Nikon Coolpix 4800
Sep 16, 2004 at 06:02:25 GMT
Nikon has today announced the Coolpix 4800, a four megapixel camera with an 8.3x optical zoom. Designed to appeal to "quality and performance-conscious consumers" Nikon's new baby offers a 36 - 300mm focal length, 1cm macro mode, 15 scene modes, Nikon Best Shot Selector (BSS) and AE-BSS, and a voice memo functionality. It will be available in November priced £349 (approx $515).
Nikon Announces New Coolpix 4800
16 September 2004 - Nikon, a world leader in film and digital cameras, today announced the introduction of the Coolpix 4800 - a high quality compact digital camera combining 4.0 effective megapixel performance, a versatile 8.3x optical Zoom-Nikkor ED glass lens and a range of functions that make operation exceptionally easy.
One of the most distinctive features of the Coolpix 4800 is its powerful 8.3x optical Zoom-Nikkor ED lens. Offering a focal range equivalent to that of a 36-300mm lens in 35mm photography and fast 1.3-second operation across its entire range, it enables all kinds of compositions ranging from wide-angle scenes to close telephoto shots. Within its compact body dimensions, it incorporates one lens with two aspherical surfaces in addition to its two ED glass lens elements, and it also has a macro function which offers shooting from as close as 1cm (0.4 inches).
Despite its wide-ranging capabilities, the Coolpix 4800 is easy to operate. Its lightweight body is more compact than any other digital camera in its class, and it has a well designed grip that makes it easy to hold while shooting. Furthermore, all the mode dials and controls are located on the back of the camera body to enable more intuitive control and each button has one function to eliminate confusion. A high-resolution EVF (Electronic Viewfinder) adds compositional accuracy with a 97% field of view during shooting, and the Coolpix 4800 also features a large 1.8-inch LCD monitor too, which is ideal for both the shooting and viewing of images.
Nikon digital technologies achieve even higher quality and flexibility. A 4.0-million pixel 1/2.5-inch CCD sensor ensures exceptional clarity. High-precision 256-segment Matrix metering ensures consistently high-quality results when shooting in a wide range of situations. The Coolpix 4800 also features Nikon’s innovative BSS (Best Shot Selector) and AE-BSS (Auto Exposure BSS) functions too. With BSS enabled, the camera takes up to ten images; only the sharpest one will be automatically saved to memory. With AE-BSS enabled, the camera has the power to automatically select one from five shots with the best relative exposure. The Coolpix 4800 even has the power to excel in low light conditions too — offering noise reduction to maintain the quality of shots with longer exposures, an AF-assist illuminator that supports focusing in dark places and the advantage of a new built-in Speedlight flash.
In many digital cameras, high-level technical advantages cannot be used without a high degree of understanding of camera operation. With the Coolpix 4800, however, this simply is not the case. A choice of 15 different Scene Modes make it easy to achieve great pictures easily, while four of these modes also offer Scene Assistance which aids in composition in even the most difficult situations.
For convenience in terms of storage, the Coolpix 4800 is compatible with popular SD memory cards. In addition, the Coolpix 4800 has approximately 13.5MB of internal memory, which means you’re always ready and able to shoot — even when you’re not using a memory card. The Coolpix 4800 allows you to shoot up to an impressive 240 images when running on a single Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL1, or up to 360 images when using an optional disposable 2CR5 lithium battery.
For images better suited to capturing subjects in motion, the Coolpix 4800 provides continuous shooting capability for up to 8 images at up to 1.5 fps. It also offers a handy 3 shot buffer function and the innovative Multi-shot function, which allows 16 shots to be taken in succession then combined in a single image. For more expressive capture of movement, the Coolpix 4800 also offers movie shooting with sound — recording TV-size movies at the smooth rate of 15 fps.
The Coolpix 4800 also boasts a handy Voice Memo function, which allows up to 20 seconds of sound to be added to still images. The Coolpix 4800 even has an exciting range of features that add further enjoyment beyond shooting. A useful Time Zone setting makes the Coolpix 4800 an ideal travel companion, allowing the user to simply choose the appropriate time zone on the camera to set the correct time for wherever they happen to be. Direct printing is possible without the need for a PC whenever the Coolpix 4800 is used with PictBridge-compatible printers. The Coolpix 4800 also comes complete with Nikon’s new PictureProject software too — an exciting advancement that allows easy viewing, simple editing and a range of other features that add further fun to digital photography.
The Coolpix 4800 will be available from November 2004
Nikon Coolpix 4800 Feature Highlights
New convenience and flexibility The Coolpix 4800 makes it easy for the user to shoot a great variety of pictures with the versatility of an 8.3x optical Zoom-Nikkor ED lens and the additional advantage of 4x digital zoom. Offering performance equivalent to a 36-300mm lens in 35mm photography, this powerful lens enables all kinds of pictures to be taken from wide-angle images to carefully composed telephoto shots.
Pro Quality Nikkor lens technology means better pictures!
Containing two ED elements and a lens with two aspherical surfaces, the lens of the Coolpix 4800 works in combination with the camera’s 4.0-megapixel CCD to achieve shots with a significantly higher level of clarity.
Simple. Practical. Powerful.
Lightweight, comfortable in the hand, and more compact than any other digital camera in its class, the Coolpix controls have been ideally positioned on the back of the camera body. Its large 1.8-inch LCD monitor is as useful for composition as it is for the viewing of recorded shots. The Coolpix 4800 also features a high-resolution EVF (Electronic Viewfinder) too, providing the user with the accuracy of a 97% field of view during shooting and a 100% field of view during playback.
- Highly precise 256-segment Matrix exposure metering
- BSS (Best Shot Selector) takes a series of ten shots, then saves only the one with the highest level of detail to the memory card. AE-BSS (Auto Exposure BSS) selects and saves a single shot from five with the best exposure. Also offers a choice of Highlight mode, Shadow mode and Histogram mode.
- Noise Reduction automatically maintains the best possible results when shooting in low light.
- A built-in Speedlight further extends shooting possibilities.
- 4 Scene Modes with Scene Assistance — Portrait, Landscape, Sports, Night Portrait
- 11 standard Scene Modes — Party/Indoor, Beach/Snow, Sunset, Dawn/Dusk, Night landscape, Close up, Museum, Fireworks show, Copy, Back light, Panorama assist
- One-touch zoom playback allows instant checking of recorded shots.
- A single Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL1 enables the shooting of approximately 240 images.
- Compatible with SD memory cards
- Approximately 13.5MB of built-in memory enables storage without the need for a memory card.
- Continuous shooting enables 8 images to be taken at 1.5 fps. Multi-Shot allows 16 consecutive shots to be taken in quick succession. The Coolpix 4800 also features a 3 shot buffer.
- High-speed zoom allows you to move from wide-angle to telephoto compositions in approximately 1.3 seconds.
- Movie with sound function records TV-size movies (640 x 480 pixels) at 15 fps.
- Macro shooting allows composition approximately 1cm (0.4 inches) from the subject.
- Sort by Date function puts all pictures shot on the same day together in a single folder.
- Instant Index function creates a composite of 16 shots enabling the user to see a set of shots at a glance.
- Compatible with a disposable 2CR5 lithium battery, which provides enough power for the shooting of approximately 360 images.
- Voice Memo function allows the user to attach 20 seconds of sound to each still image.
- PictBridge support enables direct printing to compatible printers.
- The handy Time Zone setting displays the correct time upon selection of the appropriate zone.
- AF-assist illuminator and a high-brightness LCD make for better results when shooting in low-light situations.
- PictureProject software makes it easy to correct red eyes, view images and do so much more.
1/2.5 " Type CCD
|Image sizes|| 2288 x 1716
1600 x 1200
1024 x 768
640 x 480
640 x 480 (30 fps)
|Lens||36 - 300mm (8.3 x zoom)|
|Digital zoom||Up to 4 x|
|Focus||Macro down to 1cm (0.4 in)|
|AF assist lamp||Yes|
1.5 fps up to 5 shots
|Flash|| Built-in Speedlight
Auto, red-eye reduction, Off/On, Slow Sync
Range: 0.4 - 4.3 m / 1.4 - 14.1 ft (W)
1 - 2.6 m / 3.3 - 8.6 ft (T)
|LCD monitor|| 1.8" TFT LCD
|Print compliance|| PictBridge
|Storage|| SD/MMC card
13.5MB internal memory
|Power|| Rechargable lithium ion EN-EL1 or one lithium 2CR5 battery
|Weight (no batt)||255 g (9 oz)|
|Dimensions||106 x 66 x 54 mm (4.2 x 2.6 x 2.2 in)|