Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM

Announced Sep 1, 2009 •
Telephoto macro prime lens | Canon EF

Firstly, this lens is much smaller than I had expected. Videos and pictures made the lens seem rather large. However, it's really not a big package. The focus on this lens is very accurate and doesn't hunt for focus like some cheaper lenses that I own. Build quality is good and it's weathersealed :D Here are two images that I have shot on a 600D. Due to low light, I had to bump ISO speeds, so detail is not that great.

This is the first time I buy the special macro lens and I use for outdoor portrait, the result is very good sharp, also for macro, but unfortunately the build of the body is not good as the other L series lens before. And for the IS mode, also as not stable enough as 3rd party brand. The USM work very fast. But the I love this lens.

LORDTEK

Before I purchase this macro lens, I had few question marks. But now I understand it was a right lens for me. It works perfectly for both Macro and Portre.

Franklin J Ellias

Over 40 years of using 90-100 mm lenses including Leitz this is my favorite. I love this lens and the photographs that I have taken with it. Problems: None

VikingPhotographer

Erdil yilmaz

montygm

Fantastic lens. Great image sharpness and colour. Perfect for Macro and also great for portraiture as the F2.8 aperture gives you great out of focus background, Distance makes your subject feel less self conscious when trying to take natural people shots. Have taken a few close up hand held spider shots and quality is superb. Fast focusing and excellent IS as with most Canon lenses. Couldn't be happier. Problems: None. Get one and see for yourself.

Well, what can I say. It is a truly magnificent camera lens. I cant say that the IS is perfect but it does a bit of work. I always take photos hand held so for me it is usable. For an L lens it is not that all magnesium/metal feeling when holding it. It is rather light for a 100mm lens and needs a 67mm filter for completing the weather sealing. The tripod mount is not included but there is no problem in using the camera tripod mount due to the light weight lens. It has a very fast Af in ...

I use this lens with my Canon EOS 7D and before buying it I was aiming to buy the previous model without IS but cheaper. The Canon EF 100mm 1:2,8 L IS USM is truly a fantastic lens for macro photographers. It offers a weather and dust proof sealant and it is light in weight. When shooting everything else but macro it focuses fairly quickly but when you go close to the object you want to switch over to manual mode - I think this is not a negative thing because you can really easy focus on ...