Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM

Announced Sep 1, 2009 •
Zoom lens | Canon EF-S

of course it depend on your style. i am usually set it to the "optimum aperture" and let the camera do the rest. in this way, you will avoid almost ALL the problem that was reported. the one problem that you wont is the reliability issue. i had to send my lens twice to canon for repairs... the first one was under warranty, but the second one wasn't! that make the price of the lens even higher!

ardeswit

This is truly a great lens. I've been using it for a couple of years with D60 and I am totally happy with it. It is wide, wider than you would expect it to be. It is quick and sharp. If you know what you are shooting the lens will never miss focus. Sometimes it gives you limitation on the long side, but then again, it is not meant to be a tele. The zoom ring is very convenient, the build is very good. Finally, it is big and looks sexy, especially with the native hood. Back when I was buying ...

richpjr

I replaced my trusty old Tamron 28-75 with this lens and wish I had done this a year or so ago. This lens has a very good range for a crop camera, a perfect match with my 70-200 for a 60D. Image quality is good, lens is sharp - highly recommended.

Received my new 15-85 lenses earlier today having put off its purchase for over 12 mths due to my job situation (or lack of ) and my desire to go FF. Lens is well made but not fancy - in fact the earlier 17-85 (which I also have) looks flashier, the construction is good with high grade plastics. The zoom control is quite robust (firm) with no lens creep, the focus action is smooth and fast. Despite poor lighting (its been raining cats and dogs for days across the UK with massive floods in ...

bigkeith

This a good walk around lens for it's price. Like has been mentioned before the lens body is plastic but it is durable. I've run this lens through all kinds of conditions. Just remember that it isn't weather proof so don't think about taking it out to capture bad weather! I would have rated it higher but I had started to transition over to L glass and you really see the difference in build quality. But overall it is a good lens.

EnricoM

It is a bit expensive yes, but it versatile, sharp and has good colors, I love the 15 for panoramas. The main problem with this lens is related to vignetting. You can automatically remove it with medium / high level cameras (such 60d) or in post processing with DPP or other program. Perfect for traveling (unless you are going to a safari, in this case of course you need longer lens).

I really liked this lens (I just sold it along with my T2i today) and will miss having it. I'll keep this brief. Pros: Sharpness, Contrast, Color, Very effective IS, Fast Focusing, Wider than average FOV (24mm EQV). Even wide open this lens performed excellent. The only cons are: Prone to flare if sun is in or near the frame of the picture, lens creaps and there is no lock (zoom ring should be stiffer). That's it. Anyone shooting an APS-C Canon should consider this lens.

OlavM

PROS: -------- * VERY SHARP on my Canon 40D, even wide open ! (70-85 mm: a bit less sharp) * Image stabilizer: Simply Superb. (Neither of my 2 Panasonics, FZ10 or TZ7's IS-systems can match it...and I've always been impressed with the Pana's after several years of use!) Because I keep my Canon 40D set BEYOND ISO 1600 (noise control), the 4 f-stops is really useful, then my "snapping" is done under "nordic light" conditions.... (hate my heavy old tripod) (working the limits, learn to ...

The EF-S 15-85mm f3.5 - 5.6 is a very good lens. Compared to the other kit lenses or carry around lenses from Canon, this lens is much better in terms of build quality & picture sharpness. The IS is near silent & works quite fine to help hand held shots taken at low light. Centre sharpness is very good. The auto focussing is very fast (USM). IS is probably 3 stop & I find it exceptional. I dint experience flares. The edges are soft, significant barrel distortion & noticeable chromatic ...

I like the images I get from this lens, the color and tone are good. However, there are lenses that are less expensive that are sharper. This is all purpose, with big range and good IS and pleasing colors but it will always be general purpose for me.