Greg Lovern

Greg Lovern

Lives in United States Bellevue, WA, United States
Joined on May 4, 2004
About me:

:
Pentax K-7 since December 2011
Pentax *ist D since March 2004
O-ME53 1.2x magnifying eyecup
Tamron 17-50/2.8
Tamron 28-75/2.8
DA 18-135 WR
FA 50/1.4
FA 35/2.0
FA 100/2.8 Macro
Sigma 12-24 (original version)
Polaris 135/1.8, YS-Mount w/ K-mount T2 adapter (Mid 1970s)
Misc old primes
Pentax ZX-L (MX-6) (now used only with the Sigma at ~12mm for 122-degree angle of view)
Leica MiniLux
Fuji F810
:
Current Wishlist:
K-5
DA* 55
DA 55-300 WR
Tamron 70-200/2.8
Sigma 10-20 (wish they'd make the 8-16 in K-mount!)
Lumix GM-1
Canon S90 with Franiec
:
Fond memories:
Pentax Super Program
Kiron-made M42 Vivitar 20/3.5
Olympus OM-1 (~1980)
Sigma 21-35/3.5-4.0 (~1981) (not the much more common 1985 21-35/3.5-4.2)
Dad's 126-cartridge, flashcube Kodak Instamatic X-15 (~1970)
Various old cameras in Grandpa's basement (~1960's & early 1970's)
:

Comments

Total: 55, showing: 1 – 20
« First‹ Previous123Next ›Last »
On Fujifilm teases upcoming SLR-style X system camera article (921 comments in total)

Looks very interesting and promising.

I don't understand why they still call their cameras "Fujifilm". That was a good name for their film, but not for cameras, and especially not for digital cameras.

Why not "Fujica", as they called their cameras when they were making film SLRs?

Direct link | Posted on Jan 20, 2014 at 11:24 UTC as 204th comment | 4 replies
On Enthusiast interchangeable lens camera 2013 roundup article (267 comments in total)
In reply to:

Carlos Loff: How can the D7100 beat the Pentax K-3 ? Not even in price, lollll - Or did Nikon by any chance launched the long awaited D400 and you are calling it D7100 ??? Crazy Review

> And the idea that the system is equal is just silly ... when you break down in a foreign city, can you go anywhere and rent a new body or lens? You can with Canikon. <

Exactly, Kim! Your argument is airtight. Let me make sure I've got it straight:
-- It's the system that's important, not the particular bodies, lenses, etc. you choose in that system. What determines whether one camera is better than another is which camera's system is better.
-- An important part of a camera's system is the ability to rent bodies and lenses in that system in any major city anywhere in the world.
-- Such rental flexibility is only available for Canon and Nikon.
-- Ergo, even the very worst Canon and Nikon bodies, whatever models they are or were, are better than even the very best bodies of any other brand.

Did I miss anything?

Direct link | Posted on Nov 23, 2013 at 08:52 UTC
On Enthusiast interchangeable lens camera 2013 roundup article (267 comments in total)

I'm confused. Why do they like the "Cutting-edge 24MP sensor" and the "100% viewfinder" on the D7100 but not the same things on the K-3? Personally I like those features on both.

Direct link | Posted on Nov 22, 2013 at 21:33 UTC as 100th comment | 3 replies

Finally, a camera in the color scheme I need to take the pictures I've always wanted to take!

Direct link | Posted on Oct 21, 2013 at 23:15 UTC as 84th comment
On Panasonic DMC-GM1 preview (639 comments in total)
In reply to:

Elaka Farmor: WHY using 1080/60i instead of 60p ?? Because interlaced is superior progresive? So it must be! I learn new things every day.

That's explained thoroughly at the Imaging Resource review.

In a nutshell, they had to disable 60p because the camera is too small to dissipate the heat generated by 60p.

Bulb exposure had to be excluded for the same reason.

Direct link | Posted on Oct 17, 2013 at 10:06 UTC
On Panasonic DMC-GM1 preview (639 comments in total)

Just for grins, I'd like to see a picture of it with the 4/3 adapter and the Olympus 14-35/2.0.

Direct link | Posted on Oct 17, 2013 at 09:05 UTC as 162nd comment | 1 reply
On Panasonic DMC-GM1 preview (639 comments in total)

This is amazing. I love miniaturization. The technical discussion at the Imaging Resource review, especially of the tiny new shutter technology, is fascinating.

I would love to see a classic rangefinder-style flip-down leather case for it, scaled down to fit.

Of course the GM-1 won't replace anyone's enthusiast-level camera, and isn't meant to. And yes, the flatter compacts of similar width and height are certainly more pocketable.

But for high-image quality (if it turns out to be all it should be) in a tiny package, this is mind-bending.

Direct link | Posted on Oct 17, 2013 at 08:37 UTC as 168th comment
On Panasonic DMC-GM1 preview (639 comments in total)

@Allison Johnson:

Can you please show us a picture of the GM-1 side-by-side with the Pentax Q7?

Greg

Direct link | Posted on Oct 17, 2013 at 08:25 UTC as 171st comment | 2 replies
On Panasonic DMC-GM1 preview (639 comments in total)
In reply to:

PatrickP: Why on earth would Panasonic intentionally cripple the 1080/60p functionality?

If it is the same sensor as GX7, then the sensor does 1080/60p by default.

This is so sad. it would have been the perfect pocket camera for me. now GX1 would definitely get the nod instead just for having 1080/60p alone.

That's explained thoroughly at the Imaging Resource review.

In a nutshell, they had to disable 60p because the camera is too small to dissipate the heat generated by 60p.

Bulb exposure had to be excluded for the same reason.

Direct link | Posted on Oct 17, 2013 at 08:01 UTC

This is amazing. I love miniaturization.

If I'm reading correctly, it's smaller than the Pentax Q7 in all dimensions even though the sensor is much larger. And it appears to have the same very good new sensor as the latest Olympus micro 4/3 bodies like the OM-D and EP-5.

If it turns out to be all it looks like it should be, it really spanks Pentax (as a longtime and current Pentax user I believe I'm allowed to say that when warranted).

I'd love to see a side-by-side picture of this GM1 and the Q7.

Direct link | Posted on Oct 17, 2013 at 06:34 UTC as 25th comment | 4 replies
In reply to:

Peiasdf: 24-105mm F/4 or 24-150mm F/4?

Obviously it's a 1-5420!

Direct link | Posted on Oct 16, 2013 at 17:28 UTC
On Pentax K-3 preview (961 comments in total)
In reply to:

Greg Lovern: If I understand correctly, the K-3 would have no anti-aliasing available at all for shutter speeds faster than 1/1000, and there seems to be some uncertainty about how well it would work faster than 1/500.

So if you're the type of user who would have chosen the K-5 II over the K-5 IIs because you'd prefer to just avoid the possibility of moire and accept the tiny AA blurring, the K-3 is effectively max shutter speed 1/1000, or possibly max 1/500 for best effect.

Is that correct?

@Raist3d:

> Where did you read the revolution for the AA simulation is every 1/500? <

I found it again; it was the Imaging Resource preview:

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/pentax-k3/pentax-k3A.HTM

Scroll down to the section with the header "A Geek's Guide to On-Demand Low-Pass Filtering". Most of the stuff about 500 Hz is toward the end of that section.

Direct link | Posted on Oct 12, 2013 at 03:26 UTC
On Pentax K-3 preview (961 comments in total)
In reply to:

Richard Murdey: I hope the engineer who had the flash of inspiration "hey, maybe the sensor shift mechanism can be used to mimic an AA filter" got a nice bonus for his troubles.

@Mescalamba:

> I just dont remember when was last time when Pentax had great idea (or made anything great) and it actually worked... <

Weather-sealing for entry-level & enthusiast DSLRs? At the time the K-10D and K-200D were introduced, it was only available in N/C's largest anvils.

The K-200D didn't so that well because there were no consumer-grade weather-sealed lenses to go with it at the time, but that's been fixed since then.

Direct link | Posted on Oct 10, 2013 at 20:59 UTC
On Pentax K-3 preview (961 comments in total)
In reply to:

GrahamSeventy1: Fixed LCD, no thanks.

@brendon1000:

> I do a lot of tripod shooting and not having to bend down every-time I take a shot from a low level is a big bonus. <

Right-angle viewers are great for that too.

Direct link | Posted on Oct 10, 2013 at 20:51 UTC
On Pentax K-3 preview (961 comments in total)
In reply to:

Greg Lovern: If I understand correctly, the K-3 would have no anti-aliasing available at all for shutter speeds faster than 1/1000, and there seems to be some uncertainty about how well it would work faster than 1/500.

So if you're the type of user who would have chosen the K-5 II over the K-5 IIs because you'd prefer to just avoid the possibility of moire and accept the tiny AA blurring, the K-3 is effectively max shutter speed 1/1000, or possibly max 1/500 for best effect.

Is that correct?

@Rais3d - Not sure now where I read about it, but if I understand the point correctly:

-- To simulate the AA filter blurring, it needs to blur 1 photosite wide and 1 photosite tall.
-- To do so, it moves in a circle with a diameter of 1 photosite.
-- It completes one such revolution every 1/500 second.
-- So at shutter speeds faster than 1/500 second, it does not have time to make one complete revolution. Therefore incomplete blurring.
-- At 1/1000 shutter speed, it has time to move through half the circle, which is 1 photosite wide in one direction but only half a photosite wide in the other direction.
-- At shutter speeds faster than 1/1000, it doesn't have time to move 1 photosite wide in any direction.
-- At faster and faster shutter speeds it has less and less time to move, and so makes less and less movement during the exposure. At the K-3's max shutter speed of 1/8000, that isn't much movement. 1/16 of a revolution. Like a clock moving from 12:00 to not quite 12:04.

Direct link | Posted on Oct 10, 2013 at 20:34 UTC
On Pentax K-3 preview (961 comments in total)
In reply to:

beenthere: Nikon had better get off their behinds and put out something that looks/smells like a D400, even if they don't call it that. I'm pricing my Nikon F glass to see what their trade-in value is because I'm tired of waiting. D7100 is only about 60% there. Show us some love Nikon, we're not going to wait forever and FX is not in the cards for many of us.

@brendon1000:

> In India Pentax is missing from the market <

That's unfortunate for photographers in India who might otherwise be interested in Pentax, but how much of the world market is India?

Ricoh has plenty of money to play the long game. I'd guess they want to gain strength in their current markets before expanding to markets that Pentax is not currently in.

>Sony is the only other camera company to offer a FF line up <

Sony's FF line is interesting but by all acounts they aren't making money at it. Pentax is strong in APS-C and should stay out of FF, at least for a long time to come; they have much more urgent things to do with Ricoh's money.

Where I said Sony appeals to a small niche I meant their APS-C offerings; I was not referring to FF. Since this thread's context is clearly APS-C I'm not sure how you took any FF inference from my post. Sony's APS-C offerings are interesting but unusual; they do not have very broad appeal like the K-3.

Direct link | Posted on Oct 10, 2013 at 20:04 UTC
On Pentax K-3 preview (961 comments in total)
In reply to:

LazyFatCat: If there is tilting LCD screen and combination AF so It will be better.

@brendon1000:

> Pentax was known to have slow AF but ... Now the K3 seems to have far better AF than its predecessors. <

Pentax's AF speed has improved with every flagship model since the *ist D. The rate of improvement has been faster than improvements in other brands, and by the K-5 in 2010 Pentax's AF speed had made the gap so narrow that it made little difference in most shooters' real-world shooting.

However there's still a meme out there that Pentax AF is glacially slow. All evidence to the contrary, people still believe it.

I used an original 2003 *ist D for 6 years and it's AF was not too slow to easily work around. It was only unacceptably slow for people who ignored Pentax's advice and put NIMH rechargeables in their *ist series bodies. Those batteries are 1.2V instead of 1.5V, and the *ist series did not have the hardware to convert the voltage up to 1.5V, so for those users, AF speed was in fact very slow. It's those users' experience that led to that meme.

Direct link | Posted on Oct 10, 2013 at 19:07 UTC
On Pentax K-3 preview (961 comments in total)
In reply to:

Amateurbob: In the days of film Pentax was my camera of choice. I had a Pentax ME that I really liked. Pentax was known for high quality compact cameras and lenses. Compact is not Pentax’s forte today. They are leaving that to Sony. Pentax cameras are big and bulky. The older Pentax film lenses I now use on a Sony Nex camera. However, using a 35mm film lens on an APS camera must result in lower resolution than would be obtained on full frame. The lines per mm may be the same, but the number of mms is less. If I could afford it, I would be more interested in the upcoming Sony FF Nex for my older Pentax lenses than anything Pentax offers. If Pentax came out with an FF k-01 with view finder I would be very interested.

A question for those in the know: if moiré can be controlled by shaking the sensor, can it be equally controlled by post processing software simulating shaking the sensor? If so why add the extra complexity to the camera and why not use such software on any camera?

@brendan1000:

A while back I measured total length for several NEX lenses and K equivalents on K. I found that NEX was only significantly shorter at super wide angle, like the 16mm. Other focal lengths, comparing apples to apples, were very similar lengths or somewhat shorter for K.

It's been a while since I made that comparison and there are more NEX lenses since then. But for medium and long focal lengths, my understanding is that the absence of the mirror box just means the lens has to be that much longer.

Can you provide apples-to-apples examples of lenses of medium or long focal lengths that are significantly shorter combined total length on NEX than on K?

Direct link | Posted on Oct 10, 2013 at 18:53 UTC
On Pentax K-3 preview (961 comments in total)
In reply to:

Amateurbob: In the days of film Pentax was my camera of choice. I had a Pentax ME that I really liked. Pentax was known for high quality compact cameras and lenses. Compact is not Pentax’s forte today. They are leaving that to Sony. Pentax cameras are big and bulky. The older Pentax film lenses I now use on a Sony Nex camera. However, using a 35mm film lens on an APS camera must result in lower resolution than would be obtained on full frame. The lines per mm may be the same, but the number of mms is less. If I could afford it, I would be more interested in the upcoming Sony FF Nex for my older Pentax lenses than anything Pentax offers. If Pentax came out with an FF k-01 with view finder I would be very interested.

A question for those in the know: if moiré can be controlled by shaking the sensor, can it be equally controlled by post processing software simulating shaking the sensor? If so why add the extra complexity to the camera and why not use such software on any camera?

@rossdoyle:

Thanks for the explanation, that's very interesting and informative.

Direct link | Posted on Oct 10, 2013 at 18:46 UTC
On Pentax K-3 preview (961 comments in total)

If I understand correctly, the K-3 would have no anti-aliasing available at all for shutter speeds faster than 1/1000, and there seems to be some uncertainty about how well it would work faster than 1/500.

So if you're the type of user who would have chosen the K-5 II over the K-5 IIs because you'd prefer to just avoid the possibility of moire and accept the tiny AA blurring, the K-3 is effectively max shutter speed 1/1000, or possibly max 1/500 for best effect.

Is that correct?

Direct link | Posted on Oct 10, 2013 at 18:43 UTC as 175th comment | 4 replies
Total: 55, showing: 1 – 20
« First‹ Previous123Next ›Last »