Fujifilm FinePix 40i

Announced Jun 2, 2000 •

I was looking for something small, but not a toy and this is it. High quality shots from a very small camera. Problems: Needs good lighting for clear shots and the camera must be held super still. Flash also doesn't have good range in extremely dark areas.

PHIL

what can be said that hasn't already been said.excellent!! battery life is better than some 2 AA batt models. just wish it was a bit longer and had a better grip. i use a bendy leg tripod as a hand grip which helps no end. Problems: too small, hard to hold steady, flash range too short,dubious how long usb socket will last!!

Most has been said, so let's go into details. It's really annoying that you need proprietary audio download software to put MP3s onto the smart media. The MP3 Player only plays up to 128KBit/s constant bitstream, nothing better.No fast forward/fast rewind but just track skipping. No power adapter included but only a accu charger. Enough said - Evertyhing ELSE is just great!

Jorge

I bought the camera two weeks ago and it is excelent, small, good quality, the video functions works properly Problems: I have one problem and a I need help. When I turn on the camera the lens continues in the same state and a message

Question: I'm about to purchase a 40i, but I still have a couple of questions that maybe one of you can answer: *Is it possible to store pics as well as mp3 at the same time? *Isit only possible to store mp3 on Smartmedia Card with ID? (and where is this ID used for?) * Is the software NT-compatible? * Is the flash really that bad? Thanx in advance. (BTW, came across a 128Mb card on http://www.epc-online.com/media/smartmedia_cards.html ) Problems: Question

It's come down quite a lot in price in Tokyo. Above everything else, I have to say it's a damn handy size. I can carry it around in my pocket and take a good quality photo whenever the whim takes me. The automatic metal lens cover is a nice bonus. Also the tripod mount is directly under the lens, making it ideal for QTVR photography. Problems: A zoom lens option would have been handy. Also, it'd be nice to be able to select English menus instead of Japanese, like with the Sony models.

Tachyon

It's slick, compact and *extremely fast*! I can operate it wholy single handed - fish it out from my pocket, turn on, shoot, turn off and return it into the same pocket, ALL in less than 5 seconds! Make me feel like Clint Eastwood in the movies :-) :- ) The camera also act as a SmartMedia card read/writer, though you can also use a typical card reader to do the transfers, erase and formatting. I am a Mac user and find the Audio downloading software works perfectly. It is indeed a good design ...

Extremely compact, high resolution, good picture quality, very easy to use, brilliant macro mode picture quality. Problems: Soft focus most of the time, very weak flash, pictures taken at night not very good!

This camera is very small, easy to use, multi-functions and does very well in taking Macro shots. However the problems occur several times when taking photos at night or in the difficult conditions. After I took about 500 photos, I have to forget about taking photos at the night time even I tried to use the slow syncro flash. And even pictures taken in daytime, about 30% seem to be soft focus. The zoom is another problem since it has only digital zoom, I have to open LCD every time that I ...

canyonlu

All the pictures ive taken are great. Extremely easy to use, ultra compact, and 2.1mp! Digital Zoom is pretty good. Great for trips and Novice-Amatuer photographers. Problems: Need bigger smart media card to hold mp3s and pics. WARNING: video is captured in MJPEG format, NOT MPEG. only quicktime can view it or you have to d/l the library. I wish they would give an option to convert it to .avi or .mpg