Nikon Coolpix 4800

Announced Sep 16, 2004 •
4 megapixels | 1.8 screen | 36 – 300 mm (8.3×)
LL31770

I have borrowed this camera several times and made about 200 pictures with it. It has a very good zoom capacity and the pictures look fine when printed at postcard size. But for family photography it is very very frustrating to use. The shutter lag is too long, the viewfinder shows what happened a while ago and zooming is very slow. At the far end of zoom the autofocus fails making the pictures useless. The noise leves are terrible above iso 100, making it impossible to use it for any kind of ...

aliminator

This camera does take nice pictures.The WB has to be in AUTO.But it is not above average because 8x zoom is pretty useless if you want to get clear shots at tele.Another annoying thing is poor LCD quality.sometimes it's difficult to say wether a shot is blurry or not.To my taste colors are a bit strong-I would prefer more realistic colors.And shots could have been a bit more sharper.But after all you won't complain about this camera. Problems: See above.

I know I'm not suppossed to post if I don't own one ... but ... I just had to. Problems: In today's hi-tech engineering climate, plastic is NOT the inferior material some assume it to be. There are very hi-tech "Engineering Plastics" that have very good properties for a camera body. That being said, finishing is different from materials. It should have been better, no doubt. But the finish is the problem, not the material.

plaintiger

i'm not reviewing this camera because i haven't shot with it, but obviously the problem people are having with bluish casts is due to the white balance not being set to Auto by default. so i'd just ask future reviewers who are having problems with color casts to change the white balance to Auto and take a few more shots before posting a review. thanks! Problems: (see above)

Corto

I was really excited about this camera, and got it as soon as it was available. I was esp. excited about the 8.3x zoom, which was the main reason I was buying it. My current cam is a Canon S45 which I love. Anyway, I got the camera and took side by side test pictures with the S45. Unfortunately, all the pictures the 4800 took were very cool and bluish. In fact, when taking full zoom pictures of art on a wood background, the wood and art took on such a cast you could not determine their ...