|Previous news story Next news story|
Nikon 18 - 70 mm DX lens
Pre-PMA 2004: Nikon has today announced the AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18 - 70 mm F3.5 - F4.5 G IF-ED lens (what a mouthful!). This new lens joins the range of DX Nikkor lenses which are designed specifically for DX compatible Nikon digital SLR's. Of course the 18 - 70 mm DX is the perfect complement to the newly announced D70 digital SLR. On any Nikon DX compatible digital SLR this lens provides an equivelant field of view of 27 to 105 mm (approx. 4x zoom). This lens is also obviously aimed to 'one up' the Canon 18 - 55 mm lens which now falls short at the telephoto end.
AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED
A highly practical focal range and great cost performance - ideal for use with the D70
TOKYO - Nikon Corporation is pleased to announce the introduction of the AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED, a compact standard zoom lens with a highly practical wide-angle to medium telephoto focal range, good cost performance, and optics optimized for use with Nikon digital SLRs.
An important addition to the DX Nikkor lens lineup specially designed for Nikon digital SLRs, this convenient zoom lens offers ample 18-70mm zoom performance. Equivalent to a 27-105mm lens in 35mm format, such a focal range comprises the most commonly used focal lengths - offering maximum versatility that can accommodate anything from tight portraits to expansive scenes. The AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED also offers easy handling and excellent portability through compact dimensions of a mere Ø73 x 75.5mm (2.9 x 3.0 in.) and a minimized weight of approx. 390g (13.5 oz.).
Optical performance is augmented through the incorporation of 3 ED glass elements and 1 composite aspherical lens that together provide appropriate compensation for aberrations. A rounded 7-blade diaphragm opening gives out-of-focus background elements a more natural appearance, which can be ideal when shooting tight portraits, for example. And through the adoption of an SWM (Silent Wave Motor), the AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED enables swift, silent AF (Auto Focus) performance.
Sales release schedule:
Nikon Corporation will launch the AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED worldwide from March 2004.
AF-S DX Zoom-Nikkor 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G IF-ED Major Features
- A Nikon DX format exclusive lens covering the most frequently used focal range of 18-70mm (35mm equivalent: 27-105mm/ digital 28-105mm)
- Adoption of an SWM (Silent Wave Motor) enables swift, silent AF (Auto Focus) performance.
- A handy focus mode switch enables simple selection between AF (Auto Focus) and MF (Manual Focus) shooting.
- Exceptionally high optical performance designed specifically for use
with digital SLRs
- 3 ED glass elements effectively compensate for magnification and eliminate chromatic aberration for minimized color fringing
- ED glass and composite aspherical lens elements also compensate for coma, astigmatism, and other forms of aberration
- Achieves satisfying light intensity at the periphery
- Employs a diaphragm with 7 rounded blades that achieves a natural blur for out-of-focus background elements
- Enables focus from as close as 0.38m(15 in.) from the subject through its entire focal range
- Compact dimensions of just Ø73 x 75.5mm (2.9 x 3.0 in.) and a light weight of a mere 390g (13.5 oz.)
Nikkor 18 - 70 mm F3.5 - F4.5 G DX specifications
|Focal length||18 - 70 mm|
|Maximum aperture|| Wide: F3.5
|Lens construction|| 15 elements in 13 groups
3 x ED glass lens elements, 1 x aspherical lens element
|Picture angle||76° - 22°50'|
|Max. reproduction ratio||1/6.2 (.16)|
|Dimensions||(dia x len) 73 x 75.5 mm (2.9 x 3.0 in)|
|Weight||390 g (14.8 oz)|
|Box contents||Lens cap: front (LC-67); Lens cap: rear (LF-1); Soft case (CL-0915); Hood: bayonet-type (HB-32|
Nikon 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5G ED IF AF-S DX Nikkor Zoom Lens
Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5G ED VR AF-S Nikkor Lens
|Too low to display|
Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0D IF AF Zoom Nikkor Lens
for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
|Too low to display|