Pentax K100D Super

Announced Jun 28, 2007 •
6 megapixels | 2.5 screen | APS-C sensor
Neil Kohl

I chose this over the entry-level Canon and Nikon offerings because it fit better in my hand and felt more substantial. The kit lens also feels better constructed than the others; according to the review on this site it's of fairly good optical quality too. Since I have extensive experience using a film camera that didn't even take a battery, it's been quite a job trying to learn all the options. The manual is pretty comprehensive and helpful but you'll still need additional guidance if you ...

Corne

Bought this camera based on its features. It's now on ebay. It's an excellent camera, with great features for the money. It's also the biggest and heaviest entry level dslr there is. Which was the only thing I didnt like about it. Problems: None.

lebritches

Just purchased this camera at beginning of year with the rebate. For the money this is an excellent camera! Getting use to all the settings yet. Love that I can use my old AF lens with camera! My old 35mm film camera died on me and when I found out you could use those lens with the digital, I couldn't pass this up! Pictures are beautiful! The 6.0 mp is fine for what I use the photos for. Anti shake is great too! Problems: None yet

Very good camera. Never tried a Canon or Nikon SLR, but very happy with this one. Features are very complete and very easy to use. Very good noise management up to 800 iso. Nice built-in quick photo editor. Definitely a great buy for beginners!! Who needs 10M pixel? Samy Problems: photos are always 72DPI... Raw images are .PEF and not editable in photoshop. I find the Pentax software not excellent.

Solid build quality, uses virtually all Pentax lenses ever made, nice viewfinder, low noise, excellent photos, AF works fast (except below), $100 rebate availabe. Problems: On some occassions it takes time for it to lock focus in AF mode but the camera actually tries whereas some DSLRs would just give up focusing.

The right blend of features & manual controls to allow creative exploration while providing good P&S operation as an alternative. Good image quality and great value for the money.

Darren Aliga

This is my first DSLR from a film Minolta. I love this camera. I bought it on a Black Friday special which included a 80-200 lens. The pictures are great for a JPEG image from a camera. The case is solid compared to Canon cameras. It is pretty hefty in weight. But it is good to feel like your camera is built tough. Problems: The PEF(RAW) images do not open in PS CS2 even with an update of camera raw for cs2. I had to use the camera software. It works great too!

penty

This is one of the best low-cost amateur DSLR in the market at this moment. Menu system is very user-friendly, image quailty is suprising especially when you take picture in RAW format. I recommend this body to everyone who won't spend a lot of money but still buy high performance entry-level camera. P.S.: KIT lens Pentax smc 18-55 is also above my expectations Problems: - I miss backlight on Top LCD panel and ISO&WB hard buttons

Very good camera at the price.Takes very good pictures in automode and at low aperature in low light whitout flash.Very good colors in pictures and very sharp too, no problem it's a 6M pix camera,takes better pictures than Sony alpha 100 with 10M pix. And there are lots of old and used lenses on the market at a very affordable price. Problems: No problems found so far :-)

xophedebx

- Well built - Easy to use - Very good image quality for a 6 Mpix - Fast AF (depending on lenses used) - Incredible price/quality/possibilities ratio see my site: www. christophevlaminck.net http://www.christophevlaminck.net/K100D.html Problems: - Viewfinder too small for me - Buffer to small (5 pictures)