Sony Alpha SLT-A58

Announced Feb 20, 2013 •
20 megapixels | 2.7 screen
Eskilsson

I bought a used one very cheep a few days ago (the 2 zoom kit). I like the most of it, but there is some flaws: There is no limit settings for auto iso. The viewfinder is a bit difficult for my glasses. I would also enjoyed more direct wheels instead of being forced into the meny system.

himanshusingh

This camera has been around for almost three years now, so the review is a bit old. There is an upgrade A68 coming shortly, but that will be priced a bit higher, and A58 might get a price reduction if the sales start to dip. So, I thought of adding my review of the camera anyways. I am not a pro and don't claim to be an expert. However, I love photography and am quite passionate about it. I have been using A58 for the past couple of years. Initially I was inclined towards the then newly ...

fzrTom

Last june, I bought an A58 to replace my dying A33. After 6 monthes of use I'm mostly happy with it. The PROS : (1) In Body Image Stabilization (IBIS) : very efficient, every lens are stabilized weight less and cost less. The only thing I miss is the bar graph of the A33 that shows the efficiency of the stabilization. IBIS is a very nice feature of every Sony APSC camera.

If you want complete package of each professional camera elemnt in entry level dslr you can have that in only Sony slt-a58.

Eskilsson

Bought a used set with the two kitlenses. A lot of camera for the money. Very quick and accurate focusing. A bit thick, but nice grip. Both screen and evf are difficult to use with sun against me, and the evf is not perfect for people who were glasses. The UI is ok, but a bit slow, as well as power-on. Very good image qualitet. But I don`t trust the metering, it`doesn`t make sense, in most conditions. Maybe it seems that I am unhappy with the cam, but no, I`m not.

Once again, I let Sony's sizzle distract me from the steak of the matter... After having sworn off Sony products for a while, I found the concept of their SLT cameras intriguing -- indeed, I recommended the SLT-a55 to friends and they love it. So, when it came time to graduate from a P&S to an SLR, after much research, I settled on the a58. Out of the box, it's a great camera -- good size for my hands and very responsive for the price. Then, I went looking for things... I purchased the ...

I owned several Sony Alpha cameras, a37, a57, a77 and now a58. I also have comparison to Nikon, Canon and Panasonic cameras. The a58 is just a great and cheap camera, in current Sony camera lineup its in 3rd place: 1.a77II > 2.a99 > 3.a58 > 4.a57 > 5.a77 > 6.a900 > 7.a850 > 8.a65 > 9.a37 > ... You will ask why its better then a57, as on paper a57 is a lot better, well, here are my findings after using a58 for a while: (1) The AF on a58 is more accurate then a57 (on paper its the same). Its not ...

Sarthak12

Its a very good camera for people just starting to use a DSLR and otherwise also!

Foxy2012

Coming from a video background I must say the advancements in technology allow for a startling increase in video detail with a dramatic drop in price. So I guess this idea is old hat but it's amazing you can do with a couple hundred bucks these days. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't be posting in this forum. I am not much of a photographer although I do enjoy taking photos and have snapped a few pics that people really appreciate. Great. This camera makes it easy to take wonderful photos and ...

DaPonti

After about a year and thousands of pictures, I remain convinced the a58 was the best camera I could buy for its price. The obvious good (shared with all SLTs I guess): EVF, IBIS, good availability of 2nd hand lenses (paid 320$ for the 16-50), beginner friendly modes, good color rendition, good live view, autofocus is fine, focus peaking is great... The good: (1) Well finished software: responsive UI, tethering works flawlessly, no bugs whatsoever;