Pentax smc FA 50mm F1.4

Prime lens | Pentax KAF

This lens has been available for what seems eternity, especially in the modern era where optics seem to being replaced by newer models every few years. I am on my second copy, due to my original version being stolen along with a number of other lenses and cameras recently. What do I think of it after many years of use? Well to be honest I love it! Sure there is a lot of CA and PF wide open, and it is soft from F1.4 through to F2.5, but not excessively so. From F2.5 through to F8 it REALLY ...

xmeda

Nice lens, F1.4-F2 is a bit soft and contains chromatic aberations. F2.8+ is really sharp. F5.6-F7.1 produces excellent resolution. AF is very fast. Smooth bokeh, but sometimes those non-rounded eight aperture blades are a bit visible. Build quality very good. Lens is small and light. Contrast can be enhanced by optional lens hood which I strongly recommend to buy. Cheap third-party one for 49mm screw is enough and helps significantly. Problems: Lens hood not provided - 49mm screw hood needed.

joy8

I use it for portraits and close-ups at f 4-5,6 and with 1,7x-AF-converter:best results without any CA's. Very, very sharp. For landscapes with high contrast in the corners, very small CA's visible.(no problem with PhSh 4 or 8) I take with it astrophotos between f 2,8.4 with my k-x (12.800 iSO), too.Astigmatism very well controlled. Stars are sharp points. One of my best lenses. High contrast, nice colors, nice bokeh.

To make a long story short, the FA 50 1.4 is a great lens for the cost that I paid for mine in used condition. It’s; very light and compact, focuses relatively fast on my K-5, produces a very nice Bokeh, and is pretty sharp at f1.8 or higher. The thing I like most about this lens over say the $650-800 DA*55 1.4, which you'll never find a used copy for under $500, is that I only paid $175 for mine in a moderately used condition. So, I get a lot more performance/price ratio and don’t ever ...

Jarda_Houdek

I owned this lens for about 2 years, until I had a chance to try out the newer DA*55. FA50 is not bad, it is quite small and fast in AF too. But it just cannot catch up with the image quality of newer designs like the DA* or Sigma 50/1,4

andrea_g

it's a lens from film time. It's not very sharp at full aperture, but just stopped down to F/2 it works pretty well and it's very compact, far more compact than its competitors. I love it Problems: None