Jobs at dpreview.com
dpreview.com is the world's leading digital photography website, with unrivalled product reviews, daily breaking news and an active forums community. Established in 1998 dpreview.com has grown to attract over eight million unique visitors each month and around 1.3bn page views a year. In May 2007 dpreview.com was acquired by Amazon.com and with their help we have added sophisticated community features including fully-fledged photo galleries and a popular photo challenge system. We have exciting plans for 2014 and beyond that will strengthen dpreview.com's position as the premier digital photography destination on the internet.
Dpreview.com is looking for an editorial writer to join our growing editorial team based in Seattle, WA. Responsibilities will include testing and producing reviews of digital system cameras, compact cameras, smart phone cameras, lenses and other photographic equipment using our proprietary methodologies and analysis systems. You will also be required to liaise directly with manufacturers, source and produce news stories and other articles and attend trade shows and product launches. We expect you to be able to work on your own to produce reviews from start to finish, with as much attention to detail as we apply to our work.
We are looking for someone who has a deep understanding of the art, science, technology and techniques of digital photography. Specifically you must have a good working knowledge of digital cameras and systems, along with digital photography workflow/processes.
You should have a store of solid practical knowledge about the theory and practice of photography, and a strong understanding of dpreview, our principles and our community. You will be constantly challenged in your work and will be expected to suggest and innovate, including taking part in the expansion of our editorial content.
- Bachelor's Degree
- At least 2 year's experience writing in-depth reviews of digital cameras or similar for a print or online publication.
- Experience working with Photoshop
- Demonstrable photographic ability and technical knowledge
- Demonstrable ability to write clear, readable prose
- Experience working with Photoshop
- Bachelor's Degree
Full-stack web developer / designer
DPReview.com is seeking a talented, passionate Web Development Engineer with strong visual design skills to help us craft the look, feel and functionality of the world's most popular digital camera website.
You will thrive in a fast-paced environment, understand the consumer publishing space, have a passion for great UI/UX design, and want to play a critical role in launching the next generation of content, community and shopping tools for a passionate and active audience of photographers and camera lovers.
Our small, but growing development team works closely with the in-house editorial team. Fast, scrappy, development and testing, combined with regular (sometimes daily) deployment ensures no one gets the chance to fall into a rut and everyone has the opportunity to help shape projects from conception to delivery. Developers are expected to understand our audience, our goals and our unique position in the photographic industry, and to constantly strive for better, smarter ways to deliver the content, services and community tools that have made the site the success it is.
You'll be excited by the opportunity to build interactive rich user experiences on a large-scale public facing website, and unfazed by the challenge of doing so whilst maintaining a large legacy codebase. You'll also ideally have a portfolio of web and visual design that will wow us.
We're looking for a visionary who can work closely with product management, engineering and company leaders to translate business needs into rewarding customer-focused solutions. You must be responsive, flexible, and able to succeed within an open and collaborative peer environment. If you have experience leading a team of developers, all the better - this role could involve people management for a suitably qualified candidate.
While we use Amazon's technology and offices, DPReview has its own unique culture, with a small but cohesive team of editorial staff and developers. You'll feel like you're at a small start up, with scrappy, product-focused processes, but with all the upsides of working for a big company.
The role comes with considerable autonomy and offers an exciting opportunity to build amazing products that will be used by millions of photographers.
- Master's Degree in Computer Science or related field
- Equivalent experience to a Bachelor's degree based on 3 years of work experience for every 1 year of education
- 4+ years professional experience in software development
- Computer Science fundamentals in data structures, algorithms, complexity analysis, databases, and web technologies
- Strong UX/UI design skills
- Experience taking a leading role in building complex software (preferably large scale public websites) that have been successfully delivered to customers
- Hands-on expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between
- Solid database design experience with the emphasis on performance and utilizing non-relational databases
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Experience in communicating with users, other technical teams, and senior management to collect requirements, describe software product features, technical designs, and product strategy
Product Manager, DPReview.com
We're looking for a brilliant, innovative, results-driven product manager to own monetization strategy for our growing portfolio of products in the digital imaging space across web and mobile platforms. You will be expected to identify, evaluate, negotiate and manage strategic business opportunities, partnerships and marketing deals, lead negotiations with content, technology and advertising partners and act as an advocate for DPReview.com inside and outside Amazon.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with a passion for independent problem-solving, have proven data analysis skills, show strong ownership/commitment, and have a mix of sales and operational experience in a technology environment. The role requires ownership, autonomy, ability to make decisions, communicate effectively, and ultimately drive results. Our product managers work closely with business and technical teams and this role is an opportunity to make a significant impact at DPReview - not only by helping to shape a future vision for our business, but also by bringing it to fruition.
- Bachelor's Degree, MBA ideal but not essential
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex information in a clear and concise manner
- Ability to think creatively, deal with ambiguity, and manage changing priorities
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills to evaluate complex processes and financial scenarios
- Bias for action, and experience making things happen in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- A mix of sales, marketing and operational experience in a technology environment preferred.
Freelance writers / contributors
Would you like to write for dpreview?
We are currently recruiting freelance writers and bloggers to expand dpreview's coverage of photography to encompass everything from video editing to camera accessories to composition and lighting technique. You don't need to be a professional writer or previously published, but you do need to be able to show you're able to produce work to our incredibly high standards. We're specifically looking for people who can write in an engaging and authoritative manner on the following topics (or you can suggest your own):
- Photo technique
- Accessory reviews
- Software technique
- Accessory reviews and roundups
- Software reviews and roundups
- Book reviews
- Printers and printing technique
- Video/movie capture (technique, technology, reviews)
- Photographer profiles and interviews
- Tips for aspiring professionals
- Opinion pieces
In return we can guarantee you competitive payment rates and/or unrivalled exposure on the world's busiest digital photography website (over 20 million visits per month) and SEO-friendly links to your own websites.
- To apply please use our feedback form with a short description of yourself, your qualifications and the areas where you'd be interesting in contributing.
- Include links to examples of your work.
- Tell us what the first 2 or 3 articles you would like to write would be.