Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM

Announced Aug 24, 2006 •
Telephoto zoom lens | Canon EF
Wm. L.

I've been totally pleased with this lens. It has served me well for years. My viewpoint is tempered by experience with zooms that go back to the 1970s - 80s or 90s when they were no way in same league. It's not used as often as I expected because my sports shooting has become mountain bikes shot close to the photographer, but it's just awesome when needed.

benedictlaig

One of the best L telephoto lens out there that does not break your bank and your back. It's already sharp at its widest aperture and its a great lens to carry around. It's also more affordable compared to the f2.8 version and it's lighter too. Problems: Filter thread is at 67mm. My other two lenses at using 77mm so I can't share filters easily if needed.

Zavodenka

I've used it for two years and I love it. Relatively light, quick focus, colors. Bokeh... just love it. Problems: Focus motor was slipping. Got fixed under warranty.

agileMind

This lens never disappoints. Fast focus. Very very sharp edge to edge even wide open. Love this lens. Being an f/4 it is not overly heavy for carrying around. Would buy it again.

Don Richardson

With the same sencor as the 7D but lacking the wearher sealing and advanced AF this camera gives be Very Good IQ and saves me a few bucks for better lenses. I never shoot in the rain and have found the 9 AF points adequate for my needs. Problems: No Micro lens adjustment but so far I haven't needed it. Just hope my luck holds on lenses and camera combos.

TheHorsts

Very sharp. Very light (for it's range). Very well built. Buy it. You will be happy that you did. The whole family could immediately tell the difference in photos that it produced -- and most of them are not nearly as picky as I am.

NorCalAl

I bought this the day it was released, for full price, at a local camera shop. Mounted on either my 30D or 40D, this lens is deadly sharp - even wide-open. Incredibly fast focus and superb IS make it one of the best tele-zooms I ever used. Not to mention lightweight, so you don't mind bringing it along. Internal focus means it stays the same length while zooming or focusing. Metal body. Lengendary L lens quality and build. Sure, the 'holy grail' of the Canon 70-200 lineup is the 2.8IS II, but ...

Kreitmann

Canon makes a whole lot of tele lenses. This is one of the best, if not the best ever made. If 200mm are long enough and if f/4 is fast enough, just buy one of these and never look back. After years of shooting in all kinds of conditions, after ten thousands of pictures take, this one never let me down. It works great with all EOS cameras I ever used, from an ancient EOS 650 to the (then) latest and greatest 5D II.

Aryan009900

Its a great lens ,sharp and quick focusing.Price is alright I guess.Happy i bought it But... Problems: ...But I noticed It uses a lot of battery

The 70-200 2.8 L is the lens that gets all of the attention, making this lens one of the true dark horses of the Canon lineup. Let's get straight to it with image quality: amazing. All focal ranges, wide open, it delivers super sharp pictures rich in color and contrast. All good to say and NOTHING bad. How often does THAT happen? Performance: Fast and accurate. With my 1D bodies, I virtually never take an out of focus image. The combination almost making shooting ridiculously easy. Size and ...