Sony Alpha DSLR-A700

Announced Sep 6, 2007 •
12 megapixels | 3 screen | APS-C sensor
dpwcom

The A700 is a great camera if you use good lenses the pictures look great.I have won competitions with this camera and if you read the manual you will learn more about this black box. One thing I have never done is get caught up with the jewelry of photography; - do you use Pentax,Canon, Nikon etc NO CAMERA EVER TOOK A GREAT PICTURE YOU DO THAT so read the manual and you will, buy some good glass happy days well done Sony:) Problems: None if you read the manual:)

chych

I've had this camera for half a year now, and came from the A100 and Minolta 7D. Overall I think the camera is excellent, produces great high resolution RAW images and handles very well, and is very responsive. Autofocus screw drive motor is snappy, much better than the a100 or 7D. With firmware v4, RAW images are even better and HDR bracketing is possible, which really improved my impression of this camera. Wireless flash is awesome too, and very easy to use - just switch to MR1, pull off ...

JMCO

Ignoring the "retail" price, this is an incredible camera. The more I use it the more I like it. I paid well below retail during the Best Buy closeout (which they have since reversed and are still selling it). At that low price, it is an even better deal. But, even if I had paid retail or say, a hundred or so below, I would still love it. The best deal seems to be the kit with the better lens. If I was buying now, I would go with that kit. I also have the vertical grip which has great ...

nozomi

The AF could be more precisely. The Body is nice, more sealing would be great. Problems: none

Rab

After trying out the Canon 40D for 2 weeks and the Nikon D300 for a month, I decided to try out the a700 for comparison and I was blown away. It's very much a D300 without the Nikon branding and I saved a lot of money in the process. Just an amazing photographic tool. Problems: None with the camera itself but I'm finding the Sony lens line-up to be short and hoping that they will quickly expand their lens portfolio.

CjMcDonald

Great camera, the best Digital Alpha Mount camera ever made. Quick focus, Low noise. Worth Every Penny!! Problems: None to Date

PeterPh

Very fast Autofocus, excellent ISO performance and handling means that I now am able to further explore my hobby. I am now taking pictures that were simply impossible before - ISO 3200, 1/4sec, f1.4! Sony's ever increasing lens, flash and accessories mean that there is much better support than in the KM days.

ifi12ican

A FREE color temperature analyzer included (which would cost $1,200 separately)! As I describe below, there is a little discussed feature that allows you to set the white balance for the ambient light practically perfectly. I have had my Sony Alpha 700 for about six weeks now, have used it extensively on a vacation, and have tried most of the features. I'm impressed with: - the solid "feel" of the camera build - the 5 frames per second continuous shooting until the card is full (many other ...

moire

I love this camera, easy to use and intuitive at all levels! Fast, responsive, good ergonomics everything that you wish from a high end amateur camera. Only 4.5 for IQ although its excellent for 12Mp , I wish it would have sticked with 10MP on APS-c. I don't have use for bigger images

jim park

This is my third DSLR after Nikon D1X and D40x. I tried my friends Canon (400D, 20D, 5D) before deciding against them and jump ship to Sony. Images straight out of the a700 shows very accurate color rendition with good tonal range. I really like all the buttons on the body so that you don't have to dig through the menu system. Camera is pretty fast and battery life seems to be good. Please buy vertical grip, it is a must on a700 - match made in haven. I had little bit of back focussing issue, ...