Desperate times at Nikon.
First we make a product that nobody wants and then wonder why it doesn't sell. Just one of life's many mysteries!
I was on the fence about getting a Fuji X camera but this free magazine seals the deal!
I like the idea of such a camera but it's still a far cry from my favorite Olympus XA. I suppose I can continue waiting a bit longer for the digital XA...
Jogger: Given the type of shooting DPR staffers do, i suspect all of the DPR Camera of the Year will be these types of street-shooting, hipster type cameras. If they asked the same of SI shooters or wedding photogs, I doubt something like the GM1 would make the cut.
What's an SI shooter?
Did you mean CSI?
Fantastic cameras, both of them. I'm just afraid that the 36MP sensor won't fit in my bag..
Chris2210: Does the shorter flange back mean that zoom lenses can be significantly smaller?
If not I really fail to see the point of this camera. I do applaud the fact that Sony are innovating [all over the place, it seems] and I don't personally have anything against EVFs [I have an EM1, which is lovely]. But if you're only going to use this camera with short primes, the RX1 seems like a more compact, sensible solution.
If you are going to build a system that includes large, fast zooms [particularly at medium to long telephoto] what's the big advantage of a small/light body if it doesn't mean the overall package is significantly smaller and lighter?
Whilst I think the slow start up and unacceptable LCD/EVF switch lag may be improved in succeeding generations, doesn't the small body/large lens problem still apply?
A bit of a flawed concept IMHO - a pity.
No, I want several short primes with a large sensor and a proper viewfinder so the RX1 is not a solution.
What if I'm not going to "build a system that includes large, fast zooms [particularly at medium to long telephoto]"?
Then your whole rant falls flat on its face..
jwang88: The JPEG images look impressive compare to Canon's file,but not the raw files. The Sony's file has tons of moire and CA problem as well as much noisier than Canon at high ISO. Too much hype on this camera!
I would recommend a new optometrist.
35mm is good for 95% of my photography. The other 5% I can live without;
I can live without expensive gear sitting unused on the shelf just because I thought I may need it for that 5%. Got to trim down the fat.
Time to hit Ebay for some vintage clothes to match the retro looking camera. I will probably need long hair, a big mustache and some skinny jeans, too. Stuff my pockets with empty film canisters. Gotta look the part.
I asked Santa Claus to get me a Nikon DF for Christmas.He unfriended and blocked me on Facebook.
This camera makes the new Sonys look like serious photographic tools. Good job Nikon.
Nikon FM on cheeseburger diet.
danijel973: Designing a "retro" camera and then building in a fully digital rear side is tacky to the limit. If people are so nostalgic about film cameras, they should have a camera that doesn't permit chimping. You set it up, you click, and you view the results at home. Of course, it would be silly, as one of the major benefits of digital is being able to immediately see if the shot was successful. When I feel nostalgic about film, I take my film camera, load it with film from the fridge, and I quickly get over it when I have to find a lab that can still process the chromes.
Wrong. There are many interpretations of "retro". Nikon has their own, which is retro looks and modern functionality.
jhinkey: I have no problem with the DF for what it is, but I have a major problem with the price.For the cost of a D800 you get a lot less camera in almost every regard except for size/weight, external dials, and high ISO DR.The price should be out of silly land at $2800 and down towards $2K, then I'd be interested in picking it up as a complement to the D800.Now it would have been worth $2800 if it had removable screens, standard split prism screen or a built-in EVF. I guess the built-in EVF will be on a really high end Dx body first . . .
Your mistake lies in comparing the two cameras based on specs. You're not the target group. No need for sour grapes.
I love the price on this thing!!!! I want to feel special and unique when I walk around with this exclusive product.
I look forward to paying $2800 for this fine piece of equipment.
Star Wars: The Return of The Mirror!!!!!!!!!
keith Bennett: in the 'gear used in this story’ section above, where is the ‘i don’t want it’ box?
I think you want one, you just don't want to admit it.
Get a weekly update of all that's new in the digital
photography world by subscribing to the Digital Photography Review