Olympus PEN E-P1

Announced Jun 16, 2009 •
12 megapixels | 3 screen | Four Thirds sensor
leszeff

I use this fantastic cam exclusively with the panasonic 20mm f1.7 lens. As a -have always with you cam- is outstanding and it grows on you as time goes by. I liked the GF1 from Panasonic but the fact it has not a built in stabilization made me opt for the Pen. I don't regret my choice. Problems: It takes time to master the menu system. Not as convenient as on the GF1

mr_landscape

-step forward in image quality over "large" sensors 1/1.8 and 1/1.6 in compact cameras -rock-solid buildup -very nice retro-look -720p videos with nice DOF (although not for serious film-making) -future of compact-cameras rely on 4/3 technology Problems: -slow and noisy auto-focus -i prefer Panasonic GF1 over this camera

Cottrell

I bought this as a bundle deal for a good price. I like it's true to history no flash and great build quality and metal finish. It has a real camera look and feel to it where there is a feeling if the back popped open you would see a role of 35. The AF was very slow out of the box but once i upgraded the firmware to 1.4 it was fast enough not to even notice. JPG are awesome and a real surprise for a small camera. I just love the look and feel and how pure the design process has been. It is ...

ahaack

With the firmware update 1.4 Olympus manged the miracle to implement the fastest state of the are contrast based focus and put th camera back to the top of it's class. Find the complete review with samples on: ahaack.net/photography/e-p1/ With the upcoming of the PEN class cameras I was looking to improve : 1) Handling with more manual controls then compact cameras 2) Improved ISO performance (lower pixel density) 3) Being able to thought out background accentuate the subject (large sensor) ...

Titch_R

Normally, I am a Canon Man, and my preferred kit is my EOS-400D C/W 17-85mm IS lens, backed up with a Canon G10 compact whose lens' focal length just happens to exactly match that of my DSLR - perfect! Well, not quite. The only cloud on the horizon is the rather small and somewhat noisy sensor of the G10, restricting my available sensitivities to ISO 200 or less. With the arrival of the G11 with a lower pixel density and improved noise performance I was all set to upgrade when Olympus threw ...

yoongwong

A GOD send camera, very easy to use and most of the time I put it on auto mode and the result is wonderful! I took over 3000 photos in the last 4 months both indoor and outdoor, wedding, holiday etc and the I would rate photo quality result as 60% good, 10% excellent and 15% out of focus and 15% bad in low light too dark...and Love the art filter and its allow to create many nice image with very little effort. EP1 is so easy to use its actually outperform and better in low light condition as ...

Alex Widjaja

This camera is one of the best features. The art filter and scn features are great even for use at night, unbelieable.

Stevens L

Excellent camera ith twin kit. Build is excellent as is overall quality and with a free flash. Best Olympus yet and with lots of features and so portable. Problems: none

goedhumeur

This is a wunderful camera and some faults are corrected in it`s successor. Handling is nice and easy and there isn`t mutch to complain about it. I carry this camera with me alll the time and for me it is the perfect small pocketcamera with good image guality. Problems: I would like to see more serious glass. The 17 mm is rather dissapointing. Olympus you`re known for good lenses. It would be nice if you would bring some new pancakes with better optical quality even if they`ll cost a bit more.

Edmis

I like the idea of being micro, silent, with DSLR image quality and built in stabilization. I would buy this camera, if only olympus would adress the serious problems in the nearest future. Problems: Very slow unreliable focus! Small resolution screen. The great screen is a must for cameras without viewfinder. Art filters are useless for those who shoot in raw. They could be apropriate for some point and shoot camera, for beginners.