Pentax Optio 550

Announced Feb 18, 2003 •
A N

A great camera! Getting used to the small size takes time, but once the hand is used to it, it's easy and fast to use. Size is one great advantage, but image quality is much more. Very clear and sharp images, even at very low light.

ThomasR

I have this nice little camera since 4 weeks. Took a lot of photos to compare one and the same motive under different conditions. Nothing to carp at image quality and easy-to-use. Excellent the menu and the configuration possibilities. Also start-up and being ready for the next shot takes acceptable short time. Problems: Only 16 MB SD comes with it - its not really that what you have to have. A big bug: Viewing pictures taken in HighRes mode at the TV will produce poor quality since the ...

BigSol

Love the camera, has all the features and more, than I was looking for GREAT CAMERA Problems: Had to buy an additional SD card

MGood18

Took back after two days of hard use. Nice camera loaded with features but the negative reviews on weak flash and poor indoor quality are accurate. Shots at full zoom were also VERY grainy. I purchased this camera as a backup to my Olympus C-4040. Primary use would have been for casual shooting. But I also wanted it to be a camera that I did not have to manually adjust much to get good all purpose shots. Sticking with my Olympus for now. Might looks at Nikon when they design a true ultra-compact.

A brilliant camera, easy to use and great pictures - Only thing I miss, is the possibility to use additional flash, sometimes

I spent quite a lot of time reviewing and trying out digital cameras before I decided on the pentax optio 550. I nearly bought the cannon G3 as I wanted at least 4 x op zoom then my local camera shop showed me this one. I was astounded at the size and quality of the pictures he showed me he had taken with the camera and the size and feel of it in my hands. After reading the reviews on this site I was worried about buying it though as I wanted to take pictures indoors so I took a 2 week trial.

Battery life is absolutely amazing! No other camera has this many features! Small, compact, easy to use. Problems: Had 1 stuck pixel on the LCD display.

Don_D

Finally! I have been waiting for several years to purchase a camera with this set of features. At this time I know of no other digital camera that meets my "minimum requirements": 1) 5x optical zoom (3x is not enough) 2) small enough (even in its case) to carry in a zippered jacket pocket, pants pocket or to hang around my neck beneath jacket...but not so tiny that it is difficult to hold and operate. 3) 5 mpixel 4) excellent battery life 5) decent sized optical viewfinder placed at top ...

Paul Marlow

My first digital camera - and pleasantly surpirsed at the features it contains in such a comact camera. Have experienced the fantastic macro shots of the garden flowers - now to sample the Canadian Rockies landscapes! Problems: The manual - does not help the beginner/ novice to better understand and use the many features of the camera. The high price £550 in UK High St but obtained for £452 via the internet.

Doc Tonic

I think its a safe bet to say that for outdoor pictures this is the pocket camera to get. Plenty of reviewers have already posted great things about the outdoor shots on this camera. So, rather than discuss its highlights, I'm going to focus on the big downside of this camera....noisy indoor shots. Even at ISO 64 or 100, the indoor shots leave much to be desired in terms of noise level. If you were to compare it to the canon line of camera (well known for their low noise level), you ...