Previous news story    Next news story

Best Camera of 2012: And the Winner is...

By dpreview staff on Jan 1, 2013 at 01:10 GMT

Just before Christmas we invited you, our readers to tell us what you thought was the best camera of 2012. This year was one of the busiest that any of us can remember, and saw serious new products from all the major manufacturers. This was the year of the groundbreaking 36MP Nikon D800, the incredibly ambitious Olympus OM-D as well as an all-new system cameras from Fujifilm, with the innovative X-Pro 1 and X-E1. Sony had an amazingly busy year as well, bringing us the great value SLT A-57 and the feature-packed SLT-A99, along with a host of NEX upgrades. Canon wasn't idle either, and consolidated its enthusiast-oriented DSLRs with the long-awaited EOS 5D Mark III and, at the end of the year, the EOS 6D. Meanwhile, Pentax revamped its popular K-5 with the new K-5 II and K-5 IIs and introduced its first large-sensor mirrorless interchangeable lens camera, the K-01 which was... interesting.

Our shortlist didn't contain the K-01, but we've gone over the figures, made a list and counted it twice, read most of the comments (and thanks to the majority of you who kept them constructive) and now we're ready to give you the results! So without further ado, with almost 15,000 votes and almost 1500 comments, here are the top three cameras of 2012, as voted by you, dpreview readers. 

In third place... Canon EOS 5D Mark III 

Canon's EOS 5D and 5D Mark II were hugely successful cameras, making the 5D Mark III one of the most anticipated new releases of the year. The 5D Mark III has a 22MP full frame sensor in a body that's based on the EOS 7D design, and with a 61-point AF system borrowed from the flagship EOS-1D X. Compared to its predecessor the Mark III is essentially a completely new model, with every major system upgraded and updated. 

When we reviewed the 5D Mark III back in March we praised its excellent Raw image quality, reliable metering and fluid ergonomics. Thanks to its greatly improved AF system and a few well thought-out tweaks to the rest of the feature set the 5D Mark III is in many ways the camera we wanted the 5D Mark II to be, and it was easily one of the top cameras of 2012. 

In second place... Nikon D800 / D800E

Purely from the point of view of specification, Nikon's D800 and its sister model the D800E drew a lot of attention in 2012. Successor to the venerable D700, the D800 tripled that camera's pixel count and included several features borrowed from the professional D4, at around half the price. The D800E variant offers improved resolution for $300 more, thanks to an innovative sensor design that has the effects of its anti-aliasing filter cancelled out. Both cameras offer a very compelling video specification, too. 

We were highly impressed by the D800 and D800E when we tested them in June, both by the performance of their 36MP sensors, and also their handling, which on the whole, improves upon previous models in some meaningful ways. Of all the cameras we tested during 2012 we kept going back to the D800 because of its addictive blend of excellent performance, solid image quality and pleasant ergonomics. This is one camera whose specification is unlikely to look out of date anytime soon. 

And in first place... The Olympus OM-D EM-5

Pipping the Nikon D800/E by one percentage point in the overall count, the Olympus OM-D EM-5 won out in this year's poll by a whisker. Although a very different camera to the D800, the OM-5 EM-5 is a seriously impressive product. With the launch of the E-M5, Olympus harks back to one of its most fondly-remembered camera systems - the Olympus OM range of 35mm SLRs. Initially the E-M5 looked like it might simply be an upgraded E-P3 with a built-in viewfinder, but in use it proved much more than that - probably the most competent enthusiast mirrorless camera so far.

When we reviewed the OM-D in April we commented on its excellent image quality which at that point set a benchmark for Micro Four Thirds cameras. As we'd expect from Olympus it's also an incredible customizable camera, and with the huge range of compatible Micro Four Thirds lenses available it's also one of the most versatile. About the only thing the OM-D can't do well is continuous autofocus, but if you can live with this limitation, it stands as one of the best cameras currently on the market, and a worthy winner of our poll.


Thanks so much for voting, for reading, and for commenting.

Barnaby Britton - reviews editor. 

Comments

Total comments: 1412
12345
Husaberg Grok
By Husaberg Grok (Jan 5, 2013)

This should boost Olympus sales.

5 upvotes
ThePhilips
By ThePhilips (Jan 7, 2013)

@Grok: nice thing is that the poll has forced many who were dismissing the m43 before, to go and read the E-M5 review. Tech is moving forward and occasionally people need to be shaken from the slumber. E-M5 is what many have expected from m43 from the beginning - and Oly has finally though belatedly delivered.

@Just Posted: shortages and persisting high price - for more than 6 months now - in EU and NA suggest otherwise.

0 upvotes
gadnias
By gadnias (Jan 5, 2013)

Its just a poll. Why someone posted 5 comments in a row for just a poll?

1 upvote
gadnias
By gadnias (Jan 5, 2013)

Sure, i only a passive member since 2008, i know DPR from long time ago.. and only own a $120 samsung camera where it has front screen..cool feature to self shoot.. I dont own any dslr yet, still dream about it..
Btw what make my fellow join on Jan 2013? I think you should join earlier for next year.. better get some sleep now..

3 upvotes
monodrift
By monodrift (Jan 5, 2013)

The people bickering in this poll desperately need to go outside and take some damn pictures. I am legitimately embarrassed to share the same hobby as some posters here.

4 upvotes
illy
By illy (Jan 5, 2013)

i want to take pictures of people bickering, it kills two birds with one stone then.

0 upvotes
Rainer2022
By Rainer2022 (Jan 5, 2013)

The Nikon D800 is a very fine cam. (Also the 5DMkIII, in spite of the sensor being not top of the world.)

But it's amazing what Olympus put into that tiny OM-D E-M5.

Well done, Olympus!

... says a Canon owner

7 upvotes
G L
By G L (Jan 5, 2013)

I just read the question that Dpreview asked again:
".....we want to know which cameras stood out for you."
The answer was EM-5 from more reader than for any other camera.
It is that simple.

6 upvotes
Rainer2022
By Rainer2022 (Jan 5, 2013)

I agree. Blame the people who voted for Olympus ;-)

1 upvote
Mike_PEAT
By Mike_PEAT (Jan 5, 2013)

People here have been asking how there can be a competition where cameras of different formats are competing against each other. Last night I saw (heard) a car commercial from Hyundai which put this into words (I'm paraphrasing from what I remember hearing having seen it only once and I wasn't paying attention until it was too late):

-Imagine an Olympics where all the sports were competing for one gold medal. The Hyundai (model?) just won such a competition in North America's Car of the year.-

The North American Car of the Year is chosen from all types of cars, 2 door, 4 door, wagons, hatchbacks, sports cars, etc. everything except SUVs, vans, and trucks, but in order to be eligible though "a vehicle must be all new or substantially changed." - from:
http://www.northamericancaroftheyear.org/

2 upvotes
Davidgilmour
By Davidgilmour (Jan 5, 2013)

The Fujifilm X-E1 beats the Olympus easily. Best IQ in a compact camera ever.

3 upvotes
Rockchan
By Rockchan (Jan 5, 2013)

It got too few lenses. The IQ is limited when we have problem taking a photo (because we don't have suitable lens).

Moreover, it is not a poll for "Best IQ in a compact camera". It is the "Best camera", which means this involve something more than IQ. For example,

1) whether we got the suitable lenses for our need
2) autofocus
3) anti-shake
4) weather sealing

X-E1 may have better IQ but it lacks many other features.

3 upvotes
IrishhAndy
By IrishhAndy (Jan 5, 2013)

In my experience it was soft with colour smearing and colour noise.. The colours are unrealistic and oversaturated. It is also cheaplt built, poor in low light and has the speed of a snail.

1 upvote
witne2s
By witne2s (Jan 5, 2013)

not today

0 upvotes
c76
By c76 (Jan 5, 2013)

You know what? no matter how's everyone's good or bad comments, now Oly/M3/4 became a real topic, we didn't see these in past until now, seems like they do have some market shares, some people just jump the ship. lol

7 upvotes
soaked-in-color
By soaked-in-color (Jan 5, 2013)

I have simple curiosity. Please pardon my ignorance. If we trust DPREVIEW (lets keep the user poll, brand loyalty, fan club etc. aside for a moment) then I wonder whether we have faith in their review method.

Dynamic range:
Isn't the wider range in the Gray Bar says better DR? I chose Pentax K-5, Nikon D800 and Canon 5D Mark-III for comparison. I chose OM-D for Gradation Auto, K-5 Highlight DR On, D800 ADL auto and 5D HTP on.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5/18

Which one is better? Sorry I am not so familiar with this tool. Just curious to compare these products following the DPREVIEW lab test after seeing this interesting forum.

Also I compared the RAW image resolution with these three cameras on the test page:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/olympusem5/21

I could not see any significant difference till ISO 1600. As a matter of fact OM-D looks better to me in some cases. Are these cameras technically so close to each other that not worth fighting with each other?

4 upvotes
Martin.au
By Martin.au (Jan 5, 2013)

Pretty much.

I've seen a few blind tests between the OMD and various FF cameras on these forums Most people will not be able to identify which camera is which from crops of the photos.

A FF camera will be able to take better photos in a wider range of conditions simply because it's sensor has 4x the area of the 4/3 cameras, which can be splurged on larger photosites or more of them. However for the vast majority of photos taken these days, it really doesn't matter.

It's like the argument for medium format cameras - Yes they take better photos, however most people were happy with 35mm.

Now it's FF vs 4/3. Yes, FF technically take better photos, however, most people would be happy with 4/3 (and as mentioned, most people will have trouble telling the difference).

IMO, it's now at the stage where the camera is irrelevant and it's the photographer's skill that makes a good photo, as opposed to a few years back where good photos could well be ruined by simply not having a good camera.

10 upvotes
lpv
By lpv (Jan 5, 2013)

sorry, comment put under wrong post

Comment edited 2 minutes after posting
0 upvotes
lpv
By lpv (Jan 5, 2013)

you definitely gave us wrong links:) that's one thing... the other is - check real world samples and see whether you like it or not as graphs does not represents what you can achive with camera.
olympus om-d: http://www.flickr.com/groups/om-d_user/pool/
nikon d800: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1567431@N22/pool/
canon 5d mark III: http://www.flickr.com/groups/canon-eos-5d-markiii/pool/
personally I don't like any of them :)

0 upvotes
naththo
By naththo (Jan 5, 2013)

Obviously more new maxeyesore users everywhere. You are abusing the forum system. Your post you have created are totally unrelevant. I hope you enjoy the lifetime of banned from forum. Go away maxeyesore! Your information are totally unreliable and inaccurate. I know what is correct and what is wrong. Your fact is totally wrong and you are abusing everyone by bashing other brand than pentax you have. You are only a pentax user after all. Quit bashing please! If Pentax company finds you are bashing all other you are getting into a lot big trouble. They the Pentax Company might start sue you. If you attack other brand it makes Pentax Company looks bad and guilty. Its your fault on your side! I would love to see Pentax Company start reading this what you did and they will take this incident very seriously. I am sick of this forum if you keep continue to keep coming back to abuse me and everyone else. I would go somewhere else if you this moderator don't get rid of him maxeyesore at once!

3 upvotes
lpv
By lpv (Jan 5, 2013)

naththo wrote: " I know what is correct and what is wrong" seems we've got winner here :) or at least strong contender for the best quotes of 2013.
let's go back to contructive conversation please.

1 upvote
naththo
By naththo (Jan 5, 2013)

My main valid reason is you lpv are part of maxeyesore and is an obsession to Pentax brand name only. You abuse every other brand name but never abuse on Pentax. You are embarassing Pentax company. I don't hate Pentax. The only thing I hate about is people who is on their side with company attack other company making the side of company look guilty and embarassed. You have embarrased Pentax and made them guilty because they looked at you attacking at others than Pentax. Seriously that does not look good to me. You are the only person caused big problem to Pentax company. Other company will laugh at you so hard and laugh at Pentax if you attack other than Pentax. They will think you are a fool and stupid. How do you feel by that? Are you proud to be stupid and dumb? I don't think so why not make some change and apologise to everyone, including me, and including apologise to every company and apologise to Pentax also for embarassing them. Geeze! *Rolls eyes*

0 upvotes
lpv
By lpv (Jan 5, 2013)

nikon film user mate... seems like you've been thinkin bout somebody else

1 upvote
lpv
By lpv (Jan 5, 2013)

for the record. if any user of this website got something private to say to another user, feel free to use private message function instead of deliberately flood comments with such a comments.
thank you naththo for your cooperation:)

Comment edited 20 seconds after posting
1 upvote
naththo
By naththo (Jan 5, 2013)

Blast it! I ain't blinking talk about anymore. I ain't blinking listen to ignorant person who think he knows everything that he doesn't know everything. Everytime someone point to certain fact. He ignores it. Good grief. I am outta of it for now. Good day to you the most ignorant person I have ever met in the dpreview. By the way I am appreciated someone point me out to olympus that they have many lens available for mirrorless Olympus (which I didn't know) which is amazing that beats Sony mirrorless camera with much less available. And some Sony mirrorless camera need to end up with adapter to go for more lens. Thats how it is. But it will have more lens over time I am sure it will. Olympus been out with that for long while so was Panasonic. I am a Nex 7 user. Formally was Canon user. But I have patience for more lens available to come out later.

0 upvotes
soaked-in-color
By soaked-in-color (Jan 5, 2013)

I posted this before. But with the same context I am doing that again, even if we forget Lab test and take consideration of real life example - which camera maker is so confident to invite Professionals to bring their own camera (even FF) to compete this little one in a major industry show? That too long ago (in May) before this poll result.

http://www.cnet.com.au/olympus-om-d-versus-a-full-frame-camera-339338741.htm

I Googled "OM-D vs. Full Frame" - you will all see a huge number of tests in the Internet. Why so many review sites are so interested to compare an MFT with FF?

1 upvote
Just Posted
By Just Posted (Jan 5, 2013)

If it was a blind test, how could they tell?

Take the blinders off, its easy to tell.

0 upvotes
Pal2012
By Pal2012 (Jan 5, 2013)

Any word on if oly will provide new firmware yet?

0 upvotes
IrishhAndy
By IrishhAndy (Jan 5, 2013)

Thinking of buying one? You seem to know a lot about it.

0 upvotes
Mike_PEAT
By Mike_PEAT (Jan 5, 2013)

Should realy ask this type of question in the M4/3 forum itself, but if you're talking about when 1.2 was temporarily halted, it's now up to 1.5 (you have to run te updated TWICE, once gets you to 1.3, and the second time ets you to 1.5...see the following link (if you have further tech questions ask in the forum itself):
http://www.olympus.co.jp/en/support/imsg/digicamera/download/software/firm/e1/#omd

0 upvotes
lpv
By lpv (Jan 5, 2013)

back to the post: Olympus OM-D - nail sized sensor; electronic viewfinder inferior to OLED displays in Sony's NEX-7 and SLTs which are inferior to real viewfinders anyway;
not enough highlight range leaving you with washed out highlights with no details

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89996031@N04/8179994177/in/photostream

not enough highlight range to handle "digital ring" around the sun and that can be easily seen in second picture made with this Olympus

http://www.flickr.com/photos/89996031@N04/8179996303/in/photostream

overall: good camera for taking snaps of your feet, markers, muesli, cereal etc :)

1 upvote
Macx
By Macx (Jan 5, 2013)

You're entitled to your opinion. As is the small plurality of voters who preferred the OM-D to cameras with bigger sensors and optical viewfinders.

2 upvotes
naththo
By naththo (Jan 5, 2013)

Macx, I agreed to that, very true!

0 upvotes
Martin.au
By Martin.au (Jan 5, 2013)

Ahh, I see, so if you give any random person a "real camera" like a D800, you will never get shots with blown highlights, or other such issues. By this logic, photographic skill is all about the tool, and nothing about the photographer.

Get a clue.

6 upvotes
ManuelVilardeMacedo
By ManuelVilardeMacedo (Jan 5, 2013)

I shouldn't probably even bother to reply such dismissive comment ("nail sized sensor"? Really? Only if you have huge thumbs!), but the only thing the picture on Flickr proves is that the person who took it doesn't know how to handle highlights in post-production.
It's possible, however, that he decided to preserve the highlights because they matched his photographic intention. Sometimes this creates great effects, though some other times it's just information lost under a white area.
I'm aware, however, that "photographic intention" must be something completely out of the commenter's grasp...

Comment edited 3 minutes after posting
0 upvotes
naththo
By naththo (Jan 5, 2013)

Okay...I can smell maxeyesore is back! There are few new account flooding in. Good gracious! Go get a grip you silly maxeyesore who cannot cope with getting banned from forum and be lonely. Take it elsewhere in other forum as you are pleased to. Not in here thanks. And please leave us alone. No more lied too! *Glare in unhappy face*

Back to topic! Its interesting that Olympus is topped in #1. I can agreed with some and some not. How about how many lens are available for that camera? Its a lot fewer than Nikon D800 and Canon 5D MK III can get unlimited lens of EF and Nikon AF lens. It will take a good years for olympus lens to get more common in smaller body of mirrorless. Same story goes for Sony Nex though! But I do like Olympus quality of it and sharpness picture still. Its very tempting. Good work olympus for catching up!

0 upvotes
Everdog
By Everdog (Jan 5, 2013)

Correction, the E-M5 has thousands MORE lenses available than Nikon and Canon...and they all use the revolutionary 5-axis IBIS. This is one of the reasons why people voted for the E-M5.

3 upvotes
naththo
By naththo (Jan 5, 2013)

Oh. Sorry Everdog I see. Now thats interesting! Bummer! Can't edit my post above. :S I was going to fix it for the numbers of lens.

Comment edited 3 minutes after posting
1 upvote
Everdog
By Everdog (Jan 5, 2013)

hmmm, let's examine lpv's pattern. He posts inaccurate information which we quickly prove wrong, then attacts other posters, name calls, and creates a new account.
Be honest for once and tell us who you really are. :)
Your gallery speaks volumes.
Back to the topic. The great sensor, the fact you can use any lens and the revolutionary IBIS really helped the E-M5.

Comment edited 4 times, last edit 10 minutes after posting
1 upvote
Pal2012
By Pal2012 (Jan 4, 2013)

OK, everyone thats rap, time for dinner.

Good night, Bob, Harry, Dog, the shape shifter and the "other" guy.

0 upvotes
BobORama
By BobORama (Jan 4, 2013)

Hey, DPR, sure Pentax made a modern day Edsel with the K-01. But the Edsel itself was revolutionary, and more importantly, a really cool car.

But.... For $300-400, including a fairly decent 40mm pancake lens, its a great - almost disposable - body for an existing Pentax shooter.. And it comes in bright yellow. As opposed to the "winners" who are all dressed for a funeral.

This is the "best" camera of 2012, which is to say the most popular, like McDonald's, need not be terribly innovative, but rather "safe" and evolutionary rather than revolutionary.

Comment edited 31 seconds after posting
2 upvotes
Pal2012
By Pal2012 (Jan 4, 2013)

Ok Bob, I think you just killed about everyone in here with that one. Going out for a can of Krylon multispectral Red!

1 upvote
Everdog
By Everdog (Jan 4, 2013)

OMD comes in silver and looks a cooler than a yellow camera. Only a yellow car looks worse than a yellow camera. :)
Now CandyApple Red, that is a different story.

Comment edited 2 times, last edit 5 minutes after posting
1 upvote
Everdog
By Everdog (Jan 4, 2013)

Since people brought it up, a group of us did confirm that f-stops are the same on the various formats. F/2 would be the virtually same on all formats.

You can also quick prove that 4/3rds will have LESS percieved DoF at the same f-stop, same focal length and same distance. As mentioned below, it is distance that will change the percieved DoF. Only when make everyhing un-equal, increasing distance and tyring to get a similar FoV (despite difference AR) will you see 4/3rds have a larger DoF.

3 upvotes
Pal2012
By Pal2012 (Jan 4, 2013)

"A group of us"

That just settles it then doesn't it. LOL

3 upvotes
Everdog
By Everdog (Jan 4, 2013)

LOL, you need a photography class if you disagre with what I said. Give it a try and then apologize :)
btw, DPR reported the same thing (search) as have virtually every top camera review site.

Comment edited 3 minutes after posting
2 upvotes
Pal2012
By Pal2012 (Jan 4, 2013)

OK, I apologize, you are right I should have qualified that with "effect" the effect is more only because we are talking larger photsites gathering more, it is the same amount of light for a given size sensor, however the effect is what we are after.

Which is why in astrophotography a 34 dosn't fly.
Here yah go:
http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/cropfactor/index.html

http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/digital.sensor.performance.summary/#model

Comment edited 2 minutes after posting
2 upvotes
PerL
By PerL (Jan 5, 2013)

"You can also quick prove that 4/3rds will have LESS percieved DoF at the same f-stop, same focal length and same distance."
But the same focal length gives a complete different FOV on different formats. You dont use a 45 mm to shot a portrait with FF. So in practical use that reasoning is nonsense. But I think we all (almost all) know that.

1 upvote
Josh152
By Josh152 (Jan 5, 2013)

I always thought that because at the same focal length you have to stand further away from your subject to get the same field of view is the reason cameras with smaller sensors seem to have more DOF. So if you forget about getting the same frame and stand the same distance away the DOF will be the same given the same aperture is used.

Comment edited 2 minutes after posting
1 upvote
IrishhAndy
By IrishhAndy (Jan 4, 2013)

In some cultures a person is judged by the quality of their enemies. No one likes us we don't care.

1 upvote
ThomasPhelps
By ThomasPhelps (Jan 4, 2013)

Hard to believe that so many take this type of thing so personal. Unbelievable!

0 upvotes
IrishhAndy
By IrishhAndy (Jan 4, 2013)

If the path does not have a heart then the path is no good.

0 upvotes
Pal2012
By Pal2012 (Jan 5, 2013)

In days of old, when knights were bold and toilets wern't invented, they would lay their load, in the road and walk away contented.

3 upvotes
Just Having Fun
By Just Having Fun (Jan 4, 2013)

The REAL reason the E-M5 deserves the win. (Let's try to be serious and honest for a minute)

IMHO, lenses matter more than the camera body. So now think of the best lenses available for any camera...guess what, not only will that lens work on the E-M5, but it works perfectly with 5-axis IBIS which is better than virtually any other IS available.

Mirrorless has been doing this for years, but now that the E-M5 has added the revolutionary IS, it is significant. I personally have shot sharp images with an E-M5 handheld and with 1 sec exposure times.

So, the BEST lenses work on this camera (more than any other) and ALL now have IS....even during video.

7 upvotes
DigitalVista
By DigitalVista (Jan 4, 2013)

Sorry but even a 1.4 fast prime doesn't = 1.8 on a APS sensor, so you can pay more for fast lenses and enjoy less performance. That was the point made below.

You call that a win?

Comment edited 55 seconds after posting
5 upvotes
Just Having Fun
By Just Having Fun (Jan 4, 2013)

You are 100% and also hiding behind a new ID you just created.

F/1.4 is the SAME on all formats. Give it a try.
F/1.4 ISO400 and 1/60th would be the same on FF, P&S, APS and 4/3.
Pretty simple stuff.
btw, please don't try the "DoF" argument. DoF relies mostly on DISTANCE as well as other factors.

8 upvotes
Pal2012
By Pal2012 (Jan 4, 2013)

I think you two should be seperated.

@Just

"Lets try to be ..honest"

You have lost all credability from all your other post so you can try but I think everyone can see thru that now. You should have stopped when you were ahead.

Comment edited 42 seconds after posting
2 upvotes
IrishhAndy
By IrishhAndy (Jan 4, 2013)

I have handheld to 2 seconds with usable results.

1 upvote
Everdog
By Everdog (Jan 4, 2013)

I also have shot handhelp at 2 secs with some great Canon FD lenses that no longer work on the latest Canon bodies. :)

2 upvotes
Pal2012
By Pal2012 (Jan 4, 2013)

2sec is Very good!

All my shots here at DPR that were shot at 400 (600mm eqv) were hand held and they are sharp. Vintage car race shot at 120mm in C-AF all handheld.

This Moon crop handheld:
http://www.dpreview.com/galleries/9771667236/photos/2151463/dsc09749croped

Comment edited 4 times, last edit 5 minutes after posting
0 upvotes
Pal2012
By Pal2012 (Jan 4, 2013)

No, he is right its not the same!

1 upvote
DigitalVista
By DigitalVista (Jan 4, 2013)

Reading some of our post on here Just shows how gullible we can be to good marketing.

I wish the OMD EM-5 weather sealing translated over to lenses, with only just a few sealed it is pretty much a moot feature, not that I shoot that much in pouring rain.

I wish a fast 1.4 prime on a 43 sensor actually translated to the same light gathering equivalent of the larger diodes of a APS-C or FF sensor, it doesn’t and it unfortunately it cant.

Same thing applies to the marketing hype of the 5-axis IBIS which may hold the camera still, but that doesn’t make the world stop and freeze around you, and I really don’t see significant improvement in pictures taken with the em-5 over normal 3-axis IS systems, but I know it must be there somewhere.

4 upvotes
DigitalVista
By DigitalVista (Jan 4, 2013)

How long will it take for Oly to come out with firmware to correct the lagging dial issues? They just can’t keep up when you are trying to adjust for fast action, will they ever can they fix this? Hopefully the firm-ware will improve on the menu system, seem all the good stuff is buried and scattered about.

Since it doesn’t fit in your pocket is it just like a DSLR to carry around?

4 upvotes
Just Having Fun
By Just Having Fun (Jan 4, 2013)

As others have said. F/1.4 is the same on a P&S and a FF camera.
Now name a camera that has IS and F/1.4 lenses....the E-M5, Sony alphas, Pentax, 4/3rds.

hey Digital Vista! Who are you really?? Tell the truth. You just created your ID, LOL!

Comment edited 2 times, last edit 3 minutes after posting
8 upvotes
DigitalVista
By DigitalVista (Jan 4, 2013)

Slow your ignorrance.

No,that is wrong its a basic concept and if you don't understand it I cant help you.

3 upvotes
Pal2012
By Pal2012 (Jan 4, 2013)

"Since it doesn’t fit in your pocket is it just like a DSLR to carry around?" LOL!

2 upvotes
Everdog
By Everdog (Jan 4, 2013)

DigitalVista speaking of gullible, you just created another new ID. How many do you have?
You claim 5-axis is not a big deal?
Put a Canon 85mm lens on a NEX and then on an E-M5. Try to shoot at 1/20th shutter speed handheld without a tripod.
The NEX image will be worthless, while the E-M5 will be sharp.

This has been proven over and over and over. :)

2 upvotes
flipmac
By flipmac (Jan 4, 2013)

Want some cheese with your whine? Lighten up and stop complaining about…

* cheating - can't accuse one group with "ballot stuffing" without accusing all of them. It's not hard to do and there are many fanbois on all camps.

* this popularity contest means nothing - of course it does. The sample size if big enough, and the result is inline with other sites. You don't have to agree with it but there's no need to slam it.

* tired of reading about the E-M5 - a lot of reviewers and most of its owners praise it for being a surprisingly good and well rounded camera that can appeal to a lot of people. It is also somewhat of an underdog, making the users champion it even more. Why not give it a try instead of hating?

* m4/3 users are annoying - many m4/3 are still using or have used other formats and are wiling to share their positive experience compared to other formats. Also, how would you react when others call you "delusional" and your camera a "toy"?

Comment edited 2 minutes after posting
11 upvotes
lpv
By lpv (Jan 4, 2013)

well.. people won't call your camera a toy if it's not a toy.

3 upvotes
Just Having Fun
By Just Having Fun (Jan 4, 2013)

LPV, who are you really?
You just created you new "lpv" account yesterday and have flooded this comments section (yet not posted in any forums).
Why are you hiding?
PLEASE tell the truth.

Comment edited 4 minutes after posting
2 upvotes
DigitalVista
By DigitalVista (Jan 4, 2013)

Oh dont be such a sore "winner" * cough*

2 upvotes
lpv
By lpv (Jan 4, 2013)

will upload some photographs to give you an idea what I'm doing and how it looks like :)

1 upvote
Anepo
By Anepo (Jan 4, 2013)

As someone who used to own an E-PL2, Pentax K10D, K20D, Canon 20D, 350D, 450D & 1D mark II, I must say the E-M5 is everything I wanted in a camera, Small size & image quality and focus speed that rivals entry level DSLR's like the 650D.
The only downside I see to it is the price point of the camera and many lenses.

5 upvotes
DigitalVista
By DigitalVista (Jan 4, 2013)

Low light fast action focusing is one of my big beefs, its very poor, not that it is that great on any other 43 design or even some APS-C cameras but they need to really improve on that.

1 upvote
showmeyourpics
By showmeyourpics (Jan 4, 2013)

Hi fellow photographers, I would recommend some perspective here. This poll is a “people’s choice” award and just sheds some light on the response of this site’s readership to the included cameras. For the poll to have any statistical value, we should at least know what the composition of the voting population was and how the different segments voted. It is quite interesting though to learn what’s going on in the minds of your fellow readers. The results could be due to the fact that most of the poll participants were probably non-pros. Let’s admit it, if the best camera is the one you carry with you then for many enthusiasts the Olympus has no competition (the body with f/2.8 Pana short and long zooms and Leica 45mm macro in a small pouch anyone?). Do yourself a favor and take this as a fun piece of information that could help shaping your decisions for future camera purchases. Do us a favor and keep your comments civilized and respectful of others’ opinions and preferences.

Comment edited 4 times, last edit 6 minutes after posting
8 upvotes
IrishhAndy
By IrishhAndy (Jan 4, 2013)

I have never shot so many photographs since using the EM5 OMD. It is like an extension of my arm. I do not even bother to use with a bag as it is so tough and resilient.

I can easily pop extra lenses in my pockets but I usually just take one as anything more than one is confusing clutter.

3 upvotes
Anepo
By Anepo (Jan 4, 2013)

To be honest i think having a 20mm or a 25mm and the 45mm to be a good combo in your pocket and if you got a 12mm ist not bad either. I still havent purchased the 20mm nor 12mm but they are on my wishlst, all are TINY & you can easily switch on the go if you see a building you want to shoot.

1 upvote
ThomasSwitzerland
By ThomasSwitzerland (Jan 4, 2013)

Strange place now

The way on how a market minority – OM-D – is shouting this forum down with aggression is remarkable. Olympus had and has severe problems; they were very aggressive and destructive in business compliance.

It makes no sense to continue this behavior against Canon, Nikon, Pentax, and Fuji – the rest of all in the camera world. Come down to earth – you, the OM-D world – and start to learn from others and make it better by true technology and sovereignty.

0 upvotes
IrishhAndy
By IrishhAndy (Jan 4, 2013)

Wow a computer algo. You would almost think it was human.

1 upvote
illy
By illy (Jan 4, 2013)

i don't use a bag when taking pictures, they tend to come out all dark and blurry if i do............

2 upvotes
sfpeter
By sfpeter (Jan 4, 2013)

I think it was Thom Hogan who put it best, don't consider what you can do with a new camera, but what you can't do with your current camera.

None of these really fit the bill; I'm primarily a Nikon user, but the D800 is more like the D800x (high resolution) than a standard full frame. The Canon is only out because I have all my money in Nikon lenses, if I had the money and lenses I'd go for one.

The Olympus--well, if people on a forum decided to vote their favorite camera up in a contest that will be forgotten in a few days, the more the merrier. Am I intrigued by the OMD? Yes, the same as the Fuji X series and the Sony SLT series. Am I $1,000 intrigued to go out and buy one? No. Too many gotchas--from the high FPS but a shallow buffer to the selection of lenses.

In the end, I'm still going with my ties for best camera, my combo D300s/D700 daily shooters.

0 upvotes
Anepo
By Anepo (Jan 4, 2013)

The E-M5 can do everything my old camera could NOT do. (example noise levels, images were not good at over 800 iso, they are fine way over 1600 iso now.

1 upvote
Tim in upstate NY
By Tim in upstate NY (Jan 4, 2013)

DPR - You should delete the posts in this coment section from anyone who has posted more than five times about this poll. After that, you'd be left with legitimate responses from normal adults who actually have something to say!

7 upvotes
acahaya
By acahaya (Jan 4, 2013)

Regarding all those posts complaining about a thread in the m43 forum where users were asked to vote: Anybody regularly reading the m43 forum can actually only laugh about the idea that every user there promptly gave his vote to the E-M5 after reading about the poll.
1. All those voting for the camera they own had other m43 choices like the GH3
2. There were so many users complaining about too many E-M5 posts in this forum that imo if they voted at all they probably voted for something else ;-)

Do you honestly think Panny and Oly zealots stopped hating each other for a week of united voting?

It is amazing that there is so much annoyance about a simple poll. Go out and take pictures, havie fun with your own camera, cuddle with your loved ones or read a good book. Or find a website that voted your favorite camera as cam of 2012.

6 upvotes
tombiondo
By tombiondo (Jan 4, 2013)

Ansel Adams used an 8x10 Deardorff for many of his photos, and Helmut Newton used an Olympus OM-1 with a 50mm lens for many of his. I shot the first digital ad for Anne Klein using a Kodak DCS 14n in 2003. These camera forums make entertaining reading (I started reading Popular Photography in 1959). I guess what I am trying to say is what you put in front of the lens is more important than what you put behind it. Gentlemen, choose your weapons!

Comment edited 29 seconds after posting
5 upvotes
Pal2012
By Pal2012 (Jan 4, 2013)

MY wife and I went out to the park to enjoy the day, I had a NEX5n and she has her little P&S Sony x20, all my hard work and "trying" to compose and she is just enjoying shooting here and there, later when we get back home and I'm looking at what we shot, her pictures just blew mine away and it certainly wasn't because of the camera.
Cheers!

Comment edited 2 times, last edit 2 minutes after posting
1 upvote
Anepo
By Anepo (Jan 4, 2013)

I went from a Canon DSLR to the E-m5 and I have NOT regretted it as the form factor/size makes me MORE enthusiastic to run around shooting instead of wearing a heavy backpack i can keep lenses in the pockets of my jacket.

It also delivers mind blowing quality compared to ANY other camera I have used (which is not saying to much due to which cameras they were but still my god it brilliant)

4 upvotes
Pal2012
By Pal2012 (Jan 4, 2013)

Thats exactly why I chose the Nex over some of the others, I can actually just put it in my pocket and its with me ALL the time. Now I just need pants to fit the Sigma 120-400mm.

0 upvotes
Andres EP
By Andres EP (Jan 25, 2013)

Great.
At last, someone lucid @tombiondo :)

Comment edited 34 seconds after posting
0 upvotes
Pal2012
By Pal2012 (Jan 4, 2013)

Dont mean to burst bubles or casue hurt feeling to those supporters who are innocent. Yeah its just a poll but the fact that these same characters continue to lie about it doesn't cover up the trail they left behind, and I think it has unfortunatly left a bad mark on the 43 community as a whole. Nikon was in the lead and it would have won if not for the recuting of other sites to help it win - period.

Its just a poll people, it doesn't make any camera better than it is and it certainly doesn't fix its short commings or issues.

I am not a Nikon user or "fan" I use a Canon, Panasonic and a Sony Nex so this is not sour grapes from me.
Cheers to you who played fair and Cheers to Olympus who have made a great camera, but to some of its fans please just stop, you have tarnished the 43rd community and no one cares what you say because YOU are not credable nor trustworthy.

Comment edited 1 minute after posting
2 upvotes
Alien from Mars
By Alien from Mars (Jan 4, 2013)

you don't know when to stop, do you?

7 upvotes
Pal2012
By Pal2012 (Jan 4, 2013)

And you do?

0 upvotes
Anepo
By Anepo (Jan 4, 2013)

So just because i Own a micro four thirds camera it means I am not trusthworthy despite having owned several DSLR's, SLR's & compact cameras? Nice! Your logic astounds me.
And your even more full of sh** because your crying that the Canon was not given the first place because your a canon user.

4 upvotes
lpv
By lpv (Jan 4, 2013)

don't get bitter. get better.

0 upvotes
Alumna Gorp
By Alumna Gorp (Jan 4, 2013)

I don`t know why some people are so upset.

The OMD has been a game changer for many of us. I`ve seen plenty of Canon and Nikon users jump ship and others who have picked up an OMD thinking it will be a good back up system and are now thinking of disposing there old system.

The fact is, a lot of ex Canon and ex Nikon users also voted for the OMD.

6 upvotes
Anepo
By Anepo (Jan 4, 2013)

I jumped ship because FINALLY the M43 had a REAL contender with the entry level Canon DSLR's in terms of focus speed & image quality and gives you very pocketable options, I was not happy with the E-PL2 because of the horribly slow autofocus so I switched back to Canon and now as an OMD user this to me has been a game changer, a "650D" in pocket size.

3 upvotes
Just Having Fun
By Just Having Fun (Jan 4, 2013)

What is really amazing is the E-M5 won despite all the new people that magically popped up to vote against it and to bash it here in this comments section.

Most of the negative posts are from accounts created in the past few days like "Just Posted" and "LPV".
The positive posts are from, not Olympus fans, but rather former DSLR owners like me (actually my primary camera today is my new D600).

Oh, and since many camera sites named "E-M5" camera of the year too (and did not rely on user polls), I think this is legit. They'll lose some Canikon marketing money and get some pressure, but they made the right choice too.
I bet "Just Post" opened up a few new accounts on those sites to complain also. :)

9 upvotes
lpv
By lpv (Jan 4, 2013)

if someone open account yesterday that doesn't mean he started taking photos yesterday. please read carefully posts and with understanding.. doing this way we all avoid repeat ourselves just to explain all over again, because you did not read carefully and with understanding in the first place. thank you.

1 upvote
mister_roboto
By mister_roboto (Jan 4, 2013)

"if someone open account yesterday that doesn't mean he started taking photos yesterday. " Yes that's true, but it means nothing, and you totally missed his point.

1 upvote
Pal2012
By Pal2012 (Jan 4, 2013)

Seems to me that those two that you mention did not show up here well after the poll had closed makes this just another dishonest sounding post that has erased any credability.

Comment edited 48 seconds after posting
1 upvote
lpv
By lpv (Jan 4, 2013)

as I wrote before:
1) for me some of the products ( like olympus om-d) are simply not there yet - not to be consider as a tool for anything.
2) well.. film user here:) not nikon fan, nikon user.. and for me this company haven't done anything of a use since fm3a and coolscan's.
choosen fm3a for 1/250 flash sync; not interested in new nikon glass, can't mount G lenses on fm.. I was really looking forward when they announced 24, 35, 84 f1.4 lenses.. was thinking to switch to F100, but sadly build quality of these lenses is behind AiS so nothing interesting from Nikon for a decade :)
so my negative comment goes to nikon as well. we are all here for to share personal opinions and tastes. I've never been a fan of sub formats and equivalents... instead a much prefer real things that serve me well for really long time.
Never shoot this OM-D camera, just hold it for a while at store and didn't like at all... it's toy product if you compare it to OM film based cameras..

2 upvotes
lpv
By lpv (Jan 4, 2013)

from what people got to share on flickr, image quality from OM-D is really poor.. however I do understand all the hype since the world joyfully marches from better to worse.

2 upvotes
Anepo
By Anepo (Jan 4, 2013)

Obviously LPV does not know ANYTHING What he is talking about, the OM-D easily out performs several DSLR's including the 650D.

1 upvote
Josh152
By Josh152 (Jan 5, 2013)

The 650D with it's ancient sensor is the only current generation DSLR the OMD out classes IQ wise and even then it is not be more than a hair. Which says a lot more about the state of Canons sensors than it does about the OMD.

0 upvotes
CFynn
By CFynn (Jan 4, 2013)

I don't have one - but it seems like a good choice.

It seems to be the first mirrorless camera that is pretty much the equal of an enthusiast / semi-pro APS-C DSLR.

The EVF and AF are only going to get better in succeeding models.

Sure the 5DMkIII and D800 offer superior IQ - but I think the OM-D EM-5 is more revolutionary

Comment edited 5 minutes after posting
10 upvotes
Anepo
By Anepo (Jan 4, 2013)

Not to mention the OM-D is a slightly better IQ than the 650D and has less noise than a 7D according to DXO marks

3 upvotes
Josh152
By Josh152 (Jan 5, 2013)

Those cameras are using 4 going on 5 year old sensors. If you compare the OMD to say the D3200 or D7000 or any APS-C camera using a more recent sensor you get a very different result. You are basically saying that m4/3 sensors have finally caught up to where APS-C was 5 years ago. Doesn't sound so good now does it?

0 upvotes
ThePhilips
By ThePhilips (Jan 4, 2013)

Every prominent article featuring the E-M5 in 2012 got 1000+ comment here. Including this poll.

I wonder if any camera would stir as much controversy as the E-M5 in the 2013.

3 upvotes
JVSuryanarayana
By JVSuryanarayana (Jan 4, 2013)

I own Canon 5D Mk III and like the IQ very much. I tried Canon 1DX also but for IQ I found only 1Ds Mk III superior to 5D Mk III. I can't say any thing about Nikon or Olympus though I respect both. But, a caveat. Micro four thirds can't be compared with FF cameras.

Comment edited 2 minutes after posting
3 upvotes
Mike_PEAT
By Mike_PEAT (Jan 4, 2013)

EVERY camera format is a compromise between its benefits and negatives. 135/35mm users think they are the be all and end all of photography...THEY AREN'T!

Personally I've used medium and large format cameras, I even used a 6ft tall process camera that used sheet film up to 24"x36" (that's 2ftx3ft), I also used "full frame" film for 20 years. Each of those formats had its benefits and negatives. Yet today my preference is m4/3 as the best format FOR ME.

It's like having a vehicle of the year competition and the choices include full size vans, and two seater sports cars...the sports car of this year's cameras won.

14 upvotes
J2Gphoto
By J2Gphoto (Jan 4, 2013)

@ marike6 What your definition of a better camera is may not be the same as someone else. For me the OMD is the better camera. Why? Simple. Size, weight, quality and price. I can walk around with my OMD around my neck and a lens in each pocket and cover macro, wide angle and telephoto. Throw in the weather sealing and for me it's the best damn no brainer camera I could find. I did a photowalk in pouring down rain with my OMD and the 12-50 mounted. The ONLY other person in the group who was not coddling and worried about their camera was another Olympus shooter. Every Canon, Nikon and Sony user there kept their camera's under plastic, or their jacket. For a LOT of people, the OMD is just right. As for a popularity contest, I'd like to know how other sites who did not have votes came up with the same results. You base your opinion on one thing and one thing only and that is why you will never understand how and why the OMD won.( EDIT) my fault I posted this under wrong person lol

Comment edited 1 minute after posting
6 upvotes
marike6
By marike6 (Jan 4, 2013)

It's hilarious to see the m43 fans beaming with pride because their camera won a popularity contest. The fact is "Reader Polls" are almost always driven by fans voting for whatever camera they own.

But it seems some actually believe that the results of an online poll are some indication of superiority. All I can say is if you shot with a 5D3, A99, D800 or D600 it's doubtful you'd vote for an EM5.

3 upvotes
texinwien
By texinwien (Jan 4, 2013)

Sorry your personal favorite lost.

What's actually hilarious is to see that you've personally posted more than 30 comments about this meaningless popularity contest. You sure seem to be expending a lot of effort on something this petty.

Comment edited 11 minutes after posting
12 upvotes
marike6
By marike6 (Jan 4, 2013)

30 comments? Today is the first time I posted anything in this thread. But if you honestly believe the EM5, a camera with just slightly better IQ than a GX1 is a better camera than a D800 or 5D3, then you are simply delusional. Imagine the one thing you can say is "it's smaller". How embarrassing.

And remember that now you're saying it's petty, but wasn't it your forum that actually called for people to "do their duty and vote for the EM5"? Sounds like this "petty" poll was extremely important to you. Important enough to urge people to vote for the EM5. I guess when it so rare that m43 wins anything, you grab onto any crumb of accolades, even an online readers poll.

2 upvotes
texinwien
By texinwien (Jan 4, 2013)

Including this last comment, plus your comments from the poll page, you have made 33 comments on the topic.

All I can say is that DPReview chose the contestants, the people have voted, and your favorite lost. I'll leave you to continue talking about an apparently totally meaningless poll now.

By the way, I'm not saying it's petty - you are. Get it right.

Ciao.

Comment edited 42 seconds after posting
10 upvotes
Mike_PEAT
By Mike_PEAT (Jan 4, 2013)

And if the D800e won we wouldn't be seeing the exact same "beaming with pride" done by them? Of course we would.

Anyway, it's not like this was the only user poll where the OM-D beat out the D800e...DC Watch's members also chose the OM-D over the D800e!

6 upvotes
marike6
By marike6 (Jan 4, 2013)

So you don't think a reader's poll is petty? That's pretty pathetic.

By the way, I'll post 150 times if I want to. What's it to you? What are you counting my posts? That's kind of weird don't you think?

All I know is only one camera had posts all over the web ASKING for people to vote EM5. And now that the count is in, EM5 users actually think it's a better camera than a 5D3 or D800. Now that is truly sad.

http://www.mu-43.com/f42/camera-year-2012-dpreview-38309/index8.html#post375117

2 upvotes
Macx
By Macx (Jan 4, 2013)

It would be truly sad if Nikon D800 or Canon 5D3 owners thought their cameras were somehow better than the OM-D, too. They are different machines suited for different people and different needs, and this poll doesn't change one thing about either of them.

4 upvotes
ThePhilips
By ThePhilips (Jan 4, 2013)

> The fact is "Reader Polls" are almost always driven by fans voting for whatever camera they own.

Everybody's aware of it, including DPR who hosted the poll.

> But it seems some actually believe that the results of an online poll are some indication of superiority.

True. It's very obvious that you do. At least I see no other explanation for you countless "WTF!?" comments here.

> All I can say is if you shot with a 5D3, A99, D800 or D600 it's doubtful you'd vote for an EM5.

Had you read comments below, you would have known that many nD/Dnnn/Axx users actually done precisely that - voted for E-M5.

4 upvotes
Infared
By Infared (Jan 4, 2013)

Marike6
you are dead wrong. I personally own a 5DIII and an OM-D. I think that my 5D III is an incredible camera ....but it is a nice upgrade from the 5DIII, incremental and very, very solid with the features.
...BUT the OM-D is sooooooo inovative, so much fun to shoot with, so small with a GREAT little grip, incredible selection of great primes (remember, this "system" has only been around for a couple of years). Everytime I use the camera I am amazed at what it can do for the size of the package. ...
...is the image quality better with my 5DIII? YES. ...but that alone does not make a camera stand out.

Comment edited 8 minutes after posting
9 upvotes
Infared
By Infared (Jan 4, 2013)

...Furthermore...maybe if Nikon or Canon had put 3-Axis IBIS in their top cameras AND made all of their bodies and lenses smaller while still delivering incredible image quality...they could have had best camera of 2012. Yeah...the Nikon D-800/800E is a fabulous camera...but not the best camera of 2012. It just isn't for everybody. I would not own one because I would not want to crunch files that size. I hang my work in galleries, but the OM and the Canon are all I need ...why make more work for myself. AND... then I repeat everything that texanwein had to say to you! :-)...
Now...does anyone want to borrow my Brownie with the incredible built in flash??? ...just remember to bring some flash bulbs!

Comment edited 24 seconds after posting
6 upvotes
olypan
By olypan (Jan 4, 2013)

This muppet has spent most of his miserable time on the M43 forum in the last year, moaning and arguing. He obviously has some kind of identity issues amongst others.

5 upvotes
AndyGM
By AndyGM (Jan 4, 2013)

@marike6

Read the comments. There was a vote rally on the Nikon DPR forum and on nikonians.org. "All I know"? You mean to say you know just one thing and you even got that wrong?

> if you honestly believe the EM5... is a better camera
> than a D800 or 5D3, then you are simply delusional.

This statement is false. Its the basis of your understanding of this popularity poll (yes, you are at least correct there, this was just a popularity contest), and therefore you are rejecting the result as invalid (and calling those that disagree with you delusional).

Lets float a concept past you....

There is no absolute best.

There is only best for the individual. Best for me, best for you, best for someone else.

Lots of other people have a best for them that is different to what is best for you. Accept it.

The "beaming with pride" bit is probably because the D800, which is a very fine camera, looked like a dead cert to win this. People are pleasantly surprised and are therefore celebrating.

Comment edited 20 seconds after posting
7 upvotes
IrishhAndy
By IrishhAndy (Jan 4, 2013)

It is better than a D800 for most things. D800 is a niche studio/landscape camera. 5DIII looks more balanced.

3 upvotes
harveysteeves
By harveysteeves (Jan 4, 2013)

As an owner of both Nikon D800/e and OMD, I would pick the OMD. The D800 resolution is impressive but the OMD is a more flexible camera whose only downside is continuous focus. The D800 sold well because of the pent up demand for a D700 successor but the reality is most buyers would be better off with a D600.

7 upvotes
Steven Rounds
By Steven Rounds (Jan 4, 2013)

marike6, you are the penultimate H8TR !! Why don't you stop talking and go out and shoot some creative photos...you'll feel better.

2 upvotes
Anepo
By Anepo (Jan 4, 2013)

I did NOT vote in these polls but I can not help but say that seeing my camera at the top place gave a smile on my face, I used to have Canon DSLR's & Pentax and honestly? I have not taken as many photos with any camera since the first one I purchased whcih was a CAnon eos 350D back in the day.

The OM-D is superior to the 650D in image quality according to research but not by much, but the size is a real difference.

3 upvotes
mi1stormilst
By mi1stormilst (Jan 4, 2013)

I have a 7D, my wife uses the Olympus E-PL1 we also own some old instant film cameras and even a couple of Holga cameras. The kids use their iPods to shoot photos and I frequently use my iPhone 4s to shoot photos. I am excited about the four-thirds market and if you are into photography and not fanboyism you should be happy that we all have more choices. Nothing can be lost by advancing the cause. You can always find a reason to shoot with any camera...shooting and enjoying yourself is the goal here. Thank you DPReview for all the hard work you have put into the content here. I have gained invaluable experiences over the years just by popping in from time to time. I look forward to the new and better in 2013, but still enjoy using anything that captures an image :-)

7 upvotes
Anepo
By Anepo (Jan 4, 2013)

Allow me to put it this way as a former E-PL2 user, former Canon user and a current OMD user, the OMD has been studied and checked over and it DOES deliver superior image quality than the 650D but just BARELY & does provide beter noise reduction & dynamic range than the 7D (at the original firmware 1.0 but does not apply anymore due to firmware updates to the 7D)
But it DOES have a focus system just as fast as a 650D or my old 1D mark II in good lighting conditions. So I have finally got the image quality of a DSLR, the focus speed of one as well & the pocketability that I dreamed of.

2 upvotes
bobbarber
By bobbarber (Jan 4, 2013)

Nikon users are saying that Olympus fanboys overwhelmed Nikon fanboys in the poll...

Think about that for a minute.

Supposedly OLYMPUS has more fanboys and more weight in the photography world than Nikon.

Um, OK, sure. Whatever you say.

I went with mirrorless with the G1, which was MUCH inferior to the D700 in IQ (for example), because I needed to focus legacy manual focus lenses. I've since stayed with m43 and moved up to the GH2.

It is difficult to focus manual focus lenses on a DSLR, especially wide open, because you don't get a live view and you can't magnify the view. IMHO, a properly focused photo with inferior D.R., is superior to an improperly focused photo with superior D.R.

Therefore, mirrorless cameras are "best" for me, even with inferior IQ, except that nowadays, I DON'T EVEN HAVE TO MAKE THAT COMPROMISE!

Mirrorless cameras give ME the easiest path to "professional, top-notch results." They are also cheaper and lighter than DSLRs.

I hope this helps.

13 upvotes
marike6
By marike6 (Jan 4, 2013)

Well actually only the M43 Forum had a thread calling for people to vote for the EM5. No Nikon user felt he had to ask/tell people to vote for the D800 (it already tops so many best of lists like DxOMark).

By the way, modern DSLR magnify in LiveView. D800, 5D3, D600, 7D, et al all have fully functional LiveViews with the ability to magnify to 1:1. AND it is much easier to manually focus a lens with a mechanical focusing helicoid. I'm a m43 user and focus-by-wire, and lack of decent telephoto lenses are big weaknesses of the system.

4 upvotes
Mike_PEAT
By Mike_PEAT (Jan 4, 2013)

Re:"No Nikon user felt he had to ask/tell people to vote for the D800"

Guess you didn't read my thread just below this one where I posted a link to a thread on a Nikon forum where someone was asking for members to show the D800e "some love".

Again if it wasn't for the post in the DPR m4/3 forum I (and probably others) wouldn't have even known about the poll...and I voted for the OM-D because I own two of them...not because someone told me to vote for it...the message only told me about the existance of the poll!

6 upvotes
illy
By illy (Jan 4, 2013)

@Mike
ooops a daisy
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50511121

Comment edited 7 minutes after posting
0 upvotes
IrishhAndy
By IrishhAndy (Jan 4, 2013)

EM5 has proper live view and not some inrerpolated image like D800/

0 upvotes
illy
By illy (Jan 4, 2013)

D800 has a proper OVF not like some pretend EVF on the EM-5.....you could do this all day, make silly comparisons between the cameras.....it's meaningless.

0 upvotes
Mike_PEAT
By Mike_PEAT (Jan 4, 2013)

Some here (mostly from the Nikon "camp") have been accusing Micro Four Thirds (m4/3) users of skewing the vote in their favour, by writing about the poll in m4/3 forums. Users of Nikon cameras (and I'm sure users of other brands) HAVE DONE THE SAME THING...here's just one example:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=20766&mesg_id=20766&page=

NIKON USERS ARE JUST AS GUILTY as the m4/3 users, and if the D800e came in first I'm sure we'd be hearing about every post a Nikon user has written about the poll from everyone else. But since the OM-D won, m4/3 users are the only villains.

They'd have a case if this was the only site that chose the OM-D as camera of the year, but site after site have also chosen the OM-D as camera of the year, most of them with the D800e also in second.

If DPR had issue with what was done they would they would have asked to cease posting on other sites, void the votes in question, or banned those who did the posts.

5 upvotes
illy
By illy (Jan 5, 2013)

you mean by starting threads like this one?
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50511121
stone the crows it was you, and you own 2 of them......funny that.

1 upvote
marike6
By marike6 (Jan 4, 2013)

The best camera by far of 2012 is the Nikon D800. But as in music, "best" doesn't always translate to "most popular". But the camera that gives amateurs the means with which to achieve top notch, professional quality results more easily than any of the others is without a doubt the D800.

The gap between the DSLR and MF Digital Backs and cameras is more narrow because of the D800/D800E. That says it all.

3 upvotes
Rockchan
By Rockchan (Jan 4, 2013)

D800 provides very good IQ. However, what you have just said mean nothing when those amateurs turn out don't bring D800 out.

There is no such thing as " top notch, professional quality results" when no photo has been taken because the full frame camera stays at home most of the time.

For most people in this world, they need a camera that can let them take photo as much as they want to. These people don't want a camera that can only be used on special occasion.

The world has changed. There are not as many people today as in the past who are willing to spend a day to take photos. For those people who may spend maximum 2-3 hours a week taking photo, carry a full frame camera with them for a whole day and use only 2-3 hours may not be the best decision.

Comment edited 1 minute after posting
7 upvotes
marike6
By marike6 (Jan 4, 2013)

You make an DSLR sound like it's a giant 8x10 view camera that requires a pack mule to carry. SLRs took over Large and Medium format with professionals and dedicated amateurs exactly because they are small, portable and better suited more situations.

I agree that for casual photos a small ILC or P&S may make more sense. But the poll was for "Best Camera of 2012" and the winner of such a poll should be "best" at something other than being small.

3 upvotes
Macx
By Macx (Jan 4, 2013)

You're masquerading opinion as fact. The D800 didn't get 100% of the vote. Neither did the D800e. There is nothing "by far" or "without a doubt" about it.

If the IQ of the medium format cameras is the benchmark for what is the best camera, it's absurd to limit yourself to the comparatively poor IQ of the D800 or D800e: Pick a medium format camera. If you don't, it's because you realise that a camera's greatness is measured by more than the image quality:

Practicality. Cost. Joy.

For you the D800 or perhaps the D800e (you don't indicate which, but they're fairly similar) hits the sweet spot, but it's preposterous to claim that everybody else must feel the same way. The poll shows that they obviously don't. The rest of us prefer the Sony RX100, the Fujifilm X-Pro 1 or others. And a slight plurality prefers the OM-D.

Nobody is claiming that you have to agree with that preference, but please don't force your choice on the rest of either.

5 upvotes
Josh152
By Josh152 (Jan 4, 2013)

The thing is the OMD may well be a better choice for some people. But strictly speaking from a technological and IQ stand point the D800 is much better and more advanced camera. The sensor alone is enough to call it the best because it literally is the best in any digital camera currently on the market. It even beats medium format IMO since you can't uses those over like ISO 400. Many do not understand what a huge leap forward the new sensors from the Sony/Nikon partnership actually are.

Some people are much better served with an iPhone or a PowerShot A series. Does that make them the best camera? Just because You prefer the smaller size and lower weight of the OMD doen's mean there aren't better cameras out there. Especially in the AF and IQ department.

1 upvote
marike6
By marike6 (Jan 4, 2013)

@Josh152 +1. Finally a voice of reason in a thread straight out of bizarro world.

3 upvotes
Anepo
By Anepo (Jan 4, 2013)

But think of this poll as "the biggest achievement in 2012" then it is the E-M5 for sure because they managed to make a minituarized 650D with slightly better image quality than a 650D and just as good focus speed in bright light and much more compact, now that takes one hell of engineering to do.

1 upvote
Josh152
By Josh152 (Jan 5, 2013)

The fact that the OMD is competing very well with Canon's aging 18 MP APS-C sensor says more about Canon's stagnation when it comes to sensor design than it does about the OMD's sensor which is still eclipsed by current generation APS-C sensors.

In any case the OMD sensor doesn't' even come close to being the game changing advancement the new Sony/Nikon sensors are. For the first time in a while MF digital backs are going to have to upgrade their sensors, especially on the lower end models, to stay in the game. A 50 MP FF sensor with similar performance to the D800's sensor is not only now looking possible but is likely only a generation or two away.

Comment edited 13 minutes after posting
0 upvotes
Infared
By Infared (Jan 4, 2013)

The revolution continues in 2013! :-)
http://www.discovermirrorless.com/lumix-mirrorless/iso-noise-lumix-gh3-and-canon-5d-mk2

0 upvotes
illy
By illy (Jan 4, 2013)

there still seems a lot of wind in the sails yet

1 upvote
GREG HUTCHINS
By GREG HUTCHINS (Jan 4, 2013)

I have been reading these posts and find them all quiet interesting.I have always used canon and whilst I think Nikon were a bit slow of the block with digital I think both manufactures make excellent cameras and lenses. With the introduction of the m43 and the Panasonic GF1 I changed to m4 3 .The reasons are Size(much smaller system) have a choice of lens between 2 manafactures ie pana 7 to 14 or oly 9 to 18 wide angle lenses both exallent quality.I now own an omd em5 this camera is truly inovative and people who ridicule this camera and m4 3 system in general do it at there own peril.One thing that people have to be in this day and age is to have an open mind with technology and manafactures think Sony Walkman and the apple iPod.I know of a photographer who once used 10x8 view camera haselbald and Nikon and olympus 35mm he now uses oly pen and omd m5 only and his photos are stunning because he knows how to take photos and he doesen,t get bogged down with tons of gear .

8 upvotes
G L
By G L (Jan 4, 2013)

Some have really a very very hard time to accept the result of a poll.

12 upvotes
marike6
By marike6 (Jan 4, 2013)

What's funnier is that m43 fans actually think a readers poll is anything but a popularity contest. Use any generally accepted criteria like IQ, AF, Build Quality, Video, there are at least 5 cameras that would easily beat out the EM5 in 2012.

3 upvotes
gadnias
By gadnias (Jan 4, 2013)

Really?

2 upvotes
pugilist
By pugilist (Jan 4, 2013)

my friends, who shoot full-frame canons and nikons, had no idea what my omd em5 was...they thought it was a toy...until they started playing around with it. they were very impressed...and even after two months, i'm still impressed.

9 upvotes
coroander
By coroander (Jan 4, 2013)

Gizmodo's Reader's Choice Award for best camera of 2012 came up with the same top 3, though in a slightly different order:
#1: Olympus OM-D E-M5
#2: Canon 5Dmk3
#3: Nikon D800

http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2012/12/gizmodo-awards-2012-camera-of-the-year/

9 upvotes
DigitalVista
By DigitalVista (Jan 4, 2013)

Popphoto picked Canon EOS 5D Mark III with the OM-D not making it into the top 3 but did make honorable mention.

http://www.popphoto.com/gear/2012/12/2012-camera-year-canon-eos-5d-mark-iii

Same over at Photophocus

http://photofocus.com/2012/10/31/photofocus-camera-of-the-year-2012/

Ephotozine picked GF3 in the mirrorless with EVF catagory, lots of catagories over there.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/ephotozine-best-cameras-of-the-year-awards-2012-20739

We should post all of them, I'll keep looking

Comment edited 3 times, last edit 5 minutes after posting
5 upvotes
Just Posted
By Just Posted (Jan 4, 2013)

For those that want to know the truth of what was taking place behind the scenes at other sites as well as here, you might be interested that this was going on before the poll closed in most of the popular four thirds forums you can just google "camera of the year 2012" and threads like this will pop up -99.9% of them all fourthirds to push the EM-5 ahead of the Nikon:

http://www.mu-43.com/f42/camera-year-2012-dpreview-38309/index8.html#post375117

This is just one example, if you go back some pages or forward or to the other sites there is much more.

Very intertaining, this "camera of the year" cough * *

Unless someone can show otherwise the Nikon is probably more of the legit winner.
No need to attack me, I'm just the measenger. Peace!

Comment edited 1 minute after posting
5 upvotes
Josh152
By Josh152 (Jan 4, 2013)

The trouble is many m4/3 and mILC users feel they have to prove that their camera is just as good as DSLRS. For some reason they can't stand the idea that DSLRS might do something better, especially if it's, god forbid, IQ. That is is why they had to rally the troops and why they are all over theses comments posting juvenile attacks and silly nonsense when someone dares suggest the OMD may have some shortcomings or isn't *gasp* the best camera ever.

Most people are content just to use their cameras but a certain, very vocal, segment of mILC and especially m4/3s users seem to have a need for their format to replace and/or be viewed as better than all others, especially the FF DSLR which is the current standard by which pretty much every other camera except for medium format is judged. They have an inexplicable and borderline religious like need to convert people away from DSLRs to mILC/ m4/3s cameras.

Comment edited 4 times, last edit 8 minutes after posting
3 upvotes
Macx
By Macx (Jan 4, 2013)

Careful, you're confusing your opinion with fact.

This idea that it's unfair that Olympus won just because more people voted for it than your preference is nonsense. It's perfectly fair that what most people voted for won. The idea that there are more "fanboys" who votes blindly in the Olympus camp than in the Nikon or Canon camp is frankly ludicrous. The M43 crowd is very active on DPR, but bigger than the Nikon or Canon crowd? Not a chance. And frankly, these accusations of foul play seems to be the reaction of people completely bewildered by a 3rd party upsetting this Canon/Nikon hegemony in the very slightest.

Despite being the outsider, coming from a company with a recent history of under-performing cameras (but excellent optics), it won fair and square. And what's obvious is, that it's a camera that people enjoy to use. It has worse IQ than a Hasselblad and worse AF tracking than a 1Dx, but those aren't the only parameters people judge their camera by, so take it for what it is

Comment edited 2 times, last edit 10 minutes after posting
11 upvotes
DigitalVista
By DigitalVista (Jan 4, 2013)

@ Macx

Realx its just a poll but I have to agree with the OP that OMD fanboys came in from other sites to "help" with the vote, there were no efforts from the other camps to do this as the post above invites you to find. Its right in the link if you bothered to look, you wanted facts, those are the facts.
And BTW, please dont add to the already growing reputation to make the 43rds camp look so imature as in the end this award is what it is.

Comment edited 5 minutes after posting
4 upvotes
Josh152
By Josh152 (Jan 4, 2013)

It would be very interesting to see the number of new dpr accounts made during the poll and compare it to the average. I have a feeling it would be very telling.

0 upvotes
Infared
By Infared (Jan 4, 2013)

Just Posted & Josh 152: Conspiracy theory, huh?
I bet you think there is no global warming either, do you?

Comment edited 2 minutes after posting
1 upvote
Macx
By Macx (Jan 4, 2013)

@DigitalVista

I don't really mind that more people vote, and I'm not convinced that the few examples of people bringing attention to the poll on other web-pages somehow skewed the result. Whatever Olympus crowd there might be is dwarfed by the Nikon and Canon fan-base. And I think the underlying supposition that people only voted for the OM-D because Olympus has such a great brand is disingenious at best. Olympus has a pretty poor brand, especially compared to Nikon and Canon and the enthusiasm for the OM-D is rather despite the fact that it's a Olympus than because of it.

I agree with you that it's only a poll. None of the cameras above are any better or worse because of it. And with a clearer wording, perhaps a lot of bickering in the comments could have been avoided. Maybe next year the question would be: "Which new camera do you enjoy the most?" or "...are you most excited about", and get rid of the yelling about how the cameras all suck compared to this years new medium formats.

2 upvotes
AndyGM
By AndyGM (Jan 4, 2013)

@DigitalVista:

> there were no efforts from the other camps to do this

There is plenty of evidence that the Nikon camp did the exact same "get out the vote" canvassing. You just want to ignore it because it blows your little conspiracy theory out of the water. And of course you agree with the OP, you ARE the OP!

@Josh152 I have seen no juvenile attacks from anyone that can be called a m43 fan. Annoyed, exasperated retaliation to other peoples juvenile attacks, yes, but they are not the people doing the attacking. When people make franky loony statements that NEX cameras are more pocketable and AF better than m43 cameras, it does make most m43 owners want the set the record straight.

You will find that the m43 user comments are not "proving m43 is better", they are correcting misinformation spouted by just about everybody else.

0 upvotes
Rockchan
By Rockchan (Jan 4, 2013)

Dear Just Posted (who joined on Jan 2, 2013)

I just want to present another fact:
http://www.nikonians.org/forums/dcboard.php?az=show_topic&forum=430&topic_id=20766&mesg_id=20766&page=

Nikon users are not better than m4/3 users whom you tried to attack anyway.

Comment edited 28 seconds after posting
1 upvote
Rockchan
By Rockchan (Jan 4, 2013)

Dear DigitalVista (who joined on Jan 1, 2013),

Since you established an account only for trolling, I have no idea why you can accuse other people. You are either a fanboy of other brands or just a hater.

Comment edited 16 seconds after posting
1 upvote
Josh152
By Josh152 (Jan 4, 2013)

Sigh and yet again the m4/3 fans stumble all over themselves to prove me right yet again. Just stop posting. Every post further marginalizes you guys as just some shrill fanboys.

0 upvotes
sandy b
By sandy b (Jan 4, 2013)

I think Dpreview would be wise to remove the comments from the front page. Normal people coming to DPR to read might wander in here and would probably never come back. The inmates should be firmly secured in the asylum (forums) and NOT be allowed to come into contact with regular people for fear of infecting them.

4 upvotes
mister_roboto
By mister_roboto (Jan 4, 2013)

I would LOVE it if there weren't comments on the front page, leave the crap to the forums.

0 upvotes
chillgreg
By chillgreg (Jan 4, 2013)

Bump: Why wasn't the FZ200 at least on the list? A 600mm f2.8 Leica (designed) lens for five hundred bucks is not worthy?

I don't think it would have won, but can't fathom why it wasn't included

1 upvote
Just Posted
By Just Posted (Jan 4, 2013)

More info please?

0 upvotes
2eyesee
By 2eyesee (Jan 4, 2013)

I think you've just highlighted how meaningless a "best camera" poll is. Best camera for what purpose?

It would make much more sense to have polls of different categories. In the case of the FZ200, it would probably win the best megazoom category.

In my case, I choose the RX100 because I needed a pocketable compact - a category it would no doubt win also. 2 great cameras for 2 completely different purposes.

2 upvotes
Just Posted
By Just Posted (Jan 4, 2013)

Eye eye 2eyesee, or here here if you rather.

0 upvotes
Anastigmat
By Anastigmat (Jan 4, 2013)

Did someone misread the calendar and thought that it was April 1 instead of Jan. 1? The OM-D as the best camera of 2012 is not even funny or believable if it were an April fool joke.

Comment edited 1 minute after posting
2 upvotes
ThePhilips
By ThePhilips (Jan 4, 2013)

Yeah! Outrage!! Leica and Hasselblad weren't even in the poll?!

P.S. Otherwise, at least reading the E-M5 review, as a way of knowing what you are raging about is highly advisable.

4 upvotes
Mike_PEAT
By Mike_PEAT (Jan 4, 2013)

I don't suppose you read all the comments, as I had previously stated when someone made a similar comment as you did that other sites and magazines are also choosing the OM-D as best camera of 2012...DC Watch's members also chose the D800e for second place behind the OM-D.

4 upvotes
Rockchan
By Rockchan (Jan 4, 2013)

It can be the best camera when we combine IQ x Size x Weight x Price.

It is reasonable that people don't vote for those cameras that "they cannot bring with them all the time". Full frame cameras can deliver better IQ but they are not the camera that is "best for actual use" in many people's point of view.

If "IQ" is everything, the winner should be medium format camera (not full frame)

A camera is used to take photos, not collecting dust 80% - 90% of time at home. We can easily bring a mirrorless camera with us all the time(still provide good IQ and selectable zoom range) but I have never seen any human being can do the same for Full frame camera. Even professional photographers need a smaller and more portable system.

Comment edited 2 times, last edit 2 minutes after posting
5 upvotes
Mike_PEAT
By Mike_PEAT (Jan 4, 2013)

Re:"Leica and Hasselblad weren't even in the poll?!"

The poll instructions stated you could have other cameras added to the poll if you asked!

0 upvotes
adrianf2
By adrianf2 (Jan 4, 2013)

And as mentioned previously, people asked and they weren't added.

3 upvotes
sandy b
By sandy b (Jan 4, 2013)

The DC watch poll separated the two D800 models, together they handily won. That does not detract from what a cool camera the Oly seems to be.

1 upvote
chillgreg
By chillgreg (Jan 4, 2013)

Looking at your post history, you obviously wear your "moron" t-shirt loud and proud...

1 upvote
Total comments: 1412
12345