Pentax K20D

Announced Jan 23, 2008 •
15 megapixels | 2.7 screen | APS-C sensor
Chuck Fralick

Truly the deal of the year in a DSLR. I got mine for just over $1k and the $100 rebate. It's not a miracle camera like some of the gushing reviews would have you believe. It is however a very well made camera with excellent performance in most areas. The great aspects are a huge, easy to access feature list, very nice image quality with great color, and a well-sealed body. The autofocus is not as fast as the better competition and the frame rate is middle of the road. Neither of those is of h ...

ikillrocknroll

This camera is perfect for my needs, and I don't think I would want any other. Its a very solid camera, comfortable to hold and with weather sealing, theres no need to worry about rain or dust getting in the body. I've rated the features 4.0 due to the lack of an AF assist, and the fact that AF ISNT upto the standards of say, the D300 (same class), however for me, not doing alot of action/sports photography, this is fine, and the fact that the high ISO performance is outstanding, balances it ...

sinoyank

Very innovative product which is rather reflective of its manufacturer. A true Gem of a DSLR. In-body stablization, high IQ, excellent ergonomics.., this camera feels just so right to hold and so versatile to use. A photographer's camera and the best in class as an advanced prosumer DSLR. Problems: Live-view is acceptable, can't be compared to the Oly's version but then again, how many of us and how often do we use this feature in serious photography.

usapatriot

The Pentax K20D is an outstanding camera. It is very solidly built and has weather and dust sealing. The ergonomics are also great. Image quality is amazing, the 14mp CMOS captures A LOT of detail and ISO 1600 is very usable. This camera is made by photographers for photographers. It has none of the extra fat that many other cameras carry along. Every feature on the camera is useful. Problems: Live view missing a few features but still very usable.

Russ Houston

Significant upgrade over the (very nice) K10D. Better noise control at high ISO. Better/faster AF. More features, including live view. Higher resolution. Just a joy to use and the best dSLR value out there. Problems: None.

Tudor07

In May I sold K10D and bought instead K20D. Besides all great features K10D has, K20D benefits from the following improvements: CMOS, 14.6 MP, low noise at high ISO, ISO up to 6400, 2.7" LCD, live view. Problems: not the case

Ulf Larsson

Excellent image quality under most circumstances. Easy to handle. Effective in-house antishake, almost 4 stops. Good at high ISO, good up to 800 and still usable at 1600. Problems: The live view implementation isn't the best.

HogRider_

What others already said. It's a great camera with amazing image quality. Image quality is what this is all about. Also - I do a lot of HDR landscapes and this camera is just perfect for it (easy and fast access to bracketing modes). Don't understand why people always have to complain about the speed. I have used SLRs for 30 years and never had the desire to shoot 5 FPS. How many people really need that anyway? I'd rather have great ergonomics, lens compatibility and image quality :-) Problems:

A big leap from K10D in terms of IQ. The coloyr rendition and resolution will stunt your eyes. Never regret of my upgrade from K10D. Problems: The Hi ISO noise and the sluggish low light AF still become the biggest set back.

Torphoto

I have previously had both the 40D and D200 and was waiting to see what camera gave me the best IQ, after getting a few test shots from someone with a K20D I was sold. Good build, weather sealed, great usable features and most of all, the best IQ of any camera less than $2500 at the time. I went as far as comparing studio shots from the K20D vs the 5D and at low iso it quite easily matched the 5D for IQ. I even had owners with D300's drop their jaws in AWE with the detail the K20D delivers. I ...