Pentax Optio 430

Announced Sep 26, 2001 •
Lawrence Levy

This camera is a pleasure to use. Its small size and light weight make this a tiny point & shoot digicam with great pictures. Unlike my 35mm SLR (Pentax Z-1) which takes better pictures than any digicam I've used, I can take the 430 on hikes and climbs and not notice it's there until I want to take a picture. Then, it's good enough to capture what I'm shooting quickly enough not to slow down the people I'm with. It's the ideal trip camera. As long as you don't require a very long lens or a ...

Solid but heavy body. As heavy as Canon IXUS v. Strong stainless steel body that can resist most impact. I usually crashed it with the table and there is no sign of scratch. Soft case is not included coz it won't get worn! User friendly. One whose a newbie can use it after 2 sec. Good pictures/video at night shot with low noises. However if sound is included will be much much better. Amazingly you can ZOOM when recording video. A bit noisy while zooming. I was discovered when I tried to take ...

It is a good camera, small, light and good photo quality. Battery life, I think is around 1 hour same as another DC. Strongly recommend to new user. Problems: When the camera use for long time, the case is warm but still acceptable.

Zoom range is too modest. Serious syn problem when shooting video at a TV monitor.

My first digital camera. Very pleased, so small can take it anywhere. Picture quality can sometimes look 'bright', like a David Bowie video :-) Even better value as a friend bought it in Hong Kong for GBP £470 (High Street £700) and Pentax give 12 month Worldwide warranty. Nice! Problems: Battery life is short with display switched on: I've bought a second battery

This is my pocket alternative to my G1. For its size it is difficult to fault. Start-up time is pretty quick and a third of the G1. I wish they would supply a soft pouch style case for it - I am currently using a old calculator slip pouch which is a nice snug fit. Problems: Doesn't seem to like back-lit situations.

Great size. Great build quality. Easy to use. Good Image quality. It feels good in your hand. No sound in movie mode is a bummer. Good competition is the Cannon Powershot S40. I thinks its a perfect DC for web/personal/fun needs. Good for a first time camera buyer. Problems: LCD screen is not great. No sound in Movie mode. Crappy software.

Its my first digital camera & its easy to use, light to carry around & the PC interface s/w was also straightforward. Problems: Had problems using a 256mb CF card. Camera kept getting memory errors so we had to down grade to 128Mb *2. Let hope it works!

malcolm moy

To change my last review. The lens is good but I needed a tripod to realise. In England when the Sun doesn't shine you easily get into camera shake. When the Sun came out all was well. Problems: To much delay for the shutter release. Need to pre focus, which is ok if the childeren don't move to far!!!!

It is so good that I have never seen. Problems: NO