Nikon D5300 adds pixels, Wi-Fi, and GPS while leaving AA filter behind
Oct 17, 2013 at 04:00:00 GMT
Nikon has announced its new D5300 midrange DSLR which, as you might have gathered, is the follow-up to the D5200. New features include the omission of an AA filter from its 24MP CMOS sensor, a larger 3.2in articulated LCD and also a slightly larger optical viewfinder, 1080/60p video, and built-in Wi-Fi and GPS. Nikon claims that the D5300's Expeed 4 processor improves performance (allowing for 5 fps burst shooting) and photo quality, while reducing power consumption. You'll be able to pick up the D5300 this month, in your choice of black, red, or gray for $1399.99 / £828.98 with the new 18-140 F3.5-5.6G lens.
For more information, check out our first impressions review of the Nikon D5300.
CAPTURE, CREATE, CONNECT: THE NIKON D5300 D-SLR LETS PHOTOGRAPHERS DO IT ALL WITH CONFIDENCE
Compact yet Capable, Nikon’s Newest D-SLR Provides Photographers with an Easy Entry into D-SLR Performance with Amazing Image Quality and Built-In Connectivity
MELVILLE, NY (October 17, 2013) – Today, Nikon Inc. announced the latest addition to its legendary digital SLR lineup, the Nikon D5300. Offering the benefits of SLR performance with the versatility of wireless connectivity, the D5300 allows users to easily capture and share amazing images and videos. Though compact and lightweight, the Nikon D5300 packs an enhanced 24.2-megapixel DX-format CMOS sensor, EXPEED 4 image processing and the convenience of built-in Wi-Fi1. Users now have the power to take both frame-worthy and share-worthy photos and HD videos with one device no matter where they are.
“With the Nikon D5300, we are continuing our commitment to delivering unparalleled performance and image quality while addressing the importance of staying connected and sharing images with ease,” said Masahiro Horie, Director of Marketing and Planning, Nikon Inc. “By answering the need to share high quality photos, the Nikon D5300 allows photographers to capture their memories in astounding clarity and share them with family and friends moments after they happen.”
Advanced Performance for When it Matters Most
Making memorable moments even better, the Nikon D5300 offers stunning image quality with sharp, crisp detail to preserve life’s precious memories. The enhanced 24.2-megapixel CMOS sensor delivers stunning images and HD videos with heightened clarity and detail due to the removal of the optical low pass filter (OLPF). From planned family portraits to candid moments, the D5300 has the performance, along with easy and intuitive features, to help users capture photos confidently, including:
- Amazing Low Light Performance – For clean, sharp details even in the most challenging lighting conditions including night games and dimly lit restaurants, the Nikon D5300 covers a wide ISO range of 100-12,800 and is expandable to ISO 25,600.
- EXPEED 4 Image Processing – Nikon’s most recent image processing engine drives the rapid response and swift performance of the D5300, while maximizing energy efficiency, reducing image noise and delivering true-to-life colors.
- Scene Recognition System – To further help users capture the image they intend, the Nikon D5300 features Nikon’s Scene Recognition System and 2,016-pixel RGB metering system to analyze and recognize the scene. Utilizing these systems results in adjustments to exposure, AF and white balance to deliver the best photo possible, whether it’s a landscape or portrait.
- 39-Point AF System – Nikon’s quick and precise 39-point AF system works with the Scene Recognition System to accurately acquire and track subjects throughout the frame, resulting in tack-sharp images. Kids too active to pose for a photo or pets chasing after a toy are easily captured in brilliant sharpness for memorable photos.
- 5 Frames-Per-Second – While using the optical viewfinder or in Live View, capture great moments that would have otherwise been missed with the D5300’s 5 frames-per-second (fps) rate.
Share Like Never Before
The D5300 is Nikon’s first D-SLR to feature built-in Wi-Fi, allowing the user to share high quality photos instantly. The Nikon D5300 sends images to the user’s smart device, allowing them to share their D-SLR quality photos through e-mail and social media. From a winning touchdown to a surprise proposal, friends and family can now see these important moments clearly captured right after they happen. The Nikon D5300 also includes built-in GPS, another first for Nikon D-SLRs. Now the user can geotag images and allow others to see where life has taken them.
Features for Creativity and Versatility
Compact and lightweight (16.9 oz.), the Nikon D5300 can easily be packed for a day trip or a planned getaway. The small body of the D5300 affords the photographer the freedom to travel while still being easy to handle and comfortable to use. In addition to being able to capture amazing images anywhere, the D5300 is also packed with additional features to promote creativity and versatility, including:
- 3.2-inch Vari-Angle LCD monitor – Whether shooting above a crowd or getting low to capture the details of a flower, users can explore new shots from a dramatic point of view with the large 3.2-inch Vari-angle LCD monitor. This super sharp (1,037K-dot) screen allows photographers to easily make camera adjustments and read menus, while also allowing them to compose the photo they want clearly when shooting from high or low angles. The rotating LCD makes it easy to capture “selfies” at an arm’s length away or frame creative perspectives when capturing still photos and HD video.
- Full HD 1080p Video Capture – Create movies fit for the big screen with Full HD 1080p video capture at 60p with built-in stereo, wide ISO range for high quality videos in any light and improved full-time AF to keep the subject in focus.
- NIKKOR Compatibility – The Nikon D5300 is compatible with Nikon’s legendary NIKKOR lenses and powerful system accessories, further adding versatility and creativity.
Price and Availability
The Nikon D5300 kit with the AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-140mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens will be available in October 2013 for the suggested retail price (SRP) of $1,399.95*. To complement consumers’ preferences, the Nikon D5300 will be available in Black, Red and Gray. For more information on the new Nikon D5300 and other Nikon products, please visit www.nikonusa.com.
|MSRP||$799.95 / £729.99 (body only), $1399.99 (w/ 18-140mm F3.5-5.6 lens) / £829.99 (w/ 18-55mm F3.5-5.6)|
|Body type||Compact SLR|
|Max resolution||6000 x 4000|
|Other resolutions||4496 x 3000, 2992 x 2000|
|Image ratio w:h||3:2|
|Effective pixels||24 megapixels|
|Sensor photo detectors||25 megapixels|
|Sensor size||APS-C (23.5 x 15.6 mm)|
|Color space||sRGB, Adobe RGB|
|Color filter array||Primary color filter|
|ISO||Auto, 100 - 12800 (25600 with boost)|
|White balance presets||12|
|Custom white balance||Yes (1)|
|JPEG quality levels||Fine, Normal, Basic|
|Optics & Focus|
|Autofocus assist lamp||Yes|
|Number of focus points||39|
|Lens mount||Nikon F mount|
|Focal length multiplier||1.5×|
|Screen / viewfinder|
|Articulated LCD||Fully articulated|
|Screen type||TFT LCD monitor|
|Live view||Yes (With contrast-detect AF, face detection and subject tracking)|
|Viewfinder type||Optical (pentamirror)|
|Minimum shutter speed||30 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/4000 sec|
|Built-in flash||Yes (Pop-up)|
|Flash range||12.00 m (at ISO 100)|
|External flash||Yes (Hot-shoe)|
|Flash modes||Auto, On, Off, Red-eye, Slow sync, Rear curtain|
|Flash X sync speed||1/200 sec|
|Continuous drive||Yes (3, 5 fps)|
|Self-timer||Yes (2, 5, 10 or 20 sec)|
|Exposure compensation||±5 (at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±2 (3 frames at 1/3 EV, 1/2 EV steps)|
|WB Bracketing||Yes (3 frames in either blue/amber or magenta/green axis)|
|Resolutions||1920 x 1080 (60, 50, 30, 25, 24 fps), 1280 x 720 (60, 50 fps), 640 x 424 (30, 25 fps)|
|USB||USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)|
|HDMI||Yes (Mini Type C)|
|Remote control||Yes (Optional ML-L3 or WR-R10)|
|Battery description||Lithium-Ion EN-EL14a or EN-EL14 rechargeable battery & charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||600|
|Weight (inc. batteries)||480 g (1.06 lb / 16.93 oz)|
|Dimensions||125 x 98 x 76 mm (4.92 x 3.86 x 2.99″)|