|Previous news story Next news story|
Nikon Coolpix 4500 and previewed!
15:00 JST: Part two of the 'Coolpix³' trio is the new four megapixel, four times optical zoom Coolpix 4500. The Coolpix 4500 continues the split-body line of Coolpix digital cameras, this time we get an increase in resolution and a reduction in size. The 4500 looks much more stylized than its predecessor (the Coolpix 990/995). The 4500 does away with a control panel LCD but keeps a pop-up flash, although this time it's neatly flush fitted. We have had a pre-production Coolpix 4500 in-house in order to produce a ten page preview, come in for much more detail...
Nikon Coolpix 4500
Press Release (Nikon Europe):
Nikon Coolpix 4500
Of all of Nikons Digital Camera range, the Coolpix 4500 needs the least introduction This new 4 Megapixel class camera confirms Nikons design principles which established leadership in the digital field in1998 with the Coolpix 900 swivel-body camera. Award -winning through a combination of image quality and ergonomic versatility the Coolpix swivel design became the expression of Digital Photography new technology in a new design, taking new images from new angles. The Coolp ix 4500 continues this tradition which, for some, has matured into the only way to take digital photographs. Compatible with the widest range of lens converters, the newly designed, built-in 4 x zoom (range 38 155 mm equivalent), extends out to 8mm fish eye with the FC-E8 converter and in to staggering 465 mm with the TC-E3ED 3x converter.
Experiencing the thrill of the Coolpix 4500 does not rely on the purchase of accessories, intriguing as they may be. No fewer than sixteen scene modes special preset configurations for demanding or special situations are available from the easy to navigate menu. Panorama Assist places a ghost image of the last shot in the viewfinder for accurate shot-to- shot matching. Sunset ensures that the natural beauty of low-angle light is captured to best effect. Museum mode prevents the flash firing in low light, when available -light shooting only is permitted.
For the more advanced user, exposure priority can be given to Aperture or Shutter and full Manual exposure is there to be employed by the expert. Focus possibilities extend from full auto to manual and with automatic selection of focus target on the closest subject or manual selection though the space-saving thumbstick control.
Image quality has been Nikon territory since the first swivel Coolpix and the 4500 ensures that the ownership of this crown does not change hands. With White Balance options, Colour Saturation control and Noise Reduction for extreme low -light photography, Nikon have managed to combine versatility with image quality, and the legendary Coolpix swivel macro performance is maintained down to an amazing 2cm. Slimmer and lighter than its predecessor, with a return to the all-metal body and durable black finish, the only question that remains in the mind of the prospective purchaser will be where is the flash? the answer cleverly concealed in a flush housing, it pops up automatically when needed.
Nikon Coolpix 4500 Major Features
- 5-Area Multi Autofocus for easier photo composition
- Shutter speeds from 1/2300 to 8 sec.
- Macro shooting down to 2cm (0.8 in.)
- Full manual, Programmed Auto, Aperture and Shutter priority exposure control modes
- 16 Scene Modes � choose from 16 different �scenes� (Portrait, Party/Indoor, Night Portrait, Beach/Snow, Landscape, Sunset, Night Landscape, Museum, Fireworks Show, Close Up, Copy, Back Light, Sports, Dawn/Dusk, Multiple Exposure and Panorama Assist)
- Diopter Adjustment allows near- and far-sighted photographers to adjust the eyepiece to their specific needs
- Best Shot Selector (BSS) automatically chooses the best shot in continuous mode
- Versatile white balance settings and White Balance Bracketing
- Saturation control for in-camera color control (five steps plus B&W and Sepia) enables direct connection to a printer
- Noise Reduction mode for long time exposures
- Movies with audio (up to 35 sec.) and a built-in speaker for confirmation playback
- Voice Memo provides convenient dictation function
- Quick Review displays images for instant selection or deletion, even during shooting
- Transfer function lets users upload selected COOLPIX 4500 image data to a computer, quickly and easily
- Perspective Control allows you to de-emphasize or straighten the converging lines after you have taken images
- Small picture function creates the ideal image size for effortless e-mailing
- Longer battery life with Li-ion rechargeable battery EN-EL1 (approx. 100 min. as measured at room temperature [20�C/68�F] under standard Nikon test conditions: monitor on, zoom adjusted with each shot, flash used in approx. one third of photographs, image quality set to NORMAL, image size 2,272 x 1,704)
- Plug-and-play USB 1.1 interface for smooth connection to a computer
- Large storage with CF Type I and II (including 512MB/1GB IBM Microdrive�)
- Multi-flash sync terminal enables connection to a Nikon Speedlight via Multi-Flash Bracket Unit SK-E900
- All-in-one package provides everything you need to get started immediately, including Lens cap, Neck strap, Audio Video cable, 16MB CompactFlash� Card, USB cable UC-E1, Rechargeable Li-ion Battery EN-EL1, Battery Charger MH-53, Nikon View 5 (COOLPIX) CD-ROM viewer software*
* Depending on the country or area, the battery and charger may not be included, but will be available as an option.