Epson R-D1

Announced Mar 11, 2004 •
6 megapixels | 2 screen | APS-C sensor

An amazing camera. Colour rendition is perfect. It was for me a total surprise, that Seiko Epson did not upgrade this camera. Not a Leica, but it's features are good enough to provide me with some good photos. One of my best cameras, ever. Problems: None

Enrico Fasulo

Great camera with Leica lens compatibility !! Problems: None

Ricardo Villagran

Ricardo Villagran

I been using this camera extensively for the past 2 months and I am very hppy with the whole experience. It is my first rangefinder camera ever, so it took me a little to get used to it, but once I did, my images are far superior to everything I have achieve with my D70 even when they share the same sensor. The tonal range is wider, and the files simply don't look digital. The camera is a joy to use and gave me back the pleasure of actually taking photos... I don't feel like a tourist anymore!

Vieijra

As has been said by others: beautiful, solid feeling, indeed gives you a completely other photographing experience than say, a Canon. I use it a lot in low light stage-situations with the Noctilux 50/1 and the results are very, very satisfying, the difference with other digital camera-results being noticable for everybody. I also took it with me on a holiday trip thru southern Spain, using it as a regular 'tourist' camera and that worked also extremely well (also with Summicron 35/2). Of ...

Alex WT

Excellent camera, M-like, top results with Leica/CV/Zeiss lenses. Cannot substitute a DSLR because of 0,7m limit and only 28-35-50 lenses can be used. All other wideangle show vignetting and need special 1,5 finders which are quite difficult to obtain. Beside of that a real pleasure to use.Rangefinder not as precise as Leicas (shorter base) and Noctilux delivers random results at full aperture (!with Epson 75mm 1.0).Price is now down and imho almost correct (2300usd range for boby only).

Francesco Gianni

The camera is great and a lot fun to use, yes you can probably get similar quality on a cheaper EOS 20D if you use top quality L primes, however if you like to use your Leica lenses, and enjoy shooting with a RF camera, you won't be disappointed. Problems: Thw shutter curtain a bit too near to the front of the camera makes it incompatible with some non-retrofocus lenses.

MrLaki

a very fine piece and makes you go back to the "slow-photography" to enjoy. what i cant understand that someone wrote "but the quality could not be detected over the quality of a Sigma 18 to 125mm zoom lens on a Digital SLR", well that guy must be blind or has no clue how to use the rd-1. sorry, to say that, but comparing any leica lens on the rd-1 to the quality of a sigma lens with 18 - 125 zoom? come on guy get real. Problems: none

J borger

I finaly have the feeling i shoot real photos instead of digital files. This camera gives the most film-like output i ever saw from any professional digital camera. It takes up the character of the lenses used in a fabulous way... you like vintage B&W? ... Just mount a Leica lens from the '50s and you're there? My canon 1Ds sits on the shelf waiting to be sold since i own this little gem. I do not like these CMOS files anymore. Problems: Paint coming off after about 3/4 year heavu use.