Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM

Telephoto prime lens | Canon EF
1962sg

One of the two sharpest lenses I've ever seen. Sharper, even, than the much vaunted 70-200 F:2.8 IS USM. This lens easily has the best bokeh I've ever seen. USM motor is fast and can have the stroke shortened for even faster focusing. The only thing I wish is that Canon would include the $200 tripod mount with the lens. Fortunately the tripod mount from the 70-200 F:4 USM (non-IS) will fit. Absolutely amazing lens for well under $1000.

Had the lens for a week, taken lots of shots and thought I'd share some thoughts.  I shoot with a 6D, so full frame, and am an unregenerate pixel peeper, so my comments are based on 100% magnification.  On full screen, this lens looks really good at any aperture. It's sharper than the 24-105, less sharp in the centre than the 24-70 f2.8 Mkii and much like the 70-200 f/4 IS.  But IS is lovely. The photozone.de analysis is spot on, so do have a read. Sharpness at 2.8 can be very good, but at ...

A great lens that fully justifies the investment. The resolution of 100 percent,up to a sharp ringing in the range of 4 - 7.1. Weight most positive feature is not afraid of dust and water (rain). Glass is excellent!

I consider this one of the sleeper lenses in the Canon lineup. It has excellent image quality from wide open and is much more compact than any of the 70-200 zooms on offer. It is extremely well built. It is well worth considering if you don't feel like spending more than twice the price on the 70-200 f/2.8 II.

Derrick Louw

I recently purchased a 200 f2.8L to compliment my 135mm f2L. These are the best Canon lenses I have used (also have a 70-200 2.8L - which comes reasonably close). Fantastic image and build quality. Fast AF on my 1Ds 2 and 1D3. Problems: None

Trevor Sowers

You get exactly what you would expect with this lens. It's fast focusing and has excellent IQ from 2.8 on up. It's easy to hold and shoot with and it's compact size makes it easy to bring along. If you love primes and want 200mm this lens is perfect. Problems: No problems.