FujiFilm MX-1200 (Finepix 1200)

Announced Sep 15, 1999 •

This was my first digital camera purchase, and I have been very happy with it. True, you do get white spots in darker backlit conditions, but for day use, it is fantastic! Very easy to use, and well worth the money for a first camera Problems: Serial port doesn't work ... had to buy a card reader

In the year I've had this (my first) digital camera, its taken some great shots. Color always very saturated. Generally very sharp for the resolution. Batteries last ages. Fits in a pocket. I've even successfully blown some images up to 25mb filesize using Genuine Fractals. This camera converted me to digital, but its time to move on to a higher res. now. Problems: Noise in shadow areas in extremely backlit conditions. Serial port is useless, get a card reader. One day the lens will get ...

After using this camera for 1 month and this being my first digital camera, I'm convinced that filmcameras are the past for me! If this is an o.k. camera I'm in for more treats. Great macro pictures and quite sharp indoor pics with wonderful colour! Problems: I must say that as I use a lot of flash indoor the problem of dust becoming white spots is terrible! Thanks for Adobe PhotoDeluxe!

I bought the camera several months ago and I am still amazed at what you get for the money. The included software (Adobe) is quite powerful - overall a great deal. If I were buying today I would look at the MX1300 because it is the same camera with USB port added. Problems: The flash is very close to the lens, this sometimes causes dust to be illuminated as white 'blobs' on photos. Flash is also not that strong - subject should be fairly close to camera. Serial PC connection may frustrate ...

Basically this camera appears to be OK in design and use. Until that is that you look carefully at the photo images on your computer screen. More often than not when using the camera with flash, some small smudges appear. This I believe is caused by air borne dust. The camera picks them out and they appear as smudges - sometimes (depending on where it is used) lots of these appear. Many of my photographs are ruined as a consequence. Problems: Only picture smudges

I spent a long time looking for a Digicam, and then settled on this cos it was the second cheapest in the shop! Seriously tho, if you want a good camera for the money, you can't go far wrong. The camera will take 22 pics at 640x480 standard and 3 at the highest (1280) setting on the 2Mb card. Do the maths to work out how many pics you will get on the 64Mb card!! There is no usb or video out, so in the long term a card reader is a must. However, the image quality is better than you would ...

For close portraits this camera gives decent results but for subjects further than about 2 metres the results are almost unusable (compression artifacts even at the highest resolution). As an introduction to digital photography this camera just about suffices, but if you do decide to purchase it make sure you don't throw away the old 35mm. Personally I would recommend spending a little more on something like the MX2700. Problems: Tiny 2mb card.

As a beginner I found the MX-1200 an excellent value for the $279.00 paid for it. It is a trully pocket sized camera with excellent image quality and ease of use. Problems: No problems yet.