Canon PowerShot A1000 IS

Announced Aug 26, 2008 •

I based my ratings on the money the camera cost the the segment that it is in. It is a lovely little camera, easy to use, compact, small and with top quality build. I was surprised, pleasantly so. Image Quality is perfect for what you use a compact for, a little noisy but perfectly acceptable for making nice pictures. Problems: The usual with compacts really, noise, small sensor, but thats not what you buy one for is it.

goanna

This was purchased with Loyalty Reward points as a fit in pocket emargency camera and it fits the bill perfectly. I do miss being able to set Aperture and/or shutter speed but hey thats not what I bougth the camera for. My normal Camera is a Canon 40D but a bit too much for some situations. The A1000IS is great value for money

Arlin

After looking at virtually every camera in the $125- $150 range, I bought this camera for my Photoshop classes to use. The feature set is very impressive. After reading reviews complaining of LCD problems I went for an in-store extended warranty. A major selling point for me was that I could easily toggle between display modes, one of which shows the histogram. I have learned to use the histogram to check exposure under difficult conditions, and once you learn to use it you don't want to be ...

JMZ48

Very uncomfortable to hold. A590IS is much better choice and it is less expensive. A1000IS badly needs better, larger grip. This new body is a large step backward from previous excellent Axx models, in my opinion. Problems: Hopefuly next model will have larger view finder, since LCD is not adequate in bright light conditions.

JeBa

Very poor resolution in the digital viewfinder. Sears has these on clearance - is this camera going to be discontued? Problems: Battery / SD card door difficult to open - chintzy. Rubber cover for USB cable connection difficult to snap back into place when closing.

This is really a great little Camera, easy to fit in pocket or handbag. It has a lot of extra features that you don't usually get on a compact camera. I love the build quality, it has a solid feel and the soft grip makes it easy to hold with one hand. Other good features are that it uses AA batteries so you will never run low on power. Has a small but not completely usless viewfinder for those shots in bright sunlight. I found the LCD Screen bright and clear and of a reasonable size. I can ...