Pentax Optio WPi

Announced Aug 31, 2005 •
wgkellyjr

Problems: I bought an Optio WPi for a bonefishing trip to the Bahamas. This was my first digital camera. Needless to say, I was trying to use it almost entirely outside in bright light. Under those conditions -- particularly on sunny days -- I could not see any usable image in the monitor, which made it almost totally useless. My guide's digital camera had a see-through viewfinder, which allowed good use in the sun, but the Optio has only the digital monitor.

Shato

Had this camera for a couple of years. Finally, in November 2006, drowned it. Overall it produced many nice underwater shots, and some from whitewater rafting. Beach ones were Ok, never used it indoors. It was a great backup for DSLR equipment in every travel, kinda miss it. Problems: 1. When shooting the fish, had to turn to shutter priority and set it to 1/160 - that was the limit of unblurry photos. With the 200 ISO (limit of ungrainy photos) that was a bit limiting without the flash. ...

Mishka

This is a very handy compact camera. The camera excels when taking close up shots both in or out of the water. The landscape pics however are not worth worrying about as they are blurry and lack any detail. If you want a camera for snapping people or shallow water shooting (diving/surfing) i would recommend it. If you take this unit deeper than the suggested 6 feet (say 7to8 feet) the unit does not leak but the shutter button cannot be pressed. Problems: nil

akloeckner

Outstanding outdoor and even underwater performance, well "pocketable", even as twin set up for stereo photographs Problems: tripod thread too weak, "platform" around thread far too small, result: flimsy camera mounting, damage prone

laurentsj

Optio is great as a snapshot camera that can resist water and dust. That is it. The images are of a snapshot camera. If you want good quality pictures, go for another camera, and invest in a waterproof case.

MrPelikin

I've been using a Nikon E995 (3.5MP), and wanted an upgrade to an Ultra-compact happy-snap camera. I bought the WPi for the waterproof feature. Apart from being a little fiddly to learn, all the supplied features seem ok. But what really lets this camera down is the "image quality", or precisely the total lack of image quality. Pictures that look ok when viewed on the on-camera display, or that look ok when viewed fit-to-screen (1280x1024), look absolutely terrible when viewed "actual size". ...

Alx_2716

This is my third Pentax camera and I love it more than the other two combined. My last camera was the S5i and I loved it and didnt think it could get topped, but the WPi has more megapixels, larger screen, more options, faster zoon, plus its waterproof. This is the perfect camera for anyone but especially the outdoorsmen who might find themselve around water. Buydig.com is where i got it, fast shipping, Willoughbys is also a top notch dealer Problems: Hard to take pictures in low light conditions

bpepper

I bought this camera on Dec. 12th, flew to Australia the next day. I bought this camera to be used when it wasn't practical to carry my D-SLR. Picture quality seems great, the LCD screen is large and bright. Problems: Camera worked great for a couple of weeks, took it into the water numerous times. Eventually though I believe it got water into it and has since stopped working. We'll see what Pentax does about it. I never took it below the maximum depth, probably never close. Jan. 19/05 I ...

EMT PJ

I just bought this camera as my first digital camera. I plan on using it for home, as well as on my ambulance. The waterproof feature is a big deal. I have taken 3 pics in murky water, and 2 in salt water on accident scenes, and the pics came out great as did the camera. I worry about the view screen on the back getting scratched, but I think a simple screen protector like I have on my PDA would be a great precautionary measure.

EMT PJ