Jobs at dpreview.com
dpreview.com is the world's leading digital photography website, with unrivalled product reviews, daily breaking news and an active forums community. Established in 1998 dpreview.com has grown to attract over eight million unique visitors each month and around 1.3bn page views a year. In May 2007 dpreview.com was acquired by Amazon.com and with their help we have added sophisticated community features including fully-fledged photo galleries and a popular photo challenge system. We have exciting plans for 2012 and beyond that will strengthen dpreview.com's position as the premier digital photography destination on the internet.
Dpreview.com is looking for an Editor to join our growing editorial team based in Seattle, WA. Responsibilities will include testing and producing reviews of digital SLRs, compact cameras, smart phone cameras, lenses and other photographic eqipment using our proprietary methodologies and analysis systems. You will also be required to liase directly with manufacturers, source and produce news stories and other articles and attend trade shows and product launches.
We are looking for someone who has a deep understanding of the art, science, technology and techniques of digital photography. Specifically you must have a good working knowledge of digital SLR cameras and systems, along with digital photography workflow/processes. We expect you to be able to work on your own to produce reviews from start to finish, with as much attention to detail as we apply to our work.You should be passionate about digital photography and have a strong understanding of dpreview, our principles and our community. You will be constantly challenged in your work and will be expected to suggest and innovate, including taking part in the expansion of our editorial content.
- Bachelor's Degree
- At least 2 year's experience writing in-depth reviews of digital cameras or similar for a print or online publication.
- Experience working with Photoshop
- Authoring tools / experience: Dreamweaver (preferable), Photoshop (essential).
- A good knowledge of web standards such as HTML will be a bonus.
- Experience managing internal and external editorial resources and budgets would be preferable.
- Demonstrable photographic ability and technical knowledge
Software Development Manager
Digital Photography Review (dpreview.com) is looking for a passionate, results-oriented, inventive and entrepreneurial software manager with a track record of launching successful products. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced environment, understands the consumer publishing space, and will lead DPReview in launching the next generation of content, community and shopping tools for a passionate and active audience of photographers and camera lovers.
DPReview is a top-1000 website, owned by Amazon, and originally from the UK. While we use Amazon's technology and offices, DPReview has its own unique culture, with a small but cohesive team of editorial staff and developers. You'll feel like you're at a small start up, with scrappy, product-focused processes, but with all the upsides of working for a big company.
As the development manager, you will have technical ownership of the entire dpreview.com platform and project portfolio, reporting directly to the General Manager and expected to play a leadership role in the conception, design, specification and execution of new products and feature enhancements. You'll lead a talented and nimble team of engineers to create innovative ways to engage and inspire our international audience across web and mobile platforms. Responsibilities include direct management of 4 engineers, process and quality of service improvements, strategic planning, project management of software deliverables within the team, and management of resources across teams. Successful candidates will be strong leaders who can prioritize well, communicate clearly, and have a consistent track record of delivering results. DPReview requires efficient, responsive and creative engineering balanced with high quality and customer focus. You will be expected to represent the dpreview.com engineering team to senior leadership (VP and SVP) within Amazon and across teams.
Our small development team works closely with the in-house editorial team and fast, scrappy, development and testing, and regular (sometimes daily) deployment ensures no one gets the chance to fall into a rut, and everyone has the opportunity to help shape projects from conception to delivery. Developers are expected to understand our audience, our goals and our unique position in the photographic industry, and to constantly strive for better, smarter ways to deliver the content, services and community tools that have made the site the success it is.
The role comes with considerable autonomy and offers an exciting opportunity to build amazing products that will be used by millions of photographers.
Professional traits that are not unique to this position, but necessary for Amazon leaders:
- Exhibits excellent judgment
- Hires and develops great people
- Has relentlessly high standards (is never satisfied with the status quo)
- Is able to dive deep and is never out of touch with the details of the business or the technology
- Expects and requires innovation of her/his team
- Has passion and convictions and the innate ability to inspire passion in others
- Strong results orientation
- Thinks big
- Master's degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related technical discipline
- 7+ years of relevant engineering experience
- 2+ years people management experience
- Broad knowledge of front and back end web technologies and database design
- Deep hands-on technical expertise
- Experience in developing and maintaining large scale public-facing websites, including: UX / CX, System design, Anticipating and tackling scaling issues, Operational tasks (server management and configuration etc)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong business and technical vision
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
- A deep understanding of software development in a team, and a track record of shipping software on time
- Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions
- An interest in photography would be a bonus, as would experience with ASP.NET
Freelance writers / contributors
Would you like to write for dpreview?
We are currently recruiting freelance writers and bloggers to expand dpreview's coverage of photography to encompass everything from video editing to camera accessories to composition and lighting technique. You don't need to be a professional writer or previously published, but you do need to be able to show you're able to produce work to our incredibly high standards. We're specifically looking for people who can write in an engaging and authoritative manner on the following topics (or you can suggest your own):
- Photo technique
- Accessory reviews
- Software technique
- Accessory reviews and roundups
- Software reviews and roundups
- Book reviews
- Printers and printing technique
- Video/movie capture (technique, technology, reviews)
- Photographer profiles and interviews
- Tips for aspiring professionals
- Opinion pieces
In return we can guarantee you unrivalled exposure on the world's busiest digital photography website (over 20 million visits per month) and SEO-friendly links to your own websites (or, if you'd prefer, we can discuss financial remuneration, though this will depend entirely on experience and profile).
- To apply email us with a short description of yourself, your qualifications and the areas where you'd be interesting in contributing.
- Include links to examples of your work.
- Tell us what the first 2 or 3 articles you would like to write would be.