Pasha001

Pasha001

Lives in Russian Federation Russian Federation
Joined on Oct 21, 2006

Comments

Total: 63, showing: 41 – 60
« First‹ Previous1234Next ›Last »
In reply to:

Damo83: The thing is it this camera is priced very highly. It's not going to have a problem selling as long as it serves up very high quality images. It's not a Leica or Leica killer. (It's not full frame and is not built by hand, nor is it a rangefinder). But people will expect that at USD $1700 it will deliver stunning results. It needs to otherwise, IMO, people will see no value in the extra investment.

> It's not full frame
M8 was not as well.

> is not built by hand
It is assembled by hand, naturally.

Direct link | Posted on Feb 3, 2012 at 22:31 UTC
In reply to:

Jmmg: Honestly, I won a Fujifilm F10 point and shoot many years ago and my wife and I still love its super CCD and how good a little camera could handle high ISO so well. many trips and parties later we still occasionally use it, then I purchased a Fujifilm F100fd and love that little bugger as well. Fuji's camera build quality was great then, both these P & S is used by my 2 young sons and was being dropped on rocky, sandy and wet surface many times and the little Fujis just kept on shooting. Then I upgraded them to the X10 as our family P & S and travel camera...what a big disappointment! Bad build quality issues--->dust inside lens in the first 2 cameras I got, then the 3rd one on/off lens switch stuck! then the famous"White Orbs" issue which Fuji still in denial and still has no "Fix" for it. I loved Fuji camera for many years and I WANTED to continue support them, but after seeing the problem people had with their X100 and my experience with the X10...X Pro1.....NO THANKS FUJI!

I have seen cr$p from Nikon, Canon, Sony, Olympus and Pentax. And from Panasonic. Should I quit photography at all?

Direct link | Posted on Feb 3, 2012 at 22:27 UTC
In reply to:

NL21458: I live in Holland we have the euro

2300 Dollar = € 1756 EURO (body)
599 Dollar = € 458 EURO (lens)

Total: € 2214

Way to much for me

X100 is in Holland 1243 dollar = 950 euro

> Way to much for me
Do you really think Fuji will lower the price for you if you write this? Nope.

Direct link | Posted on Feb 3, 2012 at 22:14 UTC
In reply to:

T3: Digital viewfinders will ultimately overtake optical viewfinders for the same reasons that digital photography overtook film photography: because it's better and more convenient. Some people don't believe it right now, in the same way that some film photographers didn't believe that digital would replace film. Just like the digital vs film discussions, people will need to realize that a digital viewfinder doesn't look *exactly* like an optical viewfinder, but that doesn't mean the digital viewfinder is worse. In fact, we'll see that digital viewfinders will have a lot of advantages over an optical viewfinder.

So just like digital vs film, the market and users will ultimately *choose* digital viewfinders over optical viewfinders because A) they're finally as good as optical viewfinders or better, and B) they offer advantages over optical viewfinders. Also, there will be some hold-outs who still prefer an old-school viewfinder, just like some people still shoot film.

Believe what exactly? You say "it's better and more convenient" while EVFs today are actually not and it is not a matter of faith. And there is nothing that hints at EVFs possible improvement in the future - either EVF is dim or energy consumption is too high. The situation is like that with in-camera flash - there is not and will never be any room for improvement.

Direct link | Posted on Jan 31, 2012 at 13:44 UTC
In reply to:

T3: Digital viewfinders will ultimately overtake optical viewfinders for the same reasons that digital photography overtook film photography: because it's better and more convenient. Some people don't believe it right now, in the same way that some film photographers didn't believe that digital would replace film. Just like the digital vs film discussions, people will need to realize that a digital viewfinder doesn't look *exactly* like an optical viewfinder, but that doesn't mean the digital viewfinder is worse. In fact, we'll see that digital viewfinders will have a lot of advantages over an optical viewfinder.

So just like digital vs film, the market and users will ultimately *choose* digital viewfinders over optical viewfinders because A) they're finally as good as optical viewfinders or better, and B) they offer advantages over optical viewfinders. Also, there will be some hold-outs who still prefer an old-school viewfinder, just like some people still shoot film.

I used EVF and I can say for certain: it is worse because significantly harder to see and is therefore less convenient.

Direct link | Posted on Jan 30, 2012 at 15:29 UTC

The problem with EVF I have personally encountered is low brightness and the press release is suspiciously silent about the new model brightness but still mentions that it consumes twice less than current solutions. This may mean it is not particularly brighter - which means as dim in daylight.

Direct link | Posted on Jan 29, 2012 at 22:41 UTC as 15th comment
On Fujifilm announces X10 high-end enthusiast compact article (279 comments in total)
In reply to:

ponyman: I see Ken Rockwell has rubbished it, just as he did the X100. So it must be good. I've pre-ordered one :)

Kenny had completely changed his opinion about X100 when he bought one ;).

Direct link | Posted on Sep 2, 2011 at 09:26 UTC
On Fujifilm announces X10 high-end enthusiast compact article (279 comments in total)
In reply to:

Pasha001: 85% viewfinder coverage? You get what you pay for.

T3
The problem is that with, say, 95% coverage most shots may be left as is, without cropping. However, 85% means too much extra which is probably unevenly distributed and varies with focal length, so more manual editing is required.

Direct link | Posted on Sep 1, 2011 at 21:20 UTC
On Fujifilm announces X10 high-end enthusiast compact article (279 comments in total)
In reply to:

grassmann: The best part of this beauty is its optical zoom finder which coupled with the zoom lens. That is an innovation. It would be more usable than the one on G12.

Besides this nice OVF, one still need to use LCD to change some key parameters such as aperture value, shutter speed, ISO...
I can forget about the last one, because one would not change that much often. I feel regret that the nice shutter speed dial and the aperture ring are missing from X10. How about discard that silly mode dial and put a speed dial there?

> That is an innovation.
What's so innovative about this viewfinder? Contax G2 had a more advanced one, IMHO.

Direct link | Posted on Sep 1, 2011 at 18:22 UTC
On Fujifilm announces X10 high-end enthusiast compact article (279 comments in total)
In reply to:

Pasha001: 85% viewfinder coverage? You get what you pay for.

M Jesper
> The Contax G2 is also a full-size rangefinder with at least twice the space to work with. The X10 really is a compact.
They still could make a larger viewfinder assembly because the lens stick out anyway - unlike in Canon G*. Plus what irritates me is that viewfinder is presented as something special while it is not really that far from Canon G* viewfinder, just enlarged a little.

Direct link | Posted on Sep 1, 2011 at 14:02 UTC
On Fujifilm announces X10 high-end enthusiast compact article (279 comments in total)
In reply to:

Pasha001: 85% viewfinder coverage? You get what you pay for.

M Jesper
Yes, this is a zoom viewfinder but there was a zoom viewfinder in the past with 90% coverage (at 45mm) - in Contax G2. It was, of course, more expensive but again you get what you pay for. And please note that today less mechanics is needed than it was in G2, IMHO.

Direct link | Posted on Sep 1, 2011 at 13:30 UTC
On Fujifilm announces X10 high-end enthusiast compact article (279 comments in total)
In reply to:

Pasha001: 85% viewfinder coverage? You get what you pay for.

razorfish
> To even achieve an optical viewfinder in such a camera is a serious bonus!
G12 has one, even some Ixuses had an optical viewfinder.

> To have 100% optical viewfinder coverage in a non-DSLR is impossible!
To have 93% viewfinder coverage with a precise alignment in a rangefinder is not impossible at all as X100 shows us. You can check its review on, well, the other site :).

Direct link | Posted on Sep 1, 2011 at 10:51 UTC
On Fujifilm announces X10 high-end enthusiast compact article (279 comments in total)

85% viewfinder coverage? You get what you pay for.

Direct link | Posted on Sep 1, 2011 at 09:39 UTC as 102nd comment | 10 replies
In reply to:

Jefftan: I mention again that it works
The biggest advantage is if after a trip I have 5000 photos and 20G ,I wouldn't have time to back up on 5 DVD

Now each JPEG become less than 1 MB and I can fit almost 5000 pics on 1 DVD

I won't worry about hard drive failure any more

I would happily paid $50 if it is available as a program

Well, 3.5" USB HDDs cost the same as DVDs and 2.5" USB HDDs are twice more expensive per gigabyte. But if you don't have time indeed the price should not really matter. And mirroring is needed with DVDs just as with HDDs because DVDs rot. I have personally lost a lot of certain TDK discs because of rotting. So there seems to be no real need to use DVDs today.

Direct link | Posted on Aug 31, 2011 at 10:40 UTC
In reply to:

Pasha001: The idea is very old. I recall trying a program called AFAIR "JPEG optimizer" several years ago and it was indeed working well. There was even manual optimization when you could decide where in the image to compress more. But today when a 64GB USB flash drive costs $80 it just does not seem that useful.

Oh, yes. Actually, that "JPEG Optimizer" was recommended to me exactly for that purpose.

Direct link | Posted on Aug 30, 2011 at 10:44 UTC

The idea is very old. I recall trying a program called AFAIR "JPEG optimizer" several years ago and it was indeed working well. There was even manual optimization when you could decide where in the image to compress more. But today when a 64GB USB flash drive costs $80 it just does not seem that useful.

Direct link | Posted on Aug 30, 2011 at 10:22 UTC as 20th comment | 2 replies
In reply to:

happypoppeye: Well, whether you like it or not, you gotta love the effort and engineering for this one. At least someone is trying to see what they can do with lens design ...as Nikon and Canon lenses get bigger and bigger.

Patman888
> Going small for the sake of small is totally pointless.
No. For instance, I don't want to carry my D7000 in a backpack when skiing. It is heavy and expensive. Actually, it is a pity I've bought the (great) 14-45 already, this new lens is more adequate for my tasks.

Direct link | Posted on Aug 29, 2011 at 18:34 UTC
In reply to:

d3xmeister: I hope you all do realize there is no innovation whatsoever. This is just a fisheye lens software corrected. Practically is a P&S lens with a mount.
There are reasons why the ,,big boys,, are sticking with classic lens design. One is uncompromised image quality.

Also, the power zoom is ALWAYS gonna be slower and not that precise compared to mechanical zoom.

Hmmm.... another thing: Do you know the #1 reason why compact cameras aren't very reliable ? You guessed it.......it's lens mechanism failure.

And the last thing........... $400 ?????????????????????

Michael Barkowski
Unless you are using exotic an Sigma camera with Foveon sensor your pixels are not quite pixels anyway - they are products of CFA interpolation.

Direct link | Posted on Aug 29, 2011 at 17:24 UTC
In reply to:

simon65: Wow! Panasonic have just over thrown everything we thought we knew about the relationship between sensor size, zoom ratio and lens size. A truly remarkable achievement and a industry game changer if ever there was one. The combination of a large sensor in a small camera body with a pancake zoom lens is going to prove an irresistible combo.

By the time Nikon and Canon finally get round to entering this market Panasonic and Olympus will have cleaned up.

Congrats to Pani, without doubt this is the biggest camera equipment leap forward since, well, since the advent of the micro 4/3 system itself. Excellent stuff.

nickthetasmaniac:
No, 12-60 was not much smaller, just smaller. According to plain specification 12mm shorter and filter thread was 5mm tighter.
And Canon 24-105L has optical stabilization that 12-60 does not have - not a big deal but nevertheless it probably takes some space.

Direct link | Posted on Aug 29, 2011 at 17:06 UTC
In reply to:

John A Clark: Shame it doesn't have an integrated lens cap ...

Good protection filter is the best integrated lens cap for this lens, IMO.

Direct link | Posted on Aug 28, 2011 at 12:49 UTC
Total: 63, showing: 41 – 60
« First‹ Previous1234Next ›Last »