Canon PowerShot SD870 IS (Digital IXUS 860 IS / IXY Digital 910 IS)

Announced Aug 20, 2007 •
8 megapixels | 3 screen | 28 – 105 mm (3.8×)

A great camera except for one main thing - the pictures become soft and smudged a bit towards the telephoto end of the lens. If you're planning to buy this camera for taking pics at max zoom, look elsewhere. Otherwise, if you're not using max (or near max) zoom, you will enjoy bright, colourful photos. Easy to use, nice size.

I am very disappointed with this camera. About 10% of the pictures I took are blurry, it seems to me that the camera is unable to focus. I just bought it because I read very good reviews, maybe I was unlucky with this unit. Problems: Focus problem. The camera does not focus well. Sometimes I take pictures at daylight with automatic configuration (or any other settings) and the picture are blurry. I sent it to Canon authorized repair center and they did not find the problem... even more ...

I loved my SD870 when I first got it. Good to have something that shoots a little more wide. Image colors are terrific especially in the bright sun. Overall I am happy with it except for the known problem noted below. Problems: I have had lots of issues with those "flash orbs". A great many pictures have been ruined by them. For THIS reason I would still say "buy the 870 IF you can get it at a discount". If it isn't cheap look for an updated model with the orbs problem having been resolved.

I bought the SD870 as a gift to my wife. It's simple to use, yet sophisticated. There is no substitute for the wider zoom range. I added the CHDK firmware, mainly so it can shoot RAW. Now when my wife shoots it on automatic I can tweak the images with a modified Raw Shooter Essentials.

It's my third compact camera. I like it's wide lens and convenient zoom knob. Problems:

I bought this camera in preparation for a vacation, and I've been very happy with it. I replaced my Canon A610. That is a terrific camera, but too large to fit in my pocket, and I found I often wanted a wider angle shot. The SD870IS has more than lived up to my expectations. It is small, takes lots of photos without changing the battery, has a very useful zoom range, slips easily into my pocket, and is very easy to adjust in all the ways that I want to adjust it. (I set the "print" button ...

I bought this camera as I was stepping down from A DSLR that I found myself not actually ever taking with me anywhere. It takes good pictures for what it is, and yeah it does have a nice wide lens, but do the math: it doesn't zoom any more than any other camera, it's just that the widest opening is much smaller so the math makes its equal zoom shot seem more impressive (4.7 versus almost all other elphs @ 4.0). However, I Had to send this camera back. Problems: I found that over about 70% ...

WOW - Without doubt, the best, well balanced, feature filled, 4X zoom P&S camera in the market right now, period. The picture quality of this little gem even rivals DSLR at lower ISO. A beauty in terms of size, looks and performance. Generally speaking, Canon makes best (above 9/10 rating) point and shoot, Sony best entry level DSLR's and Nikon best professional DSLR cameras. However, the difference is not that much between some other makes like Olympus, Panasonic and Pentax, at lower ratings ...

What can I say...the information on the JPG picture on my SD870 IS enable me to PP to my liking! Please note that as far as DSLR goes, NIKON is King! Problems: None.

Please dont forget its a POINT AND SHOOT camera and you cant compare this camera with Semi-SLR or DSLR cameras. Ive taken over 12000 pictrues since last year and im happy with this camera. However, some of the pictures are not as sharp or as colorful as they are suppose to be ...but all that can be fixed with Photoshop. IM HAPPY with this camera and the Wide angle lens is very useful for a point and shoot camera such as SD800