|Previous news story Next news story|
Olympus PEN firmware promises faster AF
Olympus has announced a firmware update for all three of its PEN Series cameras (The E-P1, E-P2 and E-PL1). To be released on April 22, the latest updates promise faster auto focusing speeds and improvements when using the recently announced 9-18mm lens. There are also improvements and bug fixes for individual cameras. The company has also announced a stand-alone Digital Camera Update software application exclusively for camera and lens firmware updates.
All PEN models (E-P1, E-P2 and E-PL1)
- Higher AF speed in still image taking (with all lenses)
Additional functions for E-P1 & E-P2
- Higher AF tracing capacity in C-AF of movie taking (M.ZUIKO 9-18mm & 14-150mm) to same level of the E-PL1
Additional functions for E-P2 and E-PL1 only
- When using the VF-2, you get the flexibility to display the MENU and played image on the LCD (instead of on the VF-2)
- Flexibility to display the REC-VIEW on the LCD (instead of on the VF-2)
Improvements with M.ZUIKO 9-18mm (all PEN models)
- Frame rate adjustment of the live view when used with the new M.ZUIKO 9-18mm
(without new firmware, the frame rate may be smaller on the live view)
Fix of minor technical issues
- Example : The E-P2 displays strange horizontal lines on the EVF when combined with no lens (or old manual lens) and "Grainy Film" setting.
PEN firmware update boosts auto-focus
Hamburg, 15 April 2010 – Olympus is to enhance the performance of its groundbreaking PEN cameras with a new firmware update. The update speeds up auto-focus for photos and movies across the whole PEN range. The new firmware will be available as a download from Olympus websites from April 22, 2010, 3:00 am CET.
Now users can enjoy fast auto focussing speed in still image shooting with all Olympus PEN cameras, E-P1, E-P2, E-PL1. For the E-P1 and E-P2, the update also makes continuous auto-focus tracking in movie mode as fast and accurate as on the new E-PL1. So all three cameras can harness the full potential of Olympus’ new ‘MSC’ (Movie and Still Compatible) lenses designed for fast, smooth and silent auto-focus – the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 14-150mm 1:4.0-5.6 and the M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6.
What’s more, the update enables E-P2 and E-PL1 users to display the menu and images recorded on the LCD when the VF-2 electronic viewfinder is attached to the camera.
Olympus recommends updating cameras and lenses at the same time. To perform the update, please download the Firmware Updater Tool from the Internet and install it on a computer, connect the camera via USB to the computer and follow the instructions.
The Olympus Digital Camera Updater can be downloaded at: