Canon PowerShot S90

Announced Aug 19, 2009 •
10 megapixels | 3 screen | 28 – 105 mm (3.8×)
basiac

I have come back from a Festival, taking only the S90, and I have come back with the best photos ever. Problems: Only the finger exercise from avoiding that pop-up flash, but I am getting used to it. And, the flash is strong and accurate.

JoelMK

Overall, I'm satisfied with the camera. The JPG images are excellent. Noise and barrel distortion are clearly being handled by the firmware, with little loss of detail. RAW images continue to be plagued by noise, which Photoshop ACR is not able to correct. For those who have not noticed, the latest version of ACR corrects the barrel distortion. Canon's DPP software corrects the noise and barrel. I prefer to use ACR, so I am hoping that Adobe's engineers address the noise problem soon. Problems: ...

snapshot09

A premium camera that is the benchmark of the pocket size class. Price tends to be at the higher end of the market, but this is expected due to the superior IQ, pocket size, and fast f2.0 lens. Low light settings are amazing! You get what you pay for and if you want the best pocket size camera on the market, look no further than the S90.

Mark

This compact camera has re-ignited my enthusiasm for photography. I had just gotten tired of taking a bag full of body and lenses out for a shoot, but wasn't happy just pointing and shooting with various compacts. I'm enjoying the controls again, am pleased with the IQ (jpegs,haven't tried raw yet), and even in a small case, it fits easily in my pocket. Problems: None yet; even the rear wheel hasn't been a problem for me.

bohdanz

Headed for an S90 until I read this... http://craigmod.com/journal/gf1-fieldtest/

bohdanz

iehh

I am owning a Nikon D300, Panasonic FZ50, Fuji F31FD and some older Cams. The S90 should replace the Fuji. I used the Fuji especially for low light situation when I don't want to take the Nikon with me. Although the Fuji has no image stabilisation it beats the S90 in any way. The S90 picture are totally weak, only the center shows an idea of sharpness. The white balance sometimes is a game of luck. The stabilized S90 can't beat the Fuji low performance because ISO1600 from Fuji is far ...

Sabatia

After being an early adopter of digital, now on my sixth DSLR, and after considering buying a compact for more than five years, this is the first compact that meets my standards. Manual controls, decent wide angle, decent zoom, and improved image quality. I had considered the LX1 & 2 and F200, but their image quality didn't make it for me--I have a pro wide format printer and make big prints. I tried the LX3 but the limited zoom stopped me from buying. This camera is small enough to put in a ...

gilo

I have had it for about 3 weeks now. While the camera overall is nicely built and has a number of features, I think that if dpreview had posted a review in time indicating its shortcomings, most probably I would not have bought it. But unfortunately the only review available was at that time the one of photographyblog and that was glowing... This is certainly a good camera for snaps, but it doesn't go much beyond that. The focus is reasonably fast and the overall ease of use is also ok, but ...

wlis

I owned Canon G1, G2 and G5, recently been using Canon SD870IS as the pocket camera and Nikon D90 as the main one. After reading all reviews of this S90 decided to buy, got one at BestBuy two days ago. First impressions very positive - good quality feel, lots of function, great low light performance, a joy to hold and use. Problems: As all other users- the lose ring on the back, why with so many customization this one cannot be switched off? Would prefer to have the power switch in the right.