Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM

Announced Sep 29, 2002 •
Zoom lens | Canon EF
Traingineer

I have been using this lens for 4 years on my 7D. It's got a lot of abuse but still takes fantastic pictures. I haven't a problem with this lens although the AF motor is starting to show the age of the lens design but it's still great.

Mario Jimenez Jr

As a wedding and a quinceanera photographer, this lens is on my camera about 90% of the time. I've used this lens on a 7D, until I sold it for a 5D Mark II and it went from great to stunning. It's has been wide enough for group shots and tack sharp. Highly recommend despite some of the poor reviews it has received.

ActorCam

I'm not as happy with this lens as a lot of other people are here. I use it with my 7D and I find it too soft below 5.6 to be useful. I wanted this lens because it's fast, but at 2.8 it's unacceptable, way too soft. It's noticeably sharper and OK at around 4.0 and better at 5.0, but I cringe whenever I go below 5.6. For the money I expected more. The newer model is supposed to be an improvement, but it's $1,000 more. Problems: Too soft below 5.6 and unusable at 2.8.

PHimage

Pending. Problems: I've recently purchased the above lens and have noticed free play on the focus ring. The play is 0.5mm but is obvious to the touch and audible. I've seen some posts stating that according to Canon UK, there should be no free play present on this ring. Has anyone experienced a similar issue ?

SHillphoto

This a very good portrait lens, but has some destortions and field curvature problems that works for a portrait but not as good for landscape. gives landscape photos a soft look. A very artistic lens. Problems: None

There is nothing not to like about the EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM if you need a lens that gets the job done. Photojournalists, wedding photographers, event shooters, everybody who works in a fast paced environment will appreciate the qualities of this lens. It is sharp at f/2.8 and even better at f/4. AF is as good as it gets. The zoom and focus rings are big, well placed, smooth and precise. The zoom range allows to shoot almost everything (only on full frame cameras like the 5D). The f/2.8 ...

parousia

zoom range is very good for everyday use as indoor and outdoor.

Robert Marooni

Is a good compromise, but the quality is not the best. I prefer prime lenses for beter quality at wide appertures. If I had to choose one lens and just one, this will be the one.