Pentax K-7

Announced May 20, 2009 •
15 megapixels | 3 screen | APS-C sensor
hikenhi

I was glad on one hand that I'd passed on the K-20D for the K-7, but on the other hand hugely disappointed when the K-5 rolled out 5 months after I got my K-7. Most impressive about the K-7 and the K-5 as well, is the very nice & compact magnesium body, that Pentax put forth a very good design in its feel and ergonomics. The camera has an incredible feel in your hands. The thing that I like most about this body style is that it offers so much in such a compact design and it doesn't take ...

jimrpdx

The A700 Sony refused to make! Compact, full-featured, weather resistant, long-life shutter, exposure versatility and more custom options than I can keep up with! Some day I will try live view and video, but they are not what I'm about. I've seen some hi-iso issues online but don't shoot past iso1250 often so I'm not concerned. Problems: Wish the menu selections showed more than numbers as settings - but at least the numerous options are there to select!

John Farrer

Great camera, in every way it is what I had been waiting for with one small reservation (see below). Problems: Pentax doesn't seem to research the size of fingers that will be removing the memory card. It was difficult with the ist*D to the point that I had to use tweezers to get it out. The K10 was a major advance, but with the K7 it is back to square one.

ianlegionaire175024

I bought my k7 last year in Sep in Singapore & since then it has been thoroughly soaked in Thailands Song Kran festival dropped fallen out of my scooter basket & it still works without a hitch I am really amazed, as my 6x72 nor my 645 would stand up to what the k7 has already been through. Problems: I dont understand the file no system but hope to work it out? NONE

2smokin

Almost perfect.. but... (Hello, are you listening Pentax???) Truly needs ISO and low light improvement. Even on a tripod results can be a bit disappointing. Packed with features... though I'd much prefer better low light performance as apposed to more in camera filters etc... Small small size, very solid construction and weather sealing is perfect for me.

wrx_sti_22b

I simply love this K-7... my first dSLR was the *ist DS, later jumped ship to Olympus (having owned before E-330, E-510, E-520 & E-3) & now back with Pentax. I use the K-7 with Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4 OS HSM lens. Problems: Menu not as easy as Olympus, or maybe i have not got used to it yet.

WeeGee

Well, almost perfect. Best usability, very thoughtful functions, weather proof is a godsend sometimes. Very responsive. Great upgrade from K20D. Does what it should and does it very good. Quite improved metering from K20D. Two things I miss: better high ISO performance (It's not bad, but I shoot so much low light that I could use every bit I can get) and a integrated GPS. Problems: none after 30000 pictures.

avicenanw

Pentax need to improve 2 things to get all 5 stars from me. 1. Improve high ISO performance. 2. Improve the menu. Pentax menu is like DOS vs Windows from the likes of Canon and Nikon. Overall, this is still the best value for the money.

Ken Knott

I love this camera. I primarily use it for backpacking and hiking. It's lightweight is a wonderful boon and it's weather resistance and sturdy build and well tested. The new weather sealed kit lens is terrific. The picture quality is outstanding. The shutter speed is terrific. I had great fun photographing a live football game recently. As far as ISO, perhaps it could be better but it has not limited me in any way up to this point. I am absolutely pleased with my K7.

Fl_Gulfer

This is my 3rd Pentax DSLR (K100D,K-20D) And I think the K-7 is the best of the bunch. I love the smaller size and the quietness of the shutter. I don't see how anyone could complain about this camera.