Nikon Coolpix 800

Announced Sep 27, 1999 •

For its price, a good compact. If you'd like some samples: http://members.xoom.it/hotshots Problems: Expect dark pictures when using the flash beyond 2 mt. (6ft.). The autofocus is troublesome in other than daylight conditions.

A first class product from Nikon, very good lens, no problems.

This is a decent camera but flimsy and easily broken. I dropped mine in its case and it required repair. I've been waiting for almost 3 weeks to get it back. Nikon repair is poor. Consider this if you purchase one. Problems: Dropped in case, broken.

WOW..I just paid 300.00 for the E800 and am very pleased. It is more than I expected and makes me lust for the professional quality Nikons

Don't try action shots. Unfortunately I did not do enough research on digital cameras. I wanted to use it for sport shots but it is impossible to get a real action shot. I believe the newer models have some of the capability. Also it takes time to understand how to get night shots and I am still hitting or missing. I have called Nikon help - they have been as helpful as possible however even they acknowledge that the camera has limitations esp for action shots. I was please when I was ...

Outdoor daylight pictures are very good. Some pictures look downright uncanny (i.e. good) with close images in good focus and background far away objects in quite good focus at the same time. Indoors is a mixed bag. Seems to have trouble with blacks. When things are in shadow the camera picks them up as almost total black with no definition. My new trick is to always leave the flash on. Pictures come out much better and with nimh rechargeables battery life is still good. Problems: Whats with ...

A wonderful little cam that still produces colour and contrast better than the majority of cams on the market now. Sharpness is great though resolution is lacking on the optical bench as is clarity but looks great in real worlds conditions. Problems: For current prices not a whole lot, do not expect prosumer features.

Don Levstik

I've owned this camera for about 3 months, it replaced my Coolpix 700 which I had for over a year. The 700 was great, but the 800 is even better with the 2x zoom. The firmware in the 800 is a lot better as well. My 700 had a few quirks with it's auto-focus that are non-existant in the 800. The 800's picture quality is tops for the 2MP cameras. The wide range of features handle nearly anything I've needed from a 'point and shoot' digital camera. My personal favorite features are the 3 ...

I have owned this camera for a year and a half now. It has proven to be a excellent mid-range digital. For the price, I could not have picked a better camera. It has been a real performer. Its design is simple and straight forward, good functionality. All that I've needed in a point and shoot. Problems: No problems with the camera itself. However, I have had a few problems with the supplied Nikon software reading the images off the CF card.