Casio EXILIM Pro EX-P505
Jan 31, 2005 at 08:25 GMT
Pre-PMA 2005: Casio has today announced the new five megapixel, five times optical zoom EXILIM Pro EX-P505. The P505 is quite a departure for Casio with its SLR-Like appearance, large lens barrel and five times optical zoom. The EX-P505 is also the first Casio digital camera to use the MPEG-4 codec for encoding video, it can record full VGA (640x480) video at 30 fps with stereo audio at 4.2 or 2.2 MBit/sec (approx. 30 / 60 mins on a 1 GB card).
Enjoy the best of both worlds with the new CASIO EXILIM PRO EX-P505
High quality photos and movies from 5.0 megapixels, 5x optical zoom, and MPEG-4 capability.
January 31st, 2005, LONDON, UK – CASIO ELECTRONICS CO., LTD. has released the newest model in its popular EXILIM digital camera range. The new CASIO EXILIM PRO EX-P505 is a stylish digital camera equipped with a 5.0 megapixel imaging element and a 5x optical zoom. It not only takes superbly detailed digital photos, it is also capable of shooting extended video at high quality. The CASIO EXILIM PRO EX-P505 is the ideal camera for the amateur photography enthusiast and keen movie-maker.
The new CASIO EXILIM PRO EX-P505 is a high-performance digital still camera with a superior quality video capability. It features a 5x optical zoom, an imaging CCD with 5.0 million effective pixels, and the EXILIM Engine, along with a large 2-inch TFT colour rotating screen that makes taking angled shots a breeze. Additionally, the EX-P505 offers high quality video capability, of 30 frames per second at VGA size, thanks to the incorporation of MPEG-4 technology. MPEG-4 is a video compression standard that offers significantly greater compression than its predecessors which means you can shoot DVD-quality video on the camera. This makes the EX-P505 an ideal digital camera for consumers who are equally keen on creating their own movies.
The EX-P505 is the third camera in the award winning EXILIM PRO range. It incorporates CASIO’s unique ‘EXILIM Engine’, an extremely compact image processing module, that delivers high quality images and high-speed operation, all within extremely compact dimensions. The module’s low power consumption, when used in combination with CASIO’s SUPER LIFE battery, means with the EX-P505, you can just keep on shooting!
Authentic manual operation puts the user in control
With a CCD producing 5.0 effective megapixels, remarkably detailed images can be taken with clarity. The 5x optical zoom lens has macro capability down to 1cm; aperture priority or shutter priority modes, along with manual exposure mode, to allow for complete manual control. Settings can be quickly accessed via the ‘EX button’.
High quality video shooting
The adoption of MPEG-4 technology enables full-scale high quality video shooting in VGA size (640 x 480 pixels) at a smooth 30 frames per second. ‘Movie BEST SHOT’ allows the user to select from 5 sample scenes for a range of shooting styles. ‘Past Movie’ mode even lets users film movies before they press the shutter, while other shooting and editing functions such as ‘MOTION PRINT’ can be used to obtain a still image from a movie. So, if you forgot to take any photos at your friend’s wedding, you can just choose a frame from the movie you shot.
The EXILIM PRO Series
The very first EXILIM PRO model, the multiple award winning EX-P600, was equipped with 6.0 megapixels and 4x optical zoom, along with user preset aperture, shutter speed and other effects. Manual operation is so easy that beginners can enjoy taking great pictures right away. The EX-P700, continued the tradition of the EXILIM PRO series, and remains popular with photographers of all levels. The EX-P505 continues the tradition of creativity, ease of use, with manual control.
The EXILIM PRO EX-P505 will be available from the beginning of March 2005, from all good photographic stores. Its recommended retail price will be £399.99.
FULL MANUAL CONTROL OF STILL IMAGES
- CCD with 5.0 effective megapixels and the EXILIM Engine assure detailed images
- 5x optical zoom lens, with macro mode allowing shooting down to as close as 1 cm.
- SUPER LIFE battery gives approx. 220 pictures per battery charge. (CIPA standards)
- High-speed startup enables shooting only 0.8 seconds after the power is turned on.*1
- Release time lag of only 0.01 sec. means images are recorded approximately 0.01 seconds after the shutter is released.*2
- High-speed picture playback of approx. 0.1 sec. interval
- Automatic power ON/OFF when the LCD panel is opened and closed
- BESTSHOT function with 22 different predefined scenarios as well as capacity for user defined scenarios
- Flash automatically pops up when needed. (Auto pop-up flash)
- Aperture priority, shutter speed priority and manual exposure modes can be selected
- “EX Finder” shows image information in easy-to-understand graphical layout
- EX-button allows various manual settings to be quickly accessed and set from a single screen.
- Manual Assist function displays sample images to show manual adjustments will change the final image
HIGH QUALITY MOVIE MODE
- MPEG-4 format used to enable long-playing video shooting.
- VGA size (640 × 480 pixels), 30 frames/sec., stereo audio high-quality video possible.
- 5x optical zoom lens, with macro mode allowing shooting down to as close as 1 cm.
- Movie BEST SHOT: select a scene*3 from among the predefined scenarios to achieve the best results
- Approx. 2 hours of movie shooting on a single battery charge (continuous recording).
- Past Movie function enables video recording to begin from five seconds before the shutter is pressed.
- Short Movie function enables up to eight seconds of movie to be taken during a single shutter.
- MOTION PRINT function enables either 9 or 1 frames to be converted to a still photo.
- Movie Playback Zoom function enables zoom display during video playback.
- Three types of Movie Editing operation (before, during or after) can be used to eliminate unwanted scenes.
- New body form has a suggest a high-performance yet stylish camera.
- Large 2.0” TFT colour rotating LCD panel enables angle shooting.
- High-speed USB 2.0 compatible for high-speed image transfer.
- Both still images and video images can be viewed on a television or monitor.
- Photo Loader PC software included to enable automatic transfer of images to the user’s personal computer.
- Windows Media Player 9 video playback software and Ulead Video Studio video editing software included.
- Menu display can be set in 10 languages, including Chinese (simplified and traditional), English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Spanish
- Compatible with PictBridge specifications for direct connection to a printer.
- ExifPrint (Exif 2.2) and PRINT Image Matching III compatibility.
*1: with internal flash off, using internal memory
*2: with internal flash off
*3: 5 different scenes: Portrait, Scenery, Night Scene, Fireworks, Silent
Casio EXILIM Pro EX-P505 specifications
|Sensor|| 1/2.5" Type CCD
5.2 million pixels total
5.0 million effective pixels
|Image sizes|| 2560 x 1920
2560 x 1712 (3:2 ratio)
2048 x 1536
1600 x 1200
640 x 480
|Movie clips|| 640 x 480 HQ (30 fps, 4.2 MBit/sec) - approx. 30 mins on 1 GB
640 x 480 Norm (30 fps, 2.2 MBit/sec) - approx. 60 mins on 1 GB
320 x 240 LP (15 fps, 4.2 KBit/sec)
All with stereo audio
Limited only by storage space
|File formats|| Still: JPEG (EXIF 2.2) - Fine, Normal, Economy
Movies: AVI (MPEG-4)
|Lens|| 38 - 190 mm equiv. (5x optical zoom)
F3.3 - F3.6
10 elements in 8 groups, including aspherical
|Focus distance|| Normal: 0.4 m - Infinity
Macro: 1 - 50 cm
Movies: 10 cm - Infinity
|Focus modes|| Multi AF
Free AF area
|Auto focus areas|| 7-point Wide Focus Area
Spot focus area
|Digital zoom||Up to 8.0x|
|ISO sensitivity|| Auto
Movie (Auto; ISO 100 - 1600 equiv.)
|Exposure compensation|| +/- 2.0 EV
1/3 EV steps
|Shuttter speed||60 - 1/2000 sec|
|Aperture||F3.3, F3.7, F4.4, F5.2, F6.2, F7.4|
|Exposure modes|| Programmed AE
BESTSHOT scene modes
|White balance|| Auto
Preset (7 modes)
|Self timer|| 2 or 10 sec
|Flash|| Pop-up (electronic)
Modes: Auto, On, Off, Red-eye reduction
Range: 0.4 - 3.0 m (Auto ISO)
|LCD monitor|| 2.0 " TFT LCD
Flip-out and twist
Enlarged (up to 8x)
9 image index
Rotate / Resize / Trim
|Connectivity|| USB 2.0 (Full-speed only; USB 1.1 equiv.)
A/V out (stereo)
|Storage|| Built-in memory; 7.5 MB
|Power|| Lithium-Ion rechargeable
Battery charger supplied
|Print compliance|| Exif Print
PRINT Image Matching III
|Weight (no batt)||215 g (7.6 oz)|
99 x 56 x 74 mm (3.9 x 2.2 x 2.9 in)
|Standard accessories||SUPER LIFE lithium-ion rechargeable battery; battery charger; power cable; USB cable; AV cable; wrist strap; lens cap; lens hood; CD-ROM; quick reference guide|