|Previous news story Next news story|
Pentax has announced the Optio E60 digital compact camera. This entry-level model comes with a 10.1 megapixels sensor and sports a 3x zoom lens (32-96mm, 35mm equivalent). It uses widely available AA batteries and should therefore appeal to those amongst us who tend to leave their battery chargers at home when going on holidays.
July 30th 2008 – PENTAX UK is pleased to announce the launch of the new PENTAX Optio E60 digital compact camera, an entry-class camera that is easy to use and has an increased effective pixel count of approximately 10.1 megapixels, allowing even beginners to enjoy high-definition images. In addition to using easily-obtainable AA batteries as the power source, the Optio E60 is newly equipped with an optical 3x zoom lens that enables a wide angle of view. This makes it easy to photograph group shots indoors as well as landscapes in a wider range than most conventional models. The Optio E60 comes with convenient functions that are useful when travelling, such as a World Time function and Date Imprint function, making it easy to capture high quality images of travel memories with the snap of a button.
1. High quality images
The Optio E60 has an improved effective pixel count of approximately 10.1 megapixels, which is class-leading for an entry-level camera. Through a highperformance PENTAX lens and a new image processing engine with improved processing performance, clear images of high quality are produced, even when
photos are blown-up to large sizes.
2. Easy-to-use optical 3x zoom lens
The Optio E60 is newly equipped with an optical 3x zoom lens that enables an angle of view equivalent to 32mm to 96mm in 35mm format. This makes it possible to take a wider range of photographs compared to conventional (37.5mm to 112.5mm equivalent) models, which is convenient for taking pictures of landscapes and large buildings, as well as group photos in narrow spaces. In addition, the Optio E60 also comes with an Intelligent Zoom function that extends the zoom range without compromising the optical zoom’s image quality, enabling high-magnification zoom photography equivalent to a maximum of approx. 17.1x.
3. Supports easily-available AA batteries
As the Optio E60 is supported by AA batteries, it is possible to easily obtain a power supply even when the user is travelling, allowing for worry-free photography. In addition, a thorough energy-saving design allows for approximately 200 shots*1 when using alkaline batteries.
*1：Based on measurement conditions conforming to CIPA specifications
4. Advanced Auto Picture mode where the camera automatically selects the scene mode
The Optio E60 is equipped with the Auto Picture mode, which is a convenient function unique to PENTAX, where the camera determines the conditions of the subject and automatically selects the optimal scene mode. In addition to Landscape, Portrait, Night Scene, and Standard modes, Night Scene Portrait, Flower, and Sport modes are newly added, which allows photographers to let the
camera handle the details for many more scenes.
5. Face Recognition AF & AE function for easy and convenient photography of people
The Face Recognition AF & AE function automatically detects the faces of the subjects in the picture frame and automatically sets the optimal exposure. Furthermore, the Optio E60 is equipped with new functions that apply face detection technology, such as the Half-length Portrait mode that trims the area
around the detected person and automatically takes a half-length portrait based on the detected information.
6. High Sensitivity Digital SR mode reduces camera shake and subject blurring
Digital Shake Reduction (SR) is a mode that reduces camera shakes and blurring of the subject when photographing still images. The image sensor sensitivity is adjusted automatically, to as high as ISO 6400, to match the brightness of the subjects. This enables pictures to be shot with the highest possible shutter speed, resulting in sharper detail and images with less blur.
7. Equipped with the Green mode for automated setup
The Optio E60 comes with the Green mode, which automates the camera setup when shooting still images. This allows even complete digital-camera beginners to enjoy picture-taking effortlessly. The push of a button automatically sets the exposure, sensitivity, and other parameters according to the shooting conditions. This function is useful when asking someone else to take your picture or when you have simply lost track of the camera settings.
8. Other features
1) World time function for 75 cities (28 time zones) worldwide
2) Date imprint function for easy image categorising
3) Image Recovery function allows you retrieve accidentally erased pictures
4) 2.4-inch LCD monitor of approximately 112,000 dots with improved viewability outdoors
5) Recording movies at sizes up to 640 x 480 pixels with image quality rivaling camcorders
6) Panorama mode for composing photographs into one panoramic picture
7) Full-flat design, when power is off, realises convenient and great portability
8) 16-frame continuous shooting that enables for 16 images (640 x 480 pixels/image) to be shot continuously and recorded in two seconds
9) Frame composite function allows photographers to shoot and create images with decorative frames
10) FotoNation’s red-eye compensation function for flash shots
11) Includes the ACDSee for PENTAX 3.0 viewer/image management software that supports Windows VistaTM
12) Support PictBridge, DPOF functions, Eixf Print, and PRINT Image Matching III
|Sensor|| 1/2.33" sensor
10.1 million effective pixels
|Image stabilization||No (Digital stabilization only)|
|Movie mode||640 x 480 pixels|
|Output formats|| JPEG
|Lens|| 3x zoom
7 elements in 6 groups (3 aspherical elements)
5.7 - 17.1mm (approx. 32 - 96mm in 35mm format)
F2.9(W) - F5.2(T)
|Digital zoom||approx. 5.7X|
|Focus modes|| Standard
|AF assist lamp||Yes|
|Metering|| Multi-segment metering|
|AE Bracketing|| No
1/2000- 1/4 sec.
|Aperture values||F2.9 - F5.2|
approx 112K dots
|FLash range|| Wide: approx. 0.1 - 6.0m (ISO Auto)
Tele: approx. 0.35 - 3.2m (ISO Auto)
|Storage||SD Memory Card|
|Power|| 2 AA batteries (Alkaline, Lithium, Nickel and Rechargeable Ni-MH)
Optional AC adapter kit is also available
|Dimensions||98 × 59 × 25 mm (3.9 × 2.3 × 1.0 inches)|
|Weight (with battery)||Approx. 175 g (6.2oz)|