Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM

Announced Feb 27, 2003 •
Wideangle zoom lens | Canon EF
Mann Renzef

I had been using this lens for my studio shoot and the result is impressive. Close up at 40mm portrait shot looks great!

Had mine for about 3 months now, and I believe I found a usable sweetspot for it that finally put a smile on my face. The 550d is 18 megapixel and jpeg's just don't do justice for neither the camera sensor or lens; so raw is the way to go. I like the quick and silent autofocus with the smooth zoom and focusing rings that focus accurately on subjects; The metal construction gives reassurance, although I think it may be vulnerable in between the metal mount and zoom ring if you keep holding the ...

I'm more of a photo-sniper than anything, preferring long range cameo shots to anything else. However I recently picked up a 17-40L to shake up my routine and am truly enjoying the results. The mind shift to not only accept, but embrace its trademark distortion was hard won, but I'm now finding the lens in my bag on a regular basis and being used quite often. Highly recommended!

pinard21

This lense in the one i use the most even if its not stabilized.  The pictures are always sharp and when taking groups of people for newspaper coverage there is almost no distortion with the Canon 7D.  With a 6D fframe,  i must be more careful when under 20mm.

Build quality superb, internal focus, super fast and quiet AF. Works great in video mode as well as still photography. No IS but not that necessary for this focal length group. Excellent walk around lens, landscapes, group photos and reasonable portrait lens. Image quality for APS-C format is superb. I use it with a Canon EOS 650D (T4i) body. Be sure to add the 77mm UV-C filter . Use the best quality such as the Hoya HMC UV(C). A protection filter is recommended by Canon to completely seal ...

kOrbin

I had photography class in college but that was a long time ago. So I'm a novice to this hobby.. Anyway, to me this is an impressive lense for the money; especially, for the quality of it and the way it feels on the hand. Technically, it is a faster and quiter lense comparing the kit lense that came with my 650D, and it is a bit more heavier which is expected for this range of Luxury lense. For the 650D this lense is really good for an every day walk about which I have been doing, and it is ...

nekrosoft13

17-40 is my full frame ultra-wide angle. When I was shooting crop cameras I used the EF-S 10-22. 10-22 with Canon 1.6 crop factor equals to field of view 16-35.2 in 35mm. When you hold both 17-40 and 10-22 in your hand, you can notice how similar both lenses are. Design is almost identical, they cost almost identical.....but 17-40 is so much better! Not only its constant aperture, build quality is sturdier, its weather sealed and slightly longer (40 vs. 35.2) If you have crop camera then ...

Andy Howell

I think this is a fine lens, light with a grea range and with very good results. I have only ever used this on full frame cameras (5Dii). I have not had the issues some report with corner sharpness. Stop down to f8 or so and you can relax. If portability is an issue for you - I am a hiker taking landscapes for much of the time - you can't go wrong. Great value for money,

+ Build quality is fantastic. Fully sealed with a front filter. Takes common 77mm sized filters. + Fast, silent and accurate focusing. + Very good center sharpness wide open. - Corners especially at 17-20mm is HORRIBLE on full frame, even stop down to f11 - Vignettes with any filter at 17mm, forget about CPL - F4 too slow for general purpose use, landscape + sunny day only.

Bought this lens basically because I couldn't justify the cost of Canon's 2.8 wide zoom. I tend to carry it about all the time and it has served well in sports, news and travel; it shares the same build quality of the rest of the L-series line and stands up to use in pretty wet conditions. However, at the end of the day it simply isn't sharp enough, even when stopped down. If you need ultimate optical quality, buy one of the L-series fix focal length wides instead. Problems: Unsharp.