Lives in NYC metro area, NY, United States
Works as a Software Engineer; maybe Photog someday
Has a website at http://www.pbase.com/mandnwong
Joined on Jul 30, 2003
Just another amateur learning to paint w/ 'the light of the world.' (John 8:12)
Just learning and growing in this amateur photog thing. Broad interests in the cinema, music and art in general, and baseball(!) too. Picked up the violin (and viola) a few years back and loving it!
Nikon D800 + D5100 + D200 + (now dead?) D70 + 17-55DX f/2.8 + 18-70DX + 35 f/2 + 50 f/1.8 + 55 f/2.8 AIS Micro + 85 f/1.8 + 105 f/2.8 AIS Micro + 180 f/2.8 + 70-300VR + #6T Close-up + Sigma 20 f/1.8 EX + 70-200 f/2.8 EX + Lensbaby 2.0 + Feisol CM1401 monopod + CT3401 tripod + Giottos 3300 ballhead + (dead) SB800 speedlight + Newton Di100FR2 flash bracket + SC28 TTL flash cord.
iPhone 5c for pocket cam -- good for Facebook-type stuff. ;-)
Rode VideoMic Pro for videos when shotgun mic is needed. Also use a Tascam DR-2d recorder (w/ my old Utrapod 2) to double as stereo mic for videos when shotgun's not needed.
Kata T-214 for primary (sling) bag -- it's one awesome sling bag that's lasted me since the early days of D200... and still going strong.
Previously considered Tokina 11-16 f/2.8, possibly 70-200VR, but probably not anymore. And probably sticking w/ 17-55DX f/2.8 on the D800 (mainly in 1.2x crop) for the forseeable future. Maybe some more advanced lighting gear, possibly some AlienBees plus a new speedlight. Finally upgraded to a refurbed D800 after spending a couple years using my daughter's neglected D5100... ;-p
Stuff from old Canon G3 kit: 420ex flash + 58mm Hoya HMC CPL + WC-DC58N 0.7x WA + TC-DC58N 1.75x tele + Ultrapod 2.
PCware: Adobe PSE+PremE 11, Adobe CS Premium (original version), RAWMagick Lite, Nikon Capture 4.x, Nikon View, BreezeBrowser, Colorvision SpyderPro, Nero 6.6, some old Matrox video NLE kits.
PC: Dell XPS8700: 4th gen Core i7 w/ 8GB RAM and lots of HDD space -- plan to upgrade w/ 256GB SSD for system/main drive and maybe additional 8GB RAM.
/****** WEB RESOURCES *******
CTF thread to good basic photog resources:
* Toomas Tamm's basic photog pages (w/ some Canon info):
* A free, basic photog course:
* An excellent thread of inspiring photogs for all to check out:
* A good site for the aspiring, amateur street photog:
* Petteri's excellent essay on candid/street photography:
* Photographer's Rights, Laws, etc:
* DoFMaster calculator:
* Bob Atkins' DoF calculator:
* Moose Peterson on White Balance:
* Julia Borg's tip on White Balance for max DR:
* EPP's Photoshop for Photogs:
* Russel Brown's Photoshop Tips & Techniques:
* Petteri's Pontifications on photography (w/ lots of Canon-specific info):
* Rob Galbraith's DPI site:
* Dry Creek Photo for printer profiles:
* Battery University:
* Fotogenetic's Nikon DSLR landscape photography site:
* David Chin's large collection of useful Nikon links:
* Some simple PP fixes for D200 blooming induced streaking (ie. short banding):
* DigitalDarrell's pointers on D200's MultiCAM 1000 AF system:
* Flash photog w/ Canon cameras:
* Kazutoku's G3 tele/wide lens comparisons:
* Marc Jutras G3 hyperfocal settings:
* My G3 settings for point-and-shooting 1/2 height adults, full height little kids:
* Canon's G3 support page: