Pentax K-x

Announced Sep 17, 2009 •
12 megapixels | 2.7 screen | APS-C sensor
elias giannopoulos

Problems: Big problem is moire in video mode and the auto iso settings in video mode.. i hope in the next fimrware update from Pentax

Ricardo Pantoja

Perfect Camera for the price... I was deciding between NIKON D5000 (My daughter has one, $849 by June/09) and a Pentax K-x ($549 by Feb/2010), almost similar cameras. I'm really satisfied with the 4.7 fps continuous shooting up to fill the buffer (According to specs, 17 pictures), however, using a 4Gb, 30Mbps class 6 SANDISK extreme memory I'm getting up to 22/25 continuous shooting. The major concern in the reviews was the lack of focus points... I don't found any problem with this. I just ...

maxisben91

This is my 3rd DSLR after Olympus E300 and E510, the reason I decided to change brand is just simply b'cos I need a high ISO capable camera with good noise control. And Pentax K-x is using the same cmos sensor as Nikon D90, this already a guarantee for picture quality but price much lower than D90 :) I have made some test, ISO at 1600 is highly acceptable, above ISO 3200 until 6400 needing some software touch up, 12800 definitely for emergency. Overall, I'm satisfied with most of the ...

Graystar

I got the camera for $644 for the two-lens, 55-300 kit. I thought it was a great deal until the blurry image problem was noticed. Also, after using the camera I decided that optical IS is better than sensor based. With optical you can see the stabilized image in the viewfinder, and that helps with autofocus as and metering to a certain extent. So I've returned my K-x as defective, and when I get my refund I'm buying a Nikon D90. Problems: Focus point had to be adjusted. blurry images ...

stanic042

perfect camera for the price, easy to get used to use it :) good continuous drive even with raw files, I shoot mostly with ISO 400 and raw, seems like the best combination able to use old M42 lens with macrorings thanks to K/M42 adaptor, this is when focus indicator and 10x live view come to their glory no problems with lack of focus points, using the Select AF point together with brain usage makes me happy I shoot some 1800 pics in 2 weeks, getting around 400 on 1 charge (sanyo NiMH 2700), ...

gebco

I bought this camera based on the positive reviews of its high ISO capabilities, and it has not disappointed. I have had the camera for about 2 weeks and have taken pics with the kit lens in arenas that print well. The menu system is simple to figure out. Value is outstanding: I paid less for this camera than I did for my Sony V3 P&S several years ago! I use this camera mainly for family pics, childrens' concerts, sports, etc.

Chitrak Gupta

The K-X is a value for money. For 600$ i get a dslr with 18-55 and 50-200 lens. I am enjoying taking photos. The controls are intuitive. The video quality is also very good. Problems: Live view is not great. Some may not like AA batteries.

GabFla

- Easy to use, good interface. - Access to the main functionalies by means of dedicated buttons (white balance, focus type,flash, ISO, and so on...) - Excellent image quality. - Fast focus. - Excellent image colours! - Very Cheap! Problems: - Some buttons are too small. - During video recording the stabilizer is very noisy.

JoeDaBassPlayer

It is hard to fault this camera at its price. Build quality and image quality are terrific. This is a great high ISO camera. I prefer the K2000 at base ISO but above that, it is the Kx without a doubt. Handling is impeccable with a very fast and accurate AF. The only reason to get a more expensive camera is for the external controls. Problems: The default Bright Tone is a bit too much. Natural tone, +1 Fine Sharpness and -0.3 EV do the trick.

Edmis

Seems like brilliant high iso performer. Great sensor. Gona buy it immediately. I just wonder, could Pentax make something smaller like micro 4/3 (panasonic GF1). Pentax has already 3 great pancake lenss for it. Put theese lens on small body with brilliant sensor, implement high quality video and you have no competition. Problems: Poor audio in video mode, high level of noise. AA bateries (personaly I don't like). No posibilities to focus in video mode (have a look at Panasonic GF1)