never purchase another Nikon product.

Problems: NECESITO EL MANUALEN ESPAÑOL DE LA CAMARA NIKON COOLPIX 800 SI FUERA POSIBLE GRACIAS

For its price, a good compact. If you'd like some samples: http://members.xoom.it/hotshots Problems: Expect dark pictures when using the flash beyond 2 mt. (6ft.). The autofocus is troublesome in other than daylight conditions.

This is a decent camera but flimsy and easily broken. I dropped mine in its case and it required repair. I've been waiting for almost 3 weeks to get it back. Nikon repair is poor. Consider this if you purchase one. Problems: Dropped in case, broken.

Outdoor daylight pictures are very good. Some pictures look downright uncanny (i.e. good) with close images in good focus and background far away objects in quite good focus at the same time. Indoors is a mixed bag. Seems to have trouble with blacks. When things are in shadow the camera picks them up as almost total black with no definition. My new trick is to always leave the flash on. Pictures come out much better and with nimh rechargeables battery life is still good. Problems: Whats with ...

Russ

I used the camera for 3 weeks, but had consistent trouble getting in-focus shots indoors, without the flash. I needed some indoor shots in a large room (like a gym) where the flash wouldn't work. The camera had trouble focusing. Up close, I could get good indoor shots. I was able to compare a 950 to the 800, and the 950 correctly shot the trouble shot each time, so I returned the 800 for a 950. Outdoors, the 800 produced excellent shots! I was really pleased with these shots. I also got ...

After 300 shots taken with this camera i think it's a great camera for quality, great macro pictures and good white balance and colors. in manual mode long battery life, excellent optics Problems: lot of noise in low light or cloudy sky. poor construction (i talk about CF lid and battery lid) no microdrive + no usb (you have to buy an external reader)

My background is 35-mm SLR and the old Relisys and the Sony Mavicas, using cameras to take macro shots of pearl and glass jewelry (and family pics)...I bought the Nikon Coolpix 800 because I wanted a camera with high-definition, good color macro capability at an affordable price. Although it took some fiddling to get the kind of photos I need, the macro shots are very clean, with acceptable contrast and color (hard to do with pearls) and the flash is great about enhancing (as opposed to ...

After a couple thousand photos, my experience with the 800 has been good. I've been using it in a community newspaper where it is not unusual to take 100 pictures a week. It is nice to be able to switch modes and get high speed pictures at sports events, something that I can't do with my Kodak DC210. I appreciate ability to mount the camera on my computer desktop and simply copy the photos onto my hard drive. Power requirements are a lot lower than other digital camera's I've used. It's nice ...