This is actually about capture time metadata. I have two sets of catalogs. One is a master catalog holding about 135,000 images. Then I have separate single catalogs going back to 1999 for digital and a separate one for scans.
This has always worked fairly well, but occasionally I find that in my master catalog the capture time metadata has changed unaccountably for a group of photos. Has this happened to anyone else?
My main box is a PC, but I run LR on two Macs as well. All my photos are stored and back-upped in a NAS.
Actually I use LR all the time. I appreciate the fact that the catalog resides separately from the actual photos, since the raw files are in a NAS set of drives. My complete catalog has over 135,000 photographs, although I have separate catalogs by year as well, or in the case of scans, a dedicated catalog. I make a second copy to another set of drives as a backup, whenh I import. It works fine. I also do not find LR 4 to be faster or slower than the 3 series. I can do a keyword search through 135,000 plus photos and get all the responses in a matter of seconds.
Have had the XPro for a few days and just received the 35 mm (I had the 18 mm already).
So far, the images are quite impressive, although no way to test the raw option until LR gets the converter for the XPro raw files. (I have tried the Silkypix raw converter and find it a joke to use).
The jpegs are very impressive; images that in my view closely approach (but are not equal to) the quality of my 5D2. The main shortcomings appear to be a relatively slow focus in many instances.
The high iso images (3200 and above) are actually superior to the 5D2. I have shot all the way to 25600 in a very dark forest setting and captured quite useful images. I'll try and report more once I've played with the 35 mm some more.
Get a weekly update of all that's new in the digital
photography world by subscribing to the Digital Photography Review